No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Flag presentation question #6576529
07/18/19 08:17 PM
07/18/19 08:17 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Today my uncle was buried in the national cemetery in NM. During the service there was no 21 Gun Salute (my first time not hearing it for a veteran) I'm not sure why there wasn't. After the honor guards presented the flag to my aunty the director came and took it away from her. The director brought back the flag after the priest was finished.

Why would they take the flag away after it was presented and how common is not having a 21 gun salute? I've been to several veterans (with honors) funerals but never at a national cemetery. So I was unsure if it was a different routine or different policy because of location

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576540
07/18/19 08:29 PM
07/18/19 08:29 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Not sure about the 21 gun salute but I’ve seen the funeral director take the flag and return it after the graveside services, so the person who was presented the flag didn’t drop it or fall trying to carry it when leaving the cemetery.

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576562
07/18/19 09:15 PM
07/18/19 09:15 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
there has to be an honor guard with enough people available often that means he was active enough with the American Legion or VFW to have comrades to remember him.

my grandfather was WWII Navy he lived long enough that nearly every one he knew was already dead or so infirm they couldn't attend.

other times someone in the family either doesn't ask for it as a part of the arrangement or asks not to have the 21 gun salute.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Flag presentation question [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6576569
07/18/19 09:22 PM
07/18/19 09:22 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The family has to request an honor guard. Many veterans including several from our post the family did not want a 21 gun salute, just the flag presentation. Also many areas may not have a VFW or American Legion post that has enough able bodied men and women to provide a full firing squad, bugler etc. Most funeral homes have lists of those posts that do provide those services and usually handle calling them. You may want to ask your family members if they requested the service or not.
As to the flag being folded, presented and then either kept or taken and returned it may be that different funeral providers have different protocols but I have not seen that at my Dad's, father-in-laws or our post members funerals.

Bryce

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576601
07/18/19 10:10 PM
07/18/19 10:10 PM
WV
W
wv4ster Offline
trapper
wv4ster  Offline
trapper
W

WV
When my brother-in-law was buried the honor guard was not satisfied with the way the flag was folded and asked to re-fold it. They did it out of view of the funeral. It was perfect on the second attempt. It was quite windy that day.

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576631
07/18/19 10:37 PM
07/18/19 10:37 PM
Michigan
G
Garryowen Offline
trapper
Garryowen  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
There may not have been enough Legion, VFW or service members to do it. We try to have at least three people shooting. We fire three volleys. Some people watch people watch us and some don't. Some families are right there when we police up the brass.

I do the folding of the flag during ceremonies but not at funerals. When we fold the flag there is to be no red showing. That could be the reason it was taken and later returned.

The ceremony is not standardized. Each color guard does things different.

Garryowen

Last edited by Garryowen; 07/18/19 10:44 PM.
Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576645
07/18/19 11:01 PM
07/18/19 11:01 PM
Michigan
G
Garryowen Offline
trapper
Garryowen  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
If you’ve attended a funeral honoring a veteran who served our country, perhaps you witnessed the folding of the flag that once covered the casket of a loved one. Each of the 13 folds of the flag holds great significance.

At the ceremony of retreat, a daily observance at bases during which all personnel pay respect to the flag, “the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation’s honored dead. The next morning, it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.”

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold signifies our belief in eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and tribute of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace.

The fourth fold exemplifies our weaker nature as citizens trusting in God; it is to Him we turn for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is an acknowledgment to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.

The ninth fold is an honor to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty, and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first-born.

The 11th fold, in the eyes of Hebrew citizens, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The 12th fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

The last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”

Garryowen

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576722
07/19/19 01:02 AM
07/19/19 01:02 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Thank you all I appreciate it.
I didn't see any red showing when he presented the flag to my aunty. I had a front row view as I stood to the left as I a pallbearer today.
I talked to a few aunts and uncles later and they too thought the folds were good. I'll ask my cousin at another time.
Garry, thanks for explaining the folds I didn't know that.
Wv4seter, they might not have been happy with the folds because they took it out of view then returned it once the priest was finished

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576748
07/19/19 05:57 AM
07/19/19 05:57 AM
Michigan
G
Garryowen Offline
trapper
Garryowen  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
If you could have seen red from where you were standing, then it would have been a poorly folded flag. I learned from Ralph who has folded our flags for the last eight to twelve years. He could red when you would swear there wasn't any.

When a flag is folded during funerals, it is normally given to widow or mother. The red of the flag signifies the blood that was shed in defense of this nation. So I don't think they want to show that red to a mother/wife who is in grief.

Garryowen

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576761
07/19/19 06:52 AM
07/19/19 06:52 AM
Western Illinois
#
#11 Offline
trapper
#11  Offline
trapper
#

Western Illinois
A lot of how things are done are at the request of the family or the veteran themselves. My dad was a WW II veteran , and served in the occupation of Korea after the war. He was decorated and received an Honorable Discharge. I have his DD-214. At his request all military formalities were absent. A folded flag was on a stand beside his casket at the visitation. My dad loved this country as much as any man I've known, but he hated war with a passion. He never talked much about that time in his life, and I didn't ask.

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: Garryowen] #6576783
07/19/19 07:50 AM
07/19/19 07:50 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Garryowen
If you’ve attended a funeral honoring a veteran who served our country, perhaps you witnessed the folding of the flag that once covered the casket of a loved one. Each of the 13 folds of the flag holds great significance.

At the ceremony of retreat, a daily observance at bases during which all personnel pay respect to the flag, “the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation’s honored dead. The next morning, it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.”

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold signifies our belief in eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and tribute of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace.

The fourth fold exemplifies our weaker nature as citizens trusting in God; it is to Him we turn for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is an acknowledgment to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.

The ninth fold is an honor to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty, and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first-born.

The 11th fold, in the eyes of Hebrew citizens, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The 12th fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

The last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”

Garryowen

I learned something today. Thanks, Garryowen.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576786
07/19/19 08:01 AM
07/19/19 08:01 AM
Michigan
G
Garryowen Offline
trapper
Garryowen  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
Your welcome.

Garryowen

Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576803
07/19/19 08:27 AM
07/19/19 08:27 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Great Post!! The 13 folds of the flag should be known by all. I just can not remember them all.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Flag presentation question [Re: adam m] #6576873
07/19/19 10:19 AM
07/19/19 10:19 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Garry, sounds like your friend was a good guy who wanted the best for the servicemen and women.
#11, sorry for your loss.
Getting There, I agree the 13 folds should be known by all

Last edited by adam m; 07/19/19 10:20 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread