Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Methyl Paraben effect on aging? #6594752
08/14/19 06:53 PM
08/14/19 06:53 PM
Southern Oregon
D
dmr400 Offline OP
trapper
dmr400  Offline OP
trapper
D

Southern Oregon
Hello all,

Working with a new to me base for a lure. Some I preserved fresh with sodium benzoate and methyl paraben, the rest I wanted to age a bit. Before the smell changed at all (about a week) it started growing mold. Never having used MP before, how does it affect the aging process? I know SB is a full blown preservative, what about MP?

I recall reading somewhere on here, maybe by Bob Jameson?, about pouring a solution of MP over a base to keep mold off the top but allow the rest to age, anyone ever try something like that?

Thanks in advance.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Re: Methyl Paraben effect on aging? [Re: dmr400] #6594763
08/14/19 07:05 PM
08/14/19 07:05 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
mp is also a preservative

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Methyl Paraben effect on aging? [Re: dmr400] #6594830
08/14/19 08:16 PM
08/14/19 08:16 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You can dissolve some MP in some warm water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the top of your material as well as spraying the interior sides of the container above the base. Good idea to spray the lid interior as well.

Lightly scrape off the mold prior to spraying the mixture onto the aging material.

Re: Methyl Paraben effect on aging? [Re: Bob Jameson] #6594833
08/14/19 08:18 PM
08/14/19 08:18 PM
Southern Oregon
D
dmr400 Offline OP
trapper
dmr400  Offline OP
trapper
D

Southern Oregon
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
You can dissolve some MP in some warm water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the top of your material as well as spraying the interior sides of the container above the base. Good idea to spray the lid interior as well.

Lightly scrape off the mold prior to spraying the mixture onto the aging material.

Thank you Bob, that's very helpful. Do you use this to correct a problem batch or is it something you can do proactively with a material you suspect will mold but you still want to age?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Re: Methyl Paraben effect on aging? [Re: dmr400] #6595175
08/15/19 09:22 AM
08/15/19 09:22 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Pure organic meat, tissue and glandular materials are all subject to mold development on the surface, sides and the lids of the container if left undisturbed for a period of time. The air contact surface areas are prime breeding grounds for bacteria development and mold growth if the material is virgin and no measure of preservation or some type of mold control has been added.

Hot spots ( air pockets within your batch ) can develop within a container also at times if it is left unstirred or agitated in some manner to disrupt the growth.

If conditions exist such as favorable warmer temps and higher humidity environment the mold and bacteria growth will be accelerated if it is prone in that material. Mold growth is a natural biological reaction of a material when exposed to certain container conditions.

Surface treatment with a MP solution will control the surface mold growth nicely and not affect the lower level aging material. This will prevent some product loss due to the mold that should be removed so as not to contaminate the remaining batch if stirred at some point.

Correcting the problem batch can be done with this method of surface treatment with the MP solution following the steps I have suggested.

Being pro active is a good practice to carry out if you have encountered this problem with a similar situation in prior batches or base materials. Having taken preventive measures will allow you to not worry about such things happening in the future.

Label all your batches with start dates and materials added at the time of containing the product and if it was treated with a mold retardant as discussed.

Each time you work the batch make a log and attach it to your container as to what you did and date it each time this is done.

Re: Methyl Paraben effect on aging? [Re: dmr400] #6595394
08/15/19 05:25 PM
08/15/19 05:25 PM
Southern Oregon
D
dmr400 Offline OP
trapper
dmr400  Offline OP
trapper
D

Southern Oregon
Thank you again Bob, that's very helpful.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91