Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
sumac for trap dye #6632456
10/04/19 09:09 AM
10/04/19 09:09 AM
NE
S
sandhillscoyotes Offline OP
trapper
sandhillscoyotes  Offline OP
trapper
S

NE
Have heard of using sumac berries for trap dye was wondering if there is any certain kind or if it matters and how much i should use to 30 gallons of water and any other tips and tricks would be appreciated need to find another option to what im using and i have lots of sumac berries available looking for that really dark black look so maybe this isnt the best option thanks in advance

Re: sumac for trap dye [Re: sandhillscoyotes] #6632470
10/04/19 09:26 AM
10/04/19 09:26 AM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline
trapper
K

MN
I’ve only got 2 dozen traps so far so I’m just using a 5 gallon turkey fryer can to boil my traps. I filled the can 1/3 full of berries it made a pretty good black slurry once it cooked. Traps came out good.

Re: sumac for trap dye [Re: sandhillscoyotes] #6632546
10/04/19 11:00 AM
10/04/19 11:00 AM
PA
F
Farmdog Offline
trapper
Farmdog  Offline
trapper
F

PA
One tip is put the sumac in an old pillow case or mesh bag. I used sumac and walnut hulls both for years. They are kinda messy when mixed in with the traps. Never really tried bark or anything else other than logwood dye, which I was not really crazy about. The last few years I have just been spending a few bucks and saving some time by using liquid dye. I believe it is Petes sleepy creek or something like that. I like that stuff better than anything else I've used over the years.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91