Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rat clips [Re: SkyeDancer] #6622868
09/22/19 07:25 PM
09/22/19 07:25 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
We use to have NO checks on water sets. Then things went down hill and then It depended on the depth of the water as to the length of our checks.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Rat clips [Re: SkyeDancer] #6623030
09/22/19 10:21 PM
09/22/19 10:21 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Not enough rats around my part of the state to fiddle around with wading out to set huts or what have you. While I have open water and I'm driving my land traps, if I see a rat swimming in the ditch and I have permission on the property I stop and quickly put in a pole with sudden valley clips for the trap and piece of parsnip. Pick up the rat the next trip and keep resetting till it sits empty a couple checks. That's how rat trapping works for me anyways. Poles make it quick and easy. No bedding a trap, finding a part of embankment that works, food source, or toilets etc. A little lure on some bait and they come to my poles.

Re: Rat clips [Re: SkyeDancer] #6623098
09/22/19 11:53 PM
09/22/19 11:53 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I do the same when I'm In ND. But If I find any sign at all I have at least 2 stools about 18" apart at those locations. And In the spring I'm checking twice a day.
Pre set with bait and lure before the season opens and get ready to skin some rats once you start setting traps.
If you find culverts that are to big to work with colony traps set at least 4 stools or floats at each side of the road. Many times I have pulled up and taken 7 or 8 rats at each stop.

Last edited by The Beav; 09/22/19 11:57 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91