Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: MB 550 - the difference [Re: Mac] #6541013
05/20/19 03:07 PM
05/20/19 03:07 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by Mac
I have a love / hate relationship with the MB550. I really love how well the trap is made and that the price is almost reasonable to old skinflint.
What I hate and wish would be changed is the dog / pan set up.
Growing up and using traps that allowed one to adjust the pan tension without setting up jigs, benders, getting the trigonometry skills brushed, makes working on these much more difficult. I simply am not great at figuring stuff like that out to get a reliable pan tension.
Unlike a lot of pros on here, I may want to set the trap for coyotes one week and grey fox another week. Quite a difference on pan tension. Also, because I am a general all around dub trapper I want to catch that small female fisher or grey fox that visits one of my coyote sets. Not living in the land of milk and honey it is kind of nice to be able to take what comes down the trail, in order to pay for gas and maybe make some money. To me a predator set is just that in my neck of the woods.

Hey Mac, your post made me do this. I use mostly 550's because it is almost Maine legal out of the box, just need to add a mid-chain swivel. I just went out and took a series of photographs to show my method of adjusting pan tension. First photo shows a trap that is ready to use after some cleaning and waxed. Note the ball of wax on the end of the dog.

[Linked Image]

A tap on the end of the dog with a file removes most of the wax. Then I file the night latch four or five strokes with the file. See next photo.

[Linked Image]

The trick to lower pan tension is the down angle of the night latch. The more down the lighter it will be . For more pan tension just file the back of the night latch deeper. The next photo shows the angle to file to lower the pan tension.

[Linked Image]

It only took me a minute or two to set this trap to about two pounds measured at the center of the pan. It measures only about one pound at the far edge of the pan. I personally use more pan tension as when I set a coyote trap I only want coyotes.

To make a set I just pick out a trap file the dog and attach it to my chain stake. The filing only takes a minute or two. I have tried dukes, bridgers, montanas, montgomerys, victors, no-BS Jr's. and MB's. The MB 550 has become my go to trap as it requires very little work to make it Maine legal and to keep it working. That being said the no-bs is the only trap that is Maine legal out of the box (needs to ordered with mid-chain swivel). I only have 24 no-BSs so the 550s are my go to trap since I have about 10 dozen of them.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 05/20/19 03:52 PM.
Re: MB 550 - the difference [Re: Tailhunter] #6541056
05/20/19 05:22 PM
05/20/19 05:22 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline OP
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline OP
trapper
T

NC

Re: MB 550 - the difference [Re: Tailhunter] #6541080
05/20/19 05:51 PM
05/20/19 05:51 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by Tailhunter

Yep, I set mine at 2.5 # pan center with the bender and catch reds,greys,coon and coyotes, no need to change pan tension ounce set. I bend mine 5-7 degrees but mine are 4 coils, may be less with 2 coils. My 450's are set at 1.5, and still catch coyotes. This pan tension thing is way overthought. The less tension the bigger the kill zone! Think on that a bit.. Only takes one toe on the button..

Great post ebsurver, well done

Last edited by trappergbus; 05/20/19 05:52 PM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: MB 550 - the difference [Re: Tailhunter] #6541273
05/20/19 10:29 PM
05/20/19 10:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Why did you not select the variable pan tension option?
Mine all have a dial under the pan to set the tension. Simply dial the desired pan tension and set the trap. It couldn’t be easier.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91