No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652774
10/30/19 05:33 AM
10/30/19 05:33 AM
Conneaut Lake, PA
T
trapperjim1 Offline
trapper
trapperjim1  Offline
trapper
T

Conneaut Lake, PA
Just the other day I was cleaning out my old toolbox, and got to looking through my old notebooks. I've been retired for three years, but with those notebooks I could walk into a shop and begin working and be up to speed in a day or two. Mind you, this is from three different employers, in three different industries over twenty years. Don't let other people run you, I've watched your growth through the posts you've made here and you are a remarkable young man whose abilities and skills will always be in demand. Keep on keeping on, and don't let the naysayers drag you down.

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652779
10/30/19 05:46 AM
10/30/19 05:46 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Sounds incredibly common. Personally I think that unless an inordinate amount of time is spent, taking notes is a great idea. For a good many years I was a carpenter, and also taught the trade. I always recommended to students to take a few nots, although few took the advice.

Unfortunately one will find that quite often that just because someone has been put in charge of training people does not mean they are qualified to do so. A good many people have such a limited view of how things can be accomplished it is ridiculous. Most people are not good teachers and have no patients. A good many people put in charge of training others do not have enough confidence to not fear competition in the workplace. All true yet sad facts. There are several reasons a lot of trades people fail when they decide to go into business. The number one reason is of course they don't know squat about business. Another big reason is they have no leadership skills or interpersonal skills. Yes that sounds harsh, but it is the truth. Lots of good trades people just do not understand what it takes to go to the next level, and very very few know anything about being a leader. Leadership skills are about as rare as common sense.

Hang in there, keep working hard, do the best you can, and let the chips fall where they may.
Good luck

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652782
10/30/19 05:53 AM
10/30/19 05:53 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i've caught lots of fur after goin through my box of notes i've taken on the trapline over the 30 yrs i've been hittin it hard.

i have a notebook here by my computer,one at my desk in the furshop,and one in my truck year round for notes.i'd only remember half what i should without reminders and notes.

using any of those new traps and supplies we all watched ya get and open??

and painted turtles here have had their name changed to Wolfies.bet 100 times i've said to myself"Wolfies are out sunnin."

when you are givin the guy training you's job,suggest to him he should take notes. laugh

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652796
10/30/19 06:34 AM
10/30/19 06:34 AM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
I'd rather have to explain why I did something right as to explain why I did it wrong . People like that act like they were born experts . Just keep taking notes and doing a good job and you'll be fine .

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652801
10/30/19 06:40 AM
10/30/19 06:40 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I have trained people for different things before, and if anyone took the effort to take notes I looked at it as a good thing. It shows you are serious about your job and that you want to do it correctly.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652803
10/30/19 06:44 AM
10/30/19 06:44 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
I'd hire you. Attention to detail, love it.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652838
10/30/19 07:35 AM
10/30/19 07:35 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
People have different skill sets and so use different methods to be successful. Your way is working for you so keep doing it. In some industries the notes you are using would be formalized and called "procedures" and everyone would be required to use them verbatim.

In regard to relying solely on memory, I will tell you this. For much of my engineering career I did not take notes in meetings because I remembered every single word spoken, word for word, and could repeat it back years later if needed. When that level of memory faded in my late 40's, I did not have the needed note taking skills because I had never developed them. That made things more difficult for me at times.

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: pcr2] #6652861
10/30/19 08:12 AM
10/30/19 08:12 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by pcr2
i've caught lots of fur after goin through my box of notes i've taken on the trapline over the 30 yrs i've been hittin it hard.

i have a notebook here by my computer,one at my desk in the furshop,and one in my truck year round for notes.i'd only remember half what i should without reminders and notes.

I am also a note-taker so my opinion might be biased, take it for what it is worth. I carry a spiral-bound notebook with me everywhere, on the trapline, while hunting or fishing, to work, everywhere.

When I知 outdoors I take notes anything I find interesting. If I flush an entire flock of grouse I値l make a note, if I see multiple piles of coyote crap I値l make a note, if I see two heavily used deer trails intersecting I値l make a note, if I find a large stand of white oak, or Hickory, or any mast-producing trees, I値l make a note. It is very useful for me to go back over my previous notes when I知 thinking about where I want to hunt or trap in new areas.

At work I keep one with me also. As an example; if I am sheathing a hip-roof I am usually working three or four sheets ahead of the saw guy. I will measure up a sheet and jot down the notes then move on to the next piece. When he is ready to cut, I refer to my notes and yell the numbers down at him.

I think your lead guy is being a jerk and doesn稚 really have the patience or attitude to be a teacher.

Eh...wot?

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652871
10/30/19 08:19 AM
10/30/19 08:19 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Trainer is an idiot.
Continue doing whatever it takes for *you* to do a good job. Work around the trainer, keep your temper, this too shall pass.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652876
10/30/19 08:22 AM
10/30/19 08:22 AM
western pa
G
goldnut Offline
trapper
goldnut  Offline
trapper
G

western pa
Just quit taking notes and when he complains that you did something wrong, tell him "yeah but did you see how fast I did it wrong!!"

Last edited by goldnut; 10/30/19 08:23 AM.

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652894
10/30/19 08:43 AM
10/30/19 08:43 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
He can't learn the way You do Wolfdog, and likewise you dony learn same as Him.

We All are different... I'd stay your course...

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652920
10/30/19 09:20 AM
10/30/19 09:20 AM
Virginia
D
Dave Kimball Offline
trapper
Dave Kimball  Offline
trapper
D

Virginia
You ever thought maybe you are, or should be headed for higher things. You write very well, at least spellcheck makes it seem so.

Dave Kimball
NTA-VTA Life Member
Trapping Some- Buying Some
(804) 631-7417
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652941
10/30/19 09:40 AM
10/30/19 09:40 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you definitely want to take notes.
everyone remembers things differently , I do not do names , we could talk for hours one day and I might be able to recite your life's story and the make and model of every gun mentioned int he conversation , but your name , no

documentation is very good , notes pictures screen shots have saved me many times .

in a study they found Surgeons who followed a check list and had the nurse make notes as each step was done and write down all the gauze , clamps and stuff that went in during the surgery and then as it came out reduced medical malpractice by a significant margin.

these are supposed to be the most educated and best trained people , many have done the surgery dozens of times.

with your notes you should spend less time running around and figuring things out for the second time.

I take notes for work , I am actualy required to write up a service ticket that has notes on what the issue was , steps to resolve it and resolution. I may work with a dozen sites or more in a week , often customers who were hot to trot on an issue one day wait 2 weeks to call back in with the info I asked them to get, how am I supposed to remember a thousand sites and their issues back months,

notes are good

really there should already be a laminated sheet with all the frame dimensions and part numbers and a picture in the work area for building them so that any one who knows how to run a saw and a tape measure can in 5 minutes look over the sheet and start building.

not having things like that document is asking for mistakes and wasting training time.

this doesn't even speak to the distractions , yes there will definitely be distractions I may be working on a project and then an emergency call happens I am dropping everything to handle the emergency , then when done I need to go back.

pictures of equipment and assemblies cable paths and connections , with phones having cameras , we have been taking pictures especially with the portability of pictures these days via email , txt , online sharing .ect.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: TrapperDR] #6652954
10/30/19 09:51 AM
10/30/19 09:51 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by TrapperDR
Your lead forgot it took him years to burn that info into his head. Writing notes helps with memorization, continue what you are doing! After a while those notes will not be needed.

I would strongly encourage you to keep taking notes.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652961
10/30/19 10:02 AM
10/30/19 10:02 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Just keep taking notes. I have been in my industry for 20 years and I still take notes or write up a job log so that I can reference them later if needed. This has helped me to make repairs or diagnose issue much quicker and get the equipment up and running faster. Nothing wrong with what you are doing. I wish I had 10 of you in my shop that were as dedicated.

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652977
10/30/19 10:28 AM
10/30/19 10:28 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
there are generally 3 types of trainers

1. the person who knows how to teach but hasn't got a firm grasp on the material.

2. the person who knows the material inside and out could do it virtually in their sleep.

3. the person who knows the material inside and out and then learned how to teach it and has refined it to the most effective and efficient way to understand and teach it.

Type 1 , I had a high-school science teacher , she would be reading the book as we cam into class , and she would basically recite the book back to use for the first 20 minutes of class. lady I can read , but what about the questions the book doesn't answer , she just had issues applying the concepts to real world examples , thankfully I had the other instructor for the class second semester , grade went up because he was much better at teaching the concept and not the book. I need to understand the concept to apply not just recite the book.
it is hard to learn much of anything from the Type 1 instructors / trainers.

Type 2 they know the material inside and out , but You need to know how you learn and what questions to ask and notes to take , you can learn a lot from these trainers if you put in the time asking the questions so that you cement the concept and can apply it with all the details you need to glean from them.

Type 3 this is a real trainer , they understand the material inside and out , the concepts and not only do they know how to teach them but they know how to effectively test them. they also give you the material to refer back to so that you don't have to remember everything on the first go round. they can break everything down into the sub system and basically flow chart you through the test and resolution of each sub system. so that you can look at all the parts and the whole.
you may find they say it , show it , then have you do it to cement the concept and start to build your muscle memory right , knowing that it will take longer to un-train bad habits or bad form.

Type 3 is the trainer we should all be striving to be. know the material , understand the concepts , then understand teaching , present material in logical chunks letting them know what they need to know then why they need to know it once they begin to understand the concept. we want to present as much information as efficiently as time to not waste time or run out of time to teach. your student will be drinking form a fire hose of knowledge as it is . try not to give them more than they can handle and repeat it so that they are hearing everything more than once without being overly repetitive.

you may only run into a few of these solid type 3 trainers in your life , some people decide they like learning so they think they should teach , others are exceptional doers , but it takes that person who is an exceptional doer who has a calling to teach it as well.

you can become a better learner also by thinking about how you would teach what your learning.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/30/19 10:32 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6652983
10/30/19 10:36 AM
10/30/19 10:36 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I have knew parts guys that could look up 3 or 4 parts and they would all have several digits and he would keep them in his head and go off the parts bins and most always come back with the right parts. I can't do that, never could and most likely never will. Our memories are all different or at least have been programmed different. From reading your post you seem to be a forward thinker but there is enough back tracker in you that you pay attention to detail, esp. when trying to teach a concept to others. I try to use association when it comes to remembering objects or names, etc. But if I get more than a couple of numbers esp. fractions then if I don't have them on paper most likely I will be wrong. It does no good to measure twice and cut once if I can't remember the figures, lol.
I knew a deacon once that kept a small note book and a stubby lead pencil in his shirt pocket and made a lot of notes. People said his memory had been bad since he was a kid and had did the note thing all his life. He was a retired boiler maker and expert welder, apparently his employer focused on his skill more than his memory and note taking doesn't take near as long as a redo from having the wrong figures.
I have trouble remembering pass words, I use association like a pet, etc. But as I get older I can't remember the pet name either, lol.
Sounds like your boss is more interested in changing you than optimizing your skills for the best production out put. Bear with him til a new door opens.

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: Wolfdog91] #6653319
10/30/19 05:55 PM
10/30/19 05:55 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
I take notes, pictures on my phone, and make drawings all the time. It takes a long time to memorize some things, and others aren't worth remembering.

I have people ask me questions all day long that they think I should know, but I'm sorry I don't know the torque specks on a 1983 Briggs head bolt.....

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: DuxDawg] #6653421
10/30/19 07:50 PM
10/30/19 07:50 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Trainer is an idiot.
Continue doing whatever it takes for *you* to do a good job. Work around the trainer, keep your temper, this too shall pass.

Funny Story about temper. I'm a fairly calm person I feel and honestly I don't really like talking mess. Just not my deal. Well my trainer thinks he's the crap talking master so he's constantly prodding trying to make me. Told him if I started he wouldn't like me because I'll tell him some stuff that would really hurt his feelings and his skin isn't as tough as some if the ole boys I ran with in the army. I said please stop and let me do my job. Well came in and he started and I say screw it. Well he gets embarrassed in front of some folks and I tell him very camly he needs to knock it off because from this point on I'm goin to stop being so nice and he's going to get his feeling hurt alot more if he keeps testing me.
Come today he comes up with that " imma start some crap face "while I was talking to somone. He asked how can I remember all that millitary stuff and not a at of measurements. I get less than a sentence out of my mouth before he starts saying how their is no difference between the two bla bla bla. I smile and twll him how big of an idiot he I and really break down Barney style how he's one of the kinda folks that only wants to hear what they want to here,only there way is right and so on. All real calm like. Well he gets red in the face and start yelling how i need to get out my feelings. When I point out he the one all red in the face and talking loud he start walking up to me all bowed talking about I I keep on he's gonna go up side my head and so on. Well I step up and calmly tell him I aint going to lay a hand on him but if he's stupid enough to hes really not going to like what happens next. Guess th I has never happens to him before because he just stood there looking confused. Still wouldn't let me work alone but he's been alot less talky. Hopefully (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) just friggen decided to leave me alone

Re: Apparently keeping notes is a bad thing [Re: pcr2] #6653425
10/30/19 07:53 PM
10/30/19 07:53 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by pcr2

using any of those new traps and supplies we all watched ya get and open??

and painted turtles here have had their name changed to Wolfies.bet 100 times i've said to myself"Wolfies are out sunnin."

when you are givin the guy training you's job,suggest to him he should take notes. laugh
lol that's awsome! And no haven't made any sets out. Might not till December but got some good public property scouted out

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread