Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Gland in food bait #6593857
08/13/19 12:44 PM
08/13/19 12:44 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I know this is probably a stupid question, but when making a food bait for k9s, is it smart to add fox or coyote gland? And if it is do you add just a tiny bit or what?

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Gland in food bait [Re: BullOx] #6593877
08/13/19 01:15 PM
08/13/19 01:15 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I bet you will find it done both ways. My personal thought is if I want a coyote or fox gland at a set I'll just reach for a lure and add it to the set. I think I can make better use of the glands in a lure rather than adding them to a bait. But this is just my opinion, never really put the theory to a test as of yet.

Re: Gland in food bait [Re: BullOx] #6593903
08/13/19 01:42 PM
08/13/19 01:42 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Bait should smell like food, all the extra spices detour from a natural bait and turns it into more of a lure. There are things you can add to bait that will bring it to life without adding all types of curiosity ingredients. I find the problem with making bait is adding that one last ingredient because that's the ingredient that's going to make the bait. Then it turns into a half dozen more and now you've just complicated simplicity. Faith in your abilities to put something together along with discipline will take you to the next level.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Gland in food bait [Re: TDHP] #6594154
08/13/19 09:38 PM
08/13/19 09:38 PM
Arizona/Indiana
LuckyYote Offline
trapper
LuckyYote  Offline
trapper

Arizona/Indiana
Originally Posted by TDHP
Bait should smell like food, all the extra spices detour from a natural bait and turns it into more of a lure. There are things you can add to bait that will bring it to life without adding all types of curiosity ingredients. I find the problem with making bait is adding that one last ingredient because that's the ingredient that's going to make the bait. Then it turns into a half dozen more and now you've just complicated simplicity. Faith in your abilities to put something together along with discipline will take you to the next level.

This is why in my baits I use minimal extra ingredients. A few I know will make them slavitate and use the lures seperate

Conviction is key
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91