Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest #6640782
10/16/19 05:13 AM
10/16/19 05:13 AM
Downeast Maine
scalloper Offline OP
trapper
scalloper  Offline OP
trapper

Downeast Maine
I have been away hunting for a few days and I just saw where its being considered to harvest timber in the Tongass. Living in Maine I see many benefits for hunters and trappers from timber harvest. It allowed our moose populations to explode to much higher numbers then without due to all of the new vegetation growing. It does require management as far as the sizes of clear cuts. I believe here we are not allowed to have a clear cut over 40 acres. The best benefit is the road system the loggers leave behind. For many of us that are beyond walking miles per day hunting/trapping these roads allow us to continue our passion when we get up there in age.
So how do some here feel about harvesting timber from this area?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
Re: Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest [Re: scalloper] #6641382
10/16/19 08:18 PM
10/16/19 08:18 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
The areas that were previously logged intensively now generally have more restrictive regulations. Mostly due to the increased access. Forestry policy regarding harvest clearly impacts wildlife, both positively, and negatively. Both are on display, here.
Certain areas of P.O.W. are benefiting from well thought-out logging, with deer and black bear plentiful. Of course, the wolves thrive in such conditions.
Other areas, not so much. No doubt that short-term benefits, thanks to new growth that follows a clear-cut. And of course access benefits the hunters and trappers. All that said, the picture is big. As scalloper mentioned, smaller, checkerboard cuts are beneficial, but are not economically viable, here. Vast clear cuts, say 1500 acres or more, are needed to garner any interest. And we are talking Sitka spruce and hemlock. Not high-end material.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest [Re: scalloper] #6643207
10/19/19 07:28 AM
10/19/19 07:28 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Personally, I see the increases in access as a negative. But it's tough to get logs out in a costly manner without roads. Maybe if they destroyed the roads after logging it might be better .

Mean As Nails
Re: Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest [Re: scalloper] #6643800
10/19/19 11:38 PM
10/19/19 11:38 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
No t on target with your post all the way but ,here goes,their policy here is let it burn .I see it as good for game if they log some and gate the roads .Miles of beetle kill lodgepole and bud worm killed spruce and fir . Now they waste your money to "decommission " roads that are gated and kelly humped for years with trees growing up in them .Oh yes that is real smart and they (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) about weeds ,I wonder how much they will spend to weed control after this .They are smart and very educated so they have to be right huh .

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest [Re: g smith] #6647385
10/24/19 12:23 AM
10/24/19 12:23 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
I logged my entire working career in WA and AK. I never saw a 1500 acre clearcut. Block logging was the rule and pretty much never a clearcut over 200 acres with most no more than 80. I only worked FS ground in AK so cannot speak to Native Corporation land. That may be different. Now in WA on FS land it is all selective logging. Bad thing IMO as it results in a lot blowdown. Last years that I worked we did nothing but selective cuts and 100% they all blew down. It is the way it is along the coast especially in hemlock. In AK you get either blowdown or ghost snags on every cutting line, sometimes both.
Pretty much on FS land all the roads get decommissioned with the exception being main roads. Total waste of money IMO as a road near the coast becomes undrivable pretty fast if not used. You will invent new cuss words if you have to walk a decommissioned road.
Clearcuts will improve the habitat for about everything except marten for a while. Then when it gets to be about 20 years old it just becomes a dead zone in this spruce/hemlock coastal forest. Takes maybe another 20 years to grow out of the dead phase.

Last edited by humptulips; 10/24/19 12:26 AM.
Re: Logging in Alaska's Tongass National forest [Re: scalloper] #6648172
10/24/19 11:37 PM
10/24/19 11:37 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
What he said,yep

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman