ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How Are They Getting In There? #6639809
10/14/19 09:43 PM
10/14/19 09:43 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
You ever go to a squirrel job and wonder "How?". You can plainly see the entry hole, but there is no sign as to how the squirrel is getting to it. You just stare at it, walk around, then stare at it some more and wonder, "Okay. Where's he coming from?"

I set up one like that today. Where the power came into the building, on the corner of the back wall, were three 2 inch PVC conduit pipes that came out of the breaker boxes, up a little ways, then 45ed over and 45ed up again straight into the soffit. Next to the center one, on the right side, there was a hole chewed into the vinyl soffit and the aluminum trim. But there no dirty smugges, no scratch marks, no sign at all where a squirrel might have climbed those pipes. The panel boxes were low enough to the ground that it could easily hop up on the top and just shinny up those pipes, but that would have left at least some sort of tale tale sign of usage. No paw prints on top of the panel boxes, no scratch marks on, around or near the pipes.

As I had just come down from the attic where I had been screening off a gable, sweat pouring off my nose, I had to stop for a cold drink anyway. I just sat there on the tailgate of my truck and stared at those pipes and that gaping hole. I lit a cigarette and pondered my next actions. I know how I'm gonna attack this situation, but I was baffled by the lack of evidence at that particular entry point. "Maybe they are no longer using this hole." I thought. In which case I could just seal it off and move to the next one.

As I sat that, drinking my cold drink and puffing on the coffin nail, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Mr. Squirrel had pranced up from behind me headed to the corner where I stared. He stopped only briefly when he saw me, then scampered on and disappeared around the corner of the building. I sat motionless and just waited to see what happened next. Low and behold! Mr. Squirrel pops his head out from around the corner just under the facial board. He had shinnied up the brick wall around the corner from me and then hopped onto the down spout, and flipped right across the first two pipes, right in the top 45 degree bend and hanging upside down like an acrobat, with a flip of the tail, disappeared into the hole.

Uh, huh! Looking closer now, I can see that claw marks and the smudge spots on top of the down spout and on the back side of the pipes. Well, alrighty now then! When he comes out, I got a surprise waiting for him!

Muddawg
Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6639835
10/14/19 10:00 PM
10/14/19 10:00 PM
Prophetstown, Illinois
J
J.Melton Offline
trapper
J.Melton  Offline
trapper
J

Prophetstown, Illinois
Good Story Muddawg. Since i am just learning about Squirrel Control, could you share how you set up for him or take photo.

Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6639853
10/14/19 10:14 PM
10/14/19 10:14 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I find reds the toughest squirrels. They will enter high, they'll enter low. They just don't care.

I've seen them pull their way out of rat snaps. Tuff little buggers.

Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6640411
10/15/19 03:29 PM
10/15/19 03:29 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
J. Melton,

Here's a picture of the particular spot where I was speaking of with my trap box in place.

[Linked Image]

Okay. My mistake. There are four pipes instead of three. Sorry. My memory ain't what it use to be.

Anyway, notice the wooden box. On top of the box is a 3 inch hole to allow access into the center of the box. At either end of the box is a 110 Conibear trap. The front panel is attached with screws and can be removed easily to set traps and remove any catches.

[Linked Image]

Here you can see how I have it screened in so that the squirrel can not go in or out without going through the box. Look closely behind the screen and you can see his hole at the top.

In this next photo, you can see the traps waiting inside.

[Linked Image]

Notice the electrical tape across the trigger wires. This keeps the smaller squirrels from slipping ghrough.

These pictures were made yesterday after I got the traps in place. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the squirrel that I had in this set this morning. I forgot my camera this morning.

Here's another one of my trap boxes.

[Linked Image]

This one is open only on the ends. It holds three 110 Conibears and I have caught as many as three squirrels at a time in it.

Here you see the same box with the side panel removed.

[Linked Image]

You can use them with bait if you so choose, but I have the best luck with no bait making positive sets.

Here are some sets I've used them in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I could show you picture after picture after picture of squirrels caught in these boxes, but I'm not sure that would be in accordance with the rules here. But I can tell you, these sets are SUPER effective!

Hope this helps. Got any other questions?

Last edited by Muddawg; 10/15/19 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Muddawg
Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6640747
10/15/19 11:32 PM
10/15/19 11:32 PM
Prophetstown, Illinois
J
J.Melton Offline
trapper
J.Melton  Offline
trapper
J

Prophetstown, Illinois
Thanks Muddawg. That helps a lot. Pictures can be worth a thousand words. Appreciate the time you took to do this.

Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6641419
10/16/19 09:11 PM
10/16/19 09:11 PM
Pennsylvania
PARick Offline
trapper
PARick  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
I must ask why don’t you use a one way door on the hole and patch it up after some time? Just getting into squirrels

Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6641504
10/16/19 10:46 PM
10/16/19 10:46 PM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
Muddawg do you lift the side up the long way when you get a catch to remove animal or reset. Is their hinges?

Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: PARick] #6642129
10/17/19 05:32 PM
10/17/19 05:32 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted by PARick
I must ask why don’t you use a one way door on the hole and patch it up after some time? Just getting into squirrels

What you're talking about is an excluder. A one way door or valve where the animal can get out but blocks their return so they can't get back in, right? We do that for bats.

But squirrels are more destructive than bats. When they can't get back in at one place, they will simply chew a hole into another spot. Once a squirrel makes its home in an attic or soffit, you can block it out, but it will find another way in, somewhere. It's best to remove the offending squirrel and then seal up the hole to keep others out.

Funny story that really happened to me.
I had a squirrel call. As I was standing there with the lady looking up at the hole in her trim work along the roof line, I told her, "Yes Mam. This is simple enough. I can have this wrapped up for you in no time."

Then she has to ask, "Okay. Great!. But what do you do with the squirrel once you catch them?"

Then I explained to her, "Mam. The traps I use for this are lethal. The squirrel will be dead when I get back to it."

"Oh, no!" she says. "I don't want to hurt him! Isn't there anything else you can do that won't hurt it?"

Hmph..."Well, yes, Mam." I answered, "I can exclude them." Then I had to explain to her what an excluder was and what it would do.

"Yeah!" Her eyes lit up. "Let's do that!" she says.

At that point I explained to her, "Mam. That squirrel has already made a home up there. Once I seal her out, she'll be looking another way to get back in. If I don't haul her away, I can't promise you she won't just chew a hole in at another point."

"Well,.." she says. "We'll give it a chance.

"Okay." I said. I put my excluder up, a couple days later, squirrel was gone, I came back, took down my excluder, patched the hole, she paid me and I left.

About a week later.... She calls me back. she ask, "Can you come put that thing up on the other side of the house?"

"Yes mam."

So we're standing there on the opposite side of the house, looking at a brand new hole chewed into her trim work. I explain again that the best thing to do is take the squirrel away.

"No. Let's give them one more chance." she says.

Well, okay. It's your house. Once again, I put my excluder up, a couple days later the squirrel is gone, I take down my excluder, seal up the hole, she pays me and I go home............................

About a week late, on Sunday night, she calls me again. Her exact words are, "KILL 'EM ALL!!"

I said, "I'll see you in the morning."

Muddawg
Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: NWTrapper85] #6642130
10/17/19 05:37 PM
10/17/19 05:37 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted by NWTrapper85
Muddawg do you lift the side up the long way when you get a catch to remove animal or reset. Is their hinges?

No hinges. I didn't get that detailed with them. But, back out 6 screws and that side panel comes off the long way. Hinges would be a hindrance, actually. As the side comes off, you need to pull it straight out the clear the trap springs.

Also, many times I mount the box, set the traps and then place the panel over screen that may be past the opening at the end. Just makes it quicker to remove and reset like that.

Muddawg
Re: How Are They Getting In There? [Re: Muddawg] #6642145
10/17/19 06:10 PM
10/17/19 06:10 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted by NWTrapper85

No hinges. I didn't get that detailed with them. But, back out 6 screws and that side panel comes off the long way. Hinges would be a hindrance, actually. As the side comes off, you need to pull it straight out the clear the trap springs.

Also, many times I mount the box, set the traps and then place the panel over screen that may be past the opening at the end. Just makes it quicker to remove and reset like that.

Muddawg
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread