No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw (PICS) #6560893
06/23/19 11:30 AM
06/23/19 11:30 AM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline OP
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline OP

Misery
This past season was one of the most difficult I have faced in my short trapping career, and after the 1st month I was ashamed of my catch totals, but I came on at the end, and after talking to several other trappers in the Midwest, I became more proud of my efforts after such a trying and WET year. It was my 2nd best season to date in my short career, and it was no doubt in large part due to the teachings of some great men in Texas. This is my review of that experience…

In March of 2018 I was very fortunate and blessed to be able to attend the “West Texas Predator Control School”. This is a school hosted by Wayne Derrick, Andy Weiser and Gary Jepson, as well as what I would call “side instructors” in John Nolan and Mitchell Simpson. I decided to go for a few reasons, the biggest being that I still did not understand lure, urine and bait usage and application. That may sound simple to many of you, but I was literally just “putting stink down a hole to put stink down a hole”. I knew there was more to it than just that, and I was willing to pay to learn about it. Outside of that I knew I still had holes in my game and after talking to them on the phone, I was pretty confident these men could help me out. So I loaded up and headed southwest.

I pulled in to the bunk house day one, late afternoon, met everyone and we had dinner that was cooked by Wayne’s lovely bride Miss Dana. Miss Dana is one of the sweetest women I have ever met, she made the stay even that much more enjoyable, and she is a phenomenal cook. She makes the best enchiladas I ever ate. They were so good, that the whole class requested she make them again later in the week, and she obliged. I trapped all week and probably gained weight lol The bunk house was also top notch. It is located in the middle of 40k acres of brush/canyon country in NW Texas, it was a sight for sore eyes after a long day of trapping, to be able to take a shower, relax and have a warm bed, it was more than I expected.

We started on a Monday setting traps, there were 10 students, we drew numbers, and the instructors took us on a pre-scouted route. We would stop at locations the instructors liked, they would give a short explanation on why they like the location, and then we would go from there. The students (starting with #1) could set traps, or pass and get 1st dibs at the next location. We each set somewhere between 4-5 traps (I don’t remember) the 1st 2 days for a total of 8-10 traps per student, then we checked them that week. Every location I set I made it a point to grab Wayne, Andy, John, Mitchell or Gary to help me. This was invaluable in my opinion. These 8-10 times I gathered loads of information. Just little things that they each would point out, things that have helped me immensely, new ideas, new concepts etc, etc. My 1st set Andy helped me with a coyote walkthrough and we connected the 1st night! It was my only catch, but it was a really cool moment to break the ice and be the 1st on the board. Andy was almost more excited than I was, I will never forget that. It was a great moment. My 1st Texas coyote in an MJ600 on a drag. All 1sts smile

The 1st 2 days flew by pretty quick, the instructors wanted to establish a good line, which I appreciated, I think most did. All the students were dying to see catches. So 2 days of setting traps with some 1 on 1 at your set, then we checked traps the next 3 days and in-between checks the instructors showed us variations of sets, and we had open discussions in the field. Every day we also had lunch in the field that was provided by the instructors. One thing I remember specifically was watching Wayne make a scent post on a clump of grass, he was putting his jeans on the bare ground and using his bare hands to set the trap. These were huge “No no’s” or so I thought. A lot of myths were busted that next morning when Wayne was collecting his 1st night coyote. This was a pretty good theme for the week. No BS. These guys would give you honest, genuine answers and opinions. There was no bashing, no running down other lure makers or trappers. They brought their own lures, now a lot of people would think they would shove that stuff down your throat, not the case at all. It was there if you wanted it, and they would give their opinions on what you needed and what they would use in the scenarios you presented. These things spoke a lot to the character of the instructors in my opinion. And I appreciated it, anything I asked was answered with good reasoning behind it. So each day we would set traps, check traps, learn in the field, eat lunch, do more trap checking and setting and more learning, then we would return to the bunkhouse, wash off the red dirt, have more discussion if we could before supper, eat supper, have more discussion following supper, some nights all the way to 11pm. It was literally coyotes every waking minute of each day. It was heaven grin

But to be 100% honest, which is what I want to be in my assessment, I will never forget that on day 4 (Thurs.) I started to feel a little let down. I came for a better understanding of lure usage and application. I was hoping that these 3 great, well-known lure makers would help me out, and it had not happened yet. With only one day left….and then came the highlight of my trip, that night the instructors gathered us all around outside and Wayne, Andy and Gary talked for hours about the what, when, where and why of all things lure, urine and bait. I will never forget this as long as I live, but the 1st thing Wayne said was “You don’t want to be the guy putting stink down a hole just to put stink down a hole”. At that moment it felt like it was only he and I there and he was talking directly to me. I took notes until my fingers bled. There were a lot of things from that week that helped me improve at catching coyotes and bobcats, but none were more important than the few hours of lure discussion that Thursday night. That alone was worth the price of admission. Friday we pulled traps, and Saturday morning said our goodbyes and we headed out.

Conclusion – Outside of anything involving my family. It was the best week of my life. All the things I had hoped to be more understanding of, I am. The instruction was top notch, we caught coyotes or cats every day, the suppers were amazing, the bunkhouse was amazing, the hospitality was top notch. I literally cannot think of one negative aspect of that week. I have stayed in touch with several students and I cannot recall any of them saying anything negative about that week.
The instructors were amazing. They are all men that I didn’t personally know before that week, but I immensely respect them not just as trappers, but also as men, mentors and role models. They treated me like a friend they have known for years. I felt at home while I was there.

I have since stayed in touch with Wayne, Mitchell and John, they are 3 of the best men I know, and I am lucky to call them friends and mentors. I know when I have issues I can call on them and they will help me no ifs, ands or buts. And that isn’t just talk, I have had to call them lol I appreciate these men more than they will ever know, I am a better trapper and person for knowing them grin
Several students in my class I have also developed good friendships with and I consider them to be friends and mentors as well. I appreciate the help I received from them as well. It is amazing the friendships you can build in a short amount of time. Trappers are truly the best kinds of people laugh

People have told me “I can learn those things talking to people at conventions” or “I can learn what I need to know from demos” or “Why would I pay money for instruction when I can call them on the phone and get it for free”. I agree you can learn from conventions, demos and conversations in person or on the phone, I have learned many things from these methods, BUT none of that stuff compares to what I was able to learn in a couple weeks of paid instruction, I know this to be true because I have done it. Some of the strongest opposition I have seen or heard to paid instruction was from those who have not tried it. It is hard to have opinions about things you have not experienced, and harder to get me to agree with that opinion. I have met a lot of trappers who have taken instruction from a lot of different instructors, I have never had one of them tell me they regret it. I definitely do not regret either time I have paid for instruction, it has increased my catch 10 fold.

My advice to those who are unsure about paying for instruction is this: Call. Call as many instructors as you can. Talk them about what you want to achieve as a trapper and see if they can help you. There are so many offering it now, I am sure you can find the right teacher. Wayne was the right teacher for me. He is one the best people that God has put on his green earth. He is a great, Christian man and he is my Hero. Another student and friend said it best “I like the way Wayne teaches, he makes you think” I could not agree more.

Normally I would show a barn picture to show that what I was taught worked, but this year I didn’t keep to many coyotes as several just didn’t have good pelts, so instead I put together this video. This is not a “Look at me” video, I am far from a great coyote trapper and many of you catch 10 times the coyotes I do. This video is meant to be a thank you to my instructors and mentors, and to show that what they teach works. 3 years ago I broke 10 coyotes in a season for the 1st time, this year my best run I caught 10 coyotes in 10 checks on one location. I was also able to get 2 true doubles on 24 hour checks. Did I mention my instructors were awesome? grin

Turn up your speakers if you like blue grass and if you don't you should probably get examined grin

2018-2019 Missouri & Texas Trapping Season

The Texas pics are from when my good friend Mitchell invited me down to trap with him and his pard. We had a big time grin

I understand this may read as an overly positive post, but it was an overly positive experience and I wanted to share just in case it may help someone who is in the same position I was. Maybe this will be the extra push they need to take the leap, You will NOT regret it. I am no doubt a better trapper, having the year I did last year in the conditions I was dealt has proven that to me. My confidence is higher, if I am on a farm that has coyotes, I know where to find them, I know how to catch them, and I know what methods to use depending on the time of year it is. I am 100% ready.

To any of my former classmates who read this, feel free to jump in and share anything you experienced or throw in things I may have left out.

If anyone has any questions about my experience, I will answer them here or in a pm. If you ask anything specific about what I learned, I will not answer it. I went to learn for me, not to come back and put specific things on Tman, I also believe that would be disrespectful to my instructors, and I will NOT disrespect those great men.

I hope you enjoyed my post, and video, sorry for the length of the post, I ramble on at times and also I am sorry for the shakiness of the video, one thing I learned while putting it together is that I will have to use the tripod more. O and don’t let the beaver pictures fool you, Wayne didn’t teach me that in Texas, that costed me extra!! I can hear Wayne now "That lying will get you to he ll same as stealing!" or “ I YI YI” grin

Last edited by Michael Morris; 06/24/19 09:05 PM. Reason: I forgot about Texas!

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6560910
06/23/19 11:59 AM
06/23/19 11:59 AM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
Great write up mm! Even better movie/season clip!

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6560922
06/23/19 12:14 PM
06/23/19 12:14 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Great Story and a Super Video. Thanks for sharing!!!

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561008
06/23/19 03:14 PM
06/23/19 03:14 PM
Sharp Co. AR
R
RightWayFur Offline
trapper
RightWayFur  Offline
trapper
R

Sharp Co. AR
Great review....awesome video....

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561020
06/23/19 03:45 PM
06/23/19 03:45 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Online content
trapper
beartooth trapr  Online Content
trapper
B

Montana
Very good, sounds well worth it. Dont worry the cost of instrutions be paying you with every catch you make, something you learned from them will be put to use in every location , set and catch you make. My only thing is are you sure it was fun hanging out with john. Lol

Let me sugar coat this
Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561023
06/23/19 03:50 PM
06/23/19 03:50 PM
Misery

Misery
What's that famous quote? John is a turd grin lol

Thanks for the compliments

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561027
06/23/19 04:04 PM
06/23/19 04:04 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I had a great time, learned not to let them(coyotes) get inside my head, though there's lots of room! Trapping is fun and spending time with great people just adds to it! One question---where are the possums? Its a good time to be a trapper!

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561029
06/23/19 04:06 PM
06/23/19 04:06 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
Nice video . Great job .

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561034
06/23/19 04:12 PM
06/23/19 04:12 PM
Misery

Misery
Tom, that video would be an hour and 15 minutes if I added the possum footage!

I enjoyed your company at the school and the Texas rhondy Tom, even if you did whip all us young pups at trappin!

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561035
06/23/19 04:13 PM
06/23/19 04:13 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Good write up. An honest and very positive one.

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561044
06/23/19 04:31 PM
06/23/19 04:31 PM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
Enjoyed the video and the music. Never have taken instruction but have known a few that have and could really see how it's a benefit.

James 1: 19-20
Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561064
06/23/19 05:08 PM
06/23/19 05:08 PM
Maine
A
andrews1958 Offline
trapper
andrews1958  Offline
trapper
A

Maine
Any pictures from your trip?

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561065
06/23/19 05:09 PM
Misery

Misery
I know instructions are not for everyone, but I was a late in life trapper and I believe it helped me catch up on missed years in my teens and 20s

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: andrews1958] #6561066
Misery

Misery
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Any pictures from your trip?

I've got tons, can't believe I didn't think to post them, I'll add one tomorrow

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561146
06/23/19 06:58 PM
06/23/19 06:58 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Good stuff there MM!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561175
06/23/19 07:39 PM
06/23/19 07:39 PM
Onaway michigan
james dymond Offline
trapper
james dymond  Offline
trapper

Onaway michigan
Now there are some live coyotes testing the equipment unlike bw's picture.

Jim

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561190
06/23/19 07:57 PM
06/23/19 07:57 PM
nebraska
S
scheide Offline
trapper
scheide  Offline
trapper
S

nebraska
Yeah, BW's coyote picture is fake news..LOL Get over it james, I took the picture. The one portion of Michael's video, the coyote is just laying there.....must be fake.

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: scheide] #6561269
06/23/19 10:09 PM
06/23/19 10:09 PM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
Michael, thanks so much for the glowing review. Michael has become one of my good friends and we speak at least weekly and during season it maybe daily. I have other good friends that I have meet through the trapping schools here in Texas. I want this trapping school to make lifetime memories and friends.
Thanks again,
Mitchell

Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561291
06/23/19 10:30 PM
06/23/19 10:30 PM
South Alabama
Boy Named Sue Offline
trapper
Boy Named Sue  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
Mike is right! First rate instruction and first rate instructors.

The amount of information was overwhelming. I learned about year round coyote behavior, and what trips there trigger during different times of the year. What the adults pay attention and why, what the pups pay attention to and why. I was taught how to use this knowledge in addition to what I was seeing on the ground and how to apply it to catch more coyotes. I was taught strategies for catching individuals as well as family groups. I had some very specific questions and problems that I needed help with when I arrived in Texas, these were addressed as well. I have needed help more than once and more than a year after the course ended, help was only a phone call away. That only comes from people that care about you and your success! I learned if you pay attention the coyotes will show you how to catch them. I'm sure there is more, but that is all the recall I have for now.

Them fellas also sell some top notch stink.

Michael, thank you for the awesome video!
I was relieved to see that it wasn't a full length coon and opossum how to video. laugh

"Common sense is always the least common of sense."
Re: West Texas Predator Control School - Reveiw [Re: Michael Morris] #6561337
06/24/19 12:03 AM
06/24/19 12:03 AM
texas
R
Ruger 61 Offline
trapper
Ruger 61  Offline
trapper
R

texas
Enjoyed the video and getting to know you. Don't be a stranger

Wayne

Last edited by Ruger 61; 06/24/19 12:05 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread