Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: Merriam] #6608847
09/03/19 02:06 PM
09/03/19 02:06 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I have limited experience with shad, but the ones I had before turned to mush after I thawed them out. I laid them out flat in gallon zip lock bags and froze them like that. When I would thaw them when ready to use they couldn't even be removed from bag without falling apart. That is why I just left them whole and mixed in the SB and salt. Once the SB has taken full affect I will jar them up in pint containers to use on the line. Figure a little glycol wouldn't hurt to freeze proof, but salt should have that covered unless it get real cold and coon won't be traveling much anyway.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: Merriam] #6610648
09/06/19 08:52 AM
09/06/19 08:52 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
My end goal is a dp bait that I can just scoop a spoonful into the trap

If all you are going to use is salt and sb (depending on type of material), you will end up with a chunky rubbery (solidified) bait after it sets a while without treating it and it will defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: jabNE] #6619286
09/17/19 09:13 PM
09/17/19 09:13 PM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
Originally Posted by jabNE
I've had great luck mixing dried cat food (get off brand and cheap at dollar general) with a few cans of sardines packed in oil and mashed up. Add a generous amount of molasses to this and put it in anlarge plastic container with a lid. Give that a shake every other day or so and I make mine in summer. By late november the dried catfood has absorbed everything I mixed in and I've kept it over for couple seasons in a row, no preservatives or anti freeze needed. The molasses and fish oil seem to work together somehow with dried cat food. I have two gallons going right now in my garage for this winter for my DPs. I bought everything at dollar general or clearance racks and I'm quite confident I didn't spend $10 on all of that to make 2 gallons.
Hammered coon last year in rain, freezing conditions, snow, etc. Its a great DP bait for me that I liked enough to double the batch this season.
Jim

Jim do you mix everything together then put in sun?
2 cans of sardines to a 1 pd cat food ? How much molasses r u putting in? Thanks

Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: Jonesie] #6642125
10/17/19 05:24 PM
10/17/19 05:24 PM
Chalmette, Louisiana U.S.
B
Bigoledude Offline
trapper
Bigoledude  Offline
trapper
B

Chalmette, Louisiana U.S.
What is SB?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my Grandfather did. Not screaming in terror like his passengers did.
Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: Bigoledude] #6642151
10/17/19 06:15 PM
10/17/19 06:15 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Bigoledude
What is SB?

Sodium benzoate, it's a preservative

Re: Preserving Fish for DP Bait [Re: Merriam] #6642248
10/17/19 09:16 PM
10/17/19 09:16 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Not in sun...in my cool shady garage.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91