Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: AJE] #6574690
07/15/19 11:56 PM
07/15/19 11:56 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by AJE
The pro baitmakers I've bought from have not said to use ~3 tablespoons.

I've seen one tablespoon, one or more, two tablespoons, 2-3 tablespoons in late winter, and two or more tablespoons recommended. I guess two or more means ~ (approx) 3, however that amount shakes out, it's still a lot of commercial bait to me.

Member - FTA
Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574713
07/16/19 03:11 AM
07/16/19 03:11 AM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I took instruction this last winter from 2 trapper's that are big bait and lure makers. I found out, I am a bait makers dream. Was shocked how little bait and lure they used. I am using way to much. Oh , neither one used much urine. One trapper hits several states and uses less than a gallon for the entire year.

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: son-of-grizz] #6574716
07/16/19 03:32 AM
07/16/19 03:32 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by son-of-grizz
Now would time of season have an affect on how much you use? Say during deer season using more to pull them away from gut piles? Then when hard winter hits use less because they might be hard pressed for food? Or do I have it backwards?

After reading Russ Carman's Musk, Mystery & Misconceptions book this is what i would do. As long as you know you are on location i would put at least 2 sets in. Use what ever sets you have the most confidence in. Sense the coyotes have plenty to eat already using a bait might be hit or miss. I would use any type of lure or urine besides a food lure at or in your sets.

Last edited by rpmartin; 07/16/19 03:34 AM.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: LDW] #6574728
07/16/19 05:28 AM
07/16/19 05:28 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by LDW
I took instruction this last winter from 2 trapper's that are big bait and lure makers. I found out, I am a bait makers dream. Was shocked how little bait and lure they used. I am using way to much. Oh , neither one used much urine. One trapper hits several states and uses less than a gallon for the entire year.

I'm definitely not a heavy hitter and I don't have a bait/lure career. I simply like to read a lot and have watched a lot of animals both in person and by camera. I will give you something to ponder. At home sometimes you try to feed your dog something and he simply turns his nose up at it. I've also seen curiosity lures that my dog will run right by without even taking a second glance. I've never seen my dog make it by a marked tree or fire hydrant without giving it a whiz. Also it's pretty common knowledge that a lot of gland lures contain urine.

Seems that most canine trapping comes down to two options. They either want to eat it or they want to breed with it. I'm not confident myself to just go down to one thing. In fact I'm a pretty big fan of just bait/urine at 90% of my sets. I know guys are just the opposite at 90% lure and urine at their sets. I'd be willing to guess you could drop the bait/lure and just squirt quality urine and have very similar catch percentages if on location. I'm not at a point where I really want to find out yet.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: WadeRyan] #6574734
07/16/19 05:52 AM
07/16/19 05:52 AM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Originally Posted by LDW

I'm definitely not a heavy hitter and I don't have a bait/lure career. I simply like to read a lot and have watched a lot of animals both in person and by camera. I will give you something to ponder. At home sometimes you try to feed your dog something and he simply turns his nose up at it. I've also seen curiosity lures that my dog will run right by without even taking a second glance. I've never seen my dog make it by a marked tree or fire hydrant without giving it a whiz. Also it's pretty common knowledge that a lot of gland lures contain urine.

Seems that most canine trapping comes down to two options. They either want to eat it or they want to breed with it. I'm not confident myself to just go down to one thing. In fact I'm a pretty big fan of just bait/urine at 90% of my sets. I know guys are just the opposite at 90% lure and urine at their sets. I'd be willing to guess you could drop the bait/lure and just squirt quality urine and have very similar catch percentages if on location. I'm not at a point where I really want to find out yet.

This year I'm going to try using less lure especially and see what results I get. It seems my sets in the past have to cool down before they get worked. In the snow, I can see where they will approach a fresh set but won't commit. They get a couple feet away and turn and leave.

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574745
07/16/19 06:19 AM
07/16/19 06:19 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Try different things until you find out what they want then pour it to em. But that still only works good for a limited time.

Life member,

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574790
07/16/19 07:52 AM
07/16/19 07:52 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I use just a little over a teaspoon in my dirthole and pipedream. I use mostly ground deer I have a batch made with jamesons bait solution and a batch with Dobbins.
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574935
07/16/19 12:38 PM
07/16/19 12:38 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

I've noticed that I do best with mild lures. This may be part or all of the reason.

Life member,

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574961
07/16/19 01:27 PM
07/16/19 01:27 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I don't use bait very much at all. Iv'e always been a lure guy. reason being well formulated lure covers all the urges, and I get more response from lure over bait. Always start with a little dab and increase the amount as the temps drop. Most sets have at least 2 lures applied apart. If I use urine its at a urine set where it belongs , just a short squirt. I've had sets lured in November catch coyotes in February.

Ryans spot on, coyotes gonna either pee on it or eat it... or try to anyway

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6574987
07/16/19 02:24 PM
07/16/19 02:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Wouldn't be hard to ask the coyotes whether they like a lot of bait down the hole or a little. A couple of holes at a few locations and you would have a good answer not just an opinion or theory.

Re: Amount of bait down the dirt hole ? [Re: kyron4] #6575120
07/16/19 07:32 PM
07/16/19 07:32 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Fresh ground meat I use a lot ( 1/4 pound or so ) tainted or skunky I will use up to a pea sized amount in cold weather and a BB sized amount in warmer weather .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91