Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Base/paste #6616365
09/13/19 10:05 PM
09/13/19 10:05 PM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline OP
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline OP
trapper

UP Michigan
I’m very new to Lure making. I’m wondering what is used to turn a lure from a liquid to a paste type consistency? I’ve heard lanolin for predators and have also heard of using petroleum jelly. What do you use? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Re: Base/paste [Re: Yooper1978] #6616454
09/13/19 11:55 PM
09/13/19 11:55 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Just keep in mind whenever you add something that doesnt increase the attractiveness of a formulation to the target animal you are diluting the odor profile. And sometimes thickeners actually will lock the odor in. Going from a straight liquid to a paste is pretty hard to do and not change the strength of the odor. I like thickeners that add to the odor profile and work well with the odor that's already established in the formulation. Some I've found helpful are cheese, brains, yolks from hard boiled eggs is one I've just started to play with, salt cured fish,and bone meal. My advice is if you want a thick lure start out with a thick base. Dont get too caught up with the consistency as it's the odor that attracts the animal. This is my take on it and I'm sure others go about differently. Good luck in your endeavors.

Re: Base/paste [Re: Yooper1978] #6616503
09/14/19 05:57 AM
09/14/19 05:57 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I don't use petroleum jelly for any base but I know good cage trappers who use it for their own lure for cats and fisher. Petroleum is used to keep the moving parts to the cages functional for me. JMO if you're worried about diluting your base before you go and waste that hard earned $$ "moolah" on them elite ingredients. "Stabilize" the base in regards to freeze proofing or just be sure that you have the odor you desire or animals have hit on emanating from the base..etc. Only you can build off the odors that you are working off of. One odor at a time.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91