Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Coon bait question? #6616501
09/14/19 05:33 AM
09/14/19 05:33 AM
Michigan
D
Duckie1 Offline OP
trapper
Duckie1  Offline OP
trapper
D

Michigan
Anybody using coon crack or coon collector? What were the results?

I did some test baiting this summer with sweet baits and fish oil soaked baits. The coon always focused on the sweet bait first and sometime the fish oil bait sat a few days before being eaten. Do coon like to eat fish oil or just like the smell? I'm wondering if the fish oil directly in my dp's as I have done in the past might turn off some coon. Any thoughts on this?

Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6616518
09/14/19 06:52 AM
09/14/19 06:52 AM
Pennsylvania
The hammer Offline
trapper
The hammer  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Both work really well. I mainly use pcg baits and lures and never had anything bad to say about any of them. Save your self the mess and just use fish oil more as a trailing scent to get there noses above the dp they will dig into just about anything you have in there. Go to a tractor supply and get a 50 lb bag of fish pellets they love it. Fill your dp up put a dab of lure on top the dp then a trial shot of fish oil. Best thing to I have found with dps is to have them placed right in a coons nature path then all you really need is bait there going to run right into it no need to waste lure or trailing scents.

Re: Coon bait question? [Re: The hammer] #6616559
09/14/19 08:13 AM
09/14/19 08:13 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by The hammer
Both work really well. I mainly use pcg baits and lures and never had anything bad to say about any of them. Save your self the mess and just use fish oil more as a trailing scent to get there noses above the dp they will dig into just about anything you have in there. Go to a tractor supply and get a 50 lb bag of fish pellets they love it. Fill your dp up put a dab of lure on top the dp then a trial shot of fish oil. Best thing to I have found with dps is to have them placed right in a coons nature path then all you really need is bait there going to run right into it no need to waste lure or trailing scents.

Id have to disagree with the last sentence. Sometimes you really have to knock a coon between the eyes with scent on trails as they get one track minds at time, which is why we miss more coons than we care to admit with DPs.

I wish coon collector more in the winter and sweeter baits in the fall.

As for fish oil, I don't like it inside DPs. Fish oil depending on what you use can turn rancid quickly or is synthetic so it's extremely bitter. Especially shellfish oil.

I don't want anything bitter on lip or inside a DP.

Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6616631
09/14/19 09:53 AM
09/14/19 09:53 AM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
More coons by using les bait in your DPs, just fill your DPs just above trigger, you are trying to catch them not feed them. Bait inside and lure out side on the ground.

Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6616649
09/14/19 10:27 AM
09/14/19 10:27 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Whatever bait u use in DPs it must taste good, I don't put any bait paste the trigger. Some synthetics have a very bitter taste, don't ask how I know LOL. Shellfish oil is synthetic, yuk..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6618836
09/17/19 01:38 AM
09/17/19 01:38 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’ve used Coon Crack over the last couple years and haven’t been impressed at all. I’ll bet it works in warmer states but I need something with more nose pull than Coon Crack seems to offer. I do like the Coon Collector and I’ve caught several coyotes on Federales bait. Now, having said all of this, I have my theories as why things work the way they do. And one of them is outdoor temperature: Twenty degree average night temperature deadens most sweet baits ! But liquid smoke (Coon Collector) is good several degrees colder than that and it continues to work

Never too old to learn
Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6618893
09/17/19 07:36 AM
09/17/19 07:36 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
I have never once used a trailing scent or lure on a dp. Having said that I use a dry bait that has a smoky smell and flavor. Nothing wrong with a little bit outside the tube either. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6619445
09/18/19 07:16 AM
09/18/19 07:16 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I did some test baiting this summer with sweet baits and fish oil soaked baits.The coon always focused on the sweet bait first and sometime the fish oil bait sat a few days before being eaten.

Time of year will impact your results and that is why a bait or lure with "variety" is important. I know it is when I'm out trapping them. The longer my traps stay on the ground the more $ I lose.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Coon bait question? [Re: Duckie1] #6622607
09/22/19 12:48 PM
09/22/19 12:48 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Cheap dollar store Bacon Bits mixed with any in DP trap bait homemade or bought, use sparingly the smell is what your after. This works very well for mid Michigan coons, a marshmallow half speared on the trigger for feel gets my coon. Farmers coop molasses thinned with water as a trail scent, jack mac or sardine juice in cooler temps.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Coon bait question? [Re: LLtrapper] #6622709
09/22/19 02:55 PM
09/22/19 02:55 PM
Western Illinois
#
#11 Offline
trapper
#11  Offline
trapper
#

Western Illinois
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
I have never once used a trailing scent or lure on a dp. Having said that I use a dry bait that has a smoky smell and flavor. Nothing wrong with a little bit outside the tube either. LLL

Listen to this man, he has caught THOUSANDS of coon, he is sharing his knowledge with you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91