ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) #6624845
09/25/19 02:24 PM
09/25/19 02:24 PM
Florida
H
Hanger Offline OP
trapper
Hanger  Offline OP
trapper
H

Florida
Live in Florida so no money is to be made off fur but want to at least break even on my trapping hobby. Can use footholds as long as owner pulls permit. Not sure if anyone here does that, but if so how would one get into it. Would you charge per job or per yote. When do trap them, when calves are dropping,cooler weather.

Thanks for responses and good luck trapping

Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: Hanger] #6625132
09/25/19 08:20 PM
09/25/19 08:20 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
What the politics of Florida is, I will not address.

As for the yotes, the time to kill them is before they are a problem in killing calves.

That would mean thinning now, moving into the fall migration, breeding season, and denning to kill the pups and parents, then moving to their replacements.

In stating that, if you have yotes in a mated dominant pair who are not calf killers, they are eating something else. Dogs raised on deer eat deer. Dogs raised on birds eat birds. Dogs raised on fish eat fish etc... Cattlemen are quite content to have a dominant pair who eat calf poop, afterbirth and leave calves alone, while eating wildlife or pets. Understand that point, in you may take out a dominant pair, who is replaced by a pair where one of them was raised on calves or lambs, which displeases stockmen.

I have a family group here, with a big dog, who leave calves alone, but is h*ll on fawns and turkeys. I leave them to recreational trappers to thin the pups out, send the message there is danger here, and that settles things down. America really needs a sound wildlife policy but does not have one. High dollar coyotes with high dollar gas, is not thinning them out like in the 80's when people drove around hunting gamebirds. I had hoped the current administration would have legalized poisons again with application to stem the tide along with state and federal programs to take down the coyotes. In my region we have a big problem in wolves in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado and Montana are pushing coyotes into western Minnesota and the Dakotas in numbers. I was talking to cattlemen in Montana and they can not get into the pens with cows anymore in wolf country, as they are nuts from being terrorized by wolves. Wolves are frequent predators in this area now.

As for getting into it, you can run ads in farm magazines, go visit local coffee shops, stop by livestock producers and tell them what you would like to do. You are going to have to bait the hole in showing you can catch yotes and solve problems, and then you might get paying jobs. In starting out, instead figure on the good will which will probably get you access to hunting and fishing which few else will have as your rewards.
Millionaire farmers are like everyone else in wanting something for nothing and they expect you to catch problems immediately and cheap while they pay plumbers and doctors 100 dollars an hour.

Hope some of that helps.

Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: Hanger] #6626845
09/27/19 05:49 PM
09/27/19 05:49 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
Land owner makes application to the FWC for a coyote depredation steel trap permit. Depredation/loss has to be coyote vs livestock. Coyote vs any form of native wildlife will not qualify. Permit is site specific, issued for a specific period of time, and documentation of the depredation and loss has to be presented at time of application. FWC may or may not send a representative out to verify damage, location, etc.. Call the regional FWC office for more info.

Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: Davexx1] #6626965
09/27/19 08:02 PM
09/27/19 08:02 PM
Pennsylvania
PARick Offline
trapper
PARick  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Davexx1
Land owner makes application to the FWC for a coyote depredation steel trap permit. Depredation/loss has to be coyote vs livestock. Coyote vs any form of native wildlife will not qualify. Permit is site specific, issued for a specific period of time, and documentation of the depredation and loss has to be presented at time of application. FWC may or may not send a representative out to verify damage, location, etc.. Call the regional FWC office for more info.

This sounds terrible. I’m sorry for your loss

Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: Hanger] #6628641
09/29/19 07:03 PM
09/29/19 07:03 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I'd call these folks https://floridatrapper.org/contacts ...do you already belong to your state assn?
also
its called "depredation"

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: Hanger] #6630462
10/01/19 08:51 PM
10/01/19 08:51 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Trapping laws in Florida suck. One reason I left after 40 years. But, the bright side is you can use snares legally. Something I wish I could use here in South Carolina. Learn to use snares and you can really rack up the yotes. There are no laws on many you can set. I used to hunt and trap on a 9,000 ranch in Florida. You will get hogs and deer knocking down your snares, or you can also(check the regs) snare hogs. Anyway, you can set dozens if not hundreds. Snaring in Florida is simple and effective. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 10/01/19 08:57 PM.

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Cattle Deprivation (Coyote Trapping) [Re: traprjohn] #6630514
10/01/19 09:50 PM
10/01/19 09:50 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by traprjohn

its called "depredation"

Ask a rancher. He'd politely disagree if you were talking about ranching in general. "Deprivation. -The damaging lack of material benefits considered to be basic necessities in a society."
That pretty much sums up ranching. smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread