Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Pack system question #6576882
07/19/19 10:38 AM
07/19/19 10:38 AM
S E Idaho
J
Jmack Offline OP
trapper
Jmack  Offline OP
trapper
J

S E Idaho
I am in the market for a new hunting pack for an up coming sheep hunt. The 2 packs I am looking at right now are the Alps Extreme Hybrid and the Eberlestock G4 Operator. Hoping someone has ran either of these. I am planning on loading up minimal spiking gear and hiking till I find sheep. A little background on me , I carry a Mystery Ranch fire pack so hauling gear is not new to me and I can get by with very light gear for sleeping on the ground. Been in the fire service going on 15 years now.
My boss has the Operator and is going to bring it to work so I can get my hands on but the Alps no one around here carries them. I am looking for something that I can haul gear plus meat with. Any insight and information I would really appreciate. Thanks Jon

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578294
07/21/19 09:37 AM
07/21/19 09:37 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Jon, I had one of the original Elberstock packs and couldnt get rid of it fast enough. It was just to heavy and bulky. Back in the 90s when I was guiding sheep full time, myself and a few other guides I know used an internal frame North Face pack. Those packs were almost indestructible and I could pack an entire sheep in one. My son who guides full time is using one of those stone glacier packs now. Its light weight and well built, but expensive as heck! I bought a bull pac 10 years ago and its the last pack I will ever need. Im guiding mostly moose, caribou, and grizzly now days, but I also do the odd goat and sheep hunt. For me its the perfect pack. I have the large bag on mine so I can haul meat in behind the bag by loosening the straps. The stone glacier is very similar, except its an internal frame pack, where the bull pac is external frame. Hope this helps, and good luck!

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578519
07/21/19 03:14 PM
07/21/19 03:14 PM
Fairbanks Alaska
AKHowler Offline
trapper
AKHowler  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks Alaska
Hey Jon, 1st of all congrats on your sheep tag. Done a bit of guiding myself and a lot of packing. I personally have never used one of the internal packs for other than day packs. External frames is what I use .Started out with a Cabela's external frame with attached bag for years. [Linked Image]
Loved it and it packed out literally tons of meat and trophies. The bag finally disintegrated after about 8 years of washing the blood out in the creeks. The frame failed a couple years later. An older guide I used to work with showed me how to put all your gear in stuff sacks and attach them to the frames with bungees or paracord. Worked well for me. I currently use a Barney's frame and have for many years without fail. I wouldn't rule out the external frame without giving it a try.
[Linked Image]
This was my pack going up on a solo sheep hunt
[Linked Image]
This is my pack with an entire sheep on it with my gear after a successful hunt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is my new set-up, water-proof, bear-proof, floatation device and nobody would even think about stealing it.
[Linked Image]
Good luck on your hunt and post some pics. Be safe..

Alaskan #9 Trap Company
JR Pederson
PO BOX 58226
Fairbanks AK 99711
cell# 907-378-7291
pedersonjr@yahoo.com
Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578537
07/21/19 03:55 PM
07/21/19 03:55 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Personally, I would just hire J.R.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578675
07/21/19 09:20 PM
07/21/19 09:20 PM
S E Idaho
J
Jmack Offline OP
trapper
Jmack  Offline OP
trapper
J

S E Idaho
Thank you all for your input. I have a couple alaskan frames that I have used to go in and help haul out elk for buddies. Been playing with them and some other packs ,trying to figure out a good system to use them together. I have been using an old ruffein fire pack that I rebuilt for a day style pack and trying to keep about the same size pockets for my kit. Then be able to toss in some spike gear and haul meat out ether in front lashed on or behind the main body and a stiff ish frame. I was able to haul my bear out this spring by lashing an old duffel style bag on top then tying the head and hide to the outside.
AK howler. Those are some really nice critters and congrats on the bow kills. Those packs look a heavy.
Yukon I will check out the packs you let me know about. I have looked at stone glacier and they are nice. I use some north face stuff for work and really like it. I can be hard on things and the gear bag has lasted me about 9 seasons and still going strong.
AV I am way to cheap for that, but trying to talk a couple buddies to come with me to help spread out the load. I will get some pictures of the country and hopefully a ram. Thanks again Jon

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6578841
07/22/19 06:43 AM
07/22/19 06:43 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I'm with JR..... Old school! For heavy loads, external frame every time.

Before my Cabelas, it was a Camp Trails Freighter. And to age myself.............. before that it was Trapper Nelson!

Pete

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6579382
07/22/19 11:42 PM
07/22/19 11:42 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
JR......is that a front leg tied on there with those antlers ??

Mean As Nails
Re: Pack system question [Re: alaska viking] #6580441
07/24/19 07:02 PM
07/24/19 07:02 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
Originally Posted by AKHowler
This is my new set-up, water-proof, bear-proof, floatation device and nobody would even think about stealing it.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Personally, I would just hire J.R.

Now THAT is a heck of a bait hauling setup right there! If you get bored JR come on down!

Re: Pack system question [Re: Jmack] #6580449
07/24/19 07:14 PM
07/24/19 07:14 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
What doesn't tell is, it's full!!!