Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Illinois bobcats #6612343
09/08/19 07:56 PM
09/08/19 07:56 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline OP
trapper
3togo  Offline OP
trapper

Henry Co, IL
For all the Illinois guys or trappers with similar terrain.
Now that the DNR has extended the trapping boundaries it will include many of us that have cats but previously could not target them IF you drew a permit. While the number of available permits has NOT been increased I would not want to apply and be lucky enough to draw a permit and then not be able to locate sign. I have 2-3 farms with large amounts of timber, and farmers telling me they have heard on seen bobcats in the last 2 years.
So the big question is; where would the best places be to scout for sign, and what in particular should any of us be looking for that are short on knowledge and experience related to bobcats. Thanks.

Re: Illinois bobcats [Re: 3togo] #6612427
09/08/19 09:21 PM
09/08/19 09:21 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
The thickest or roughest terrain you can find. Brush piles near cover are great if you got them. Look for the thick stuff were you would find the concentration of rabbits living.

Re: Illinois bobcats [Re: 3togo] #6612646
09/09/19 08:30 AM
09/09/19 08:30 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I have picked all mine up in my coyote sets. Most of my sets are around the field edges next to the woods or the same with mowed paths in set aside . Last year I caught all but one in Zaggers pipe dream set. Center of trap pan was 8 inch's back from top lip of pipe no offset.
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Illinois bobcats [Re: 3togo] #6612650
09/09/19 08:34 AM
09/09/19 08:34 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Brushy creek bottoms. Look at the longest roughest brushiest creek bottom you have. If you have farm lanes with bare dirt check out the bare spots a couple days after a rain. Big briar patches - weedy fields this year. You can call for them too - they like a higher pitch. I see tracks but have never caught one here. I have called them while coyote hunting though. I don't think are very many close to where I live. I'm pretty close to town - maybe one passing through once in a while. Larry

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91