No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657164
11/04/19 02:28 PM
11/04/19 02:28 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Redsnow that is not always the case either. Brother shot a doe at about 150yds and may have gotten a deflection. but the round took out both shoulders. That doe "ran" 450 - 500yds bouncing all the way on her chest and just using the rear legs. It was a pain the A to try and catch up to her and get a finishing round into her. But yes I would agree that most of the time that is true

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657179
11/04/19 02:56 PM
11/04/19 02:56 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Perfect boiler area shoot a deer with an arrow and it runs the 50 75 yards your talking about.

Perfect boiler area shoot a deer with a 12 ga slug they pile up. Slug at the skin on the opposite side.

Perfect boiler area shoot a deer with a 45-70 325 gr and they pile up.

Seems to me your experience with your setup is more of a precision arrow type of kill. What do they call it? Hydraulic shock or something? Maybe thats why my heavier stuff drops them.

I've seen running doe shot straight through the heart with a 20 gage and she never missed a beat and made it another 100+ yards.

Sometimes it just depends on the situation I think. But yours always being the same thing statistically, I think points at that Hydraulic shock factor of your setup.

Be less like an arrow and more like a baseball bat. Make sense?

Re: One Shot [Re: OhioBoy] #6657226
11/04/19 04:34 PM
11/04/19 04:34 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Perfect boiler area shoot a deer with an arrow and it runs the 50 75 yards your talking about.

Perfect boiler area shoot a deer with a 12 ga slug they pile up. Slug at the skin on the opposite side.

Seems to me your experience with your setup is more of a precision arrow type of kill. What do they call it? Hydraulic shock or something? Maybe thats why my heavier stuff drops them.

I've seen running doe shot straight through the heart with a 20 gage and she never missed a beat and made it another 100+ yards.

Sometimes it just depends on the situation I think. But yours always being the same thing statistically, I think points at that Hydraulic shock factor of your setup.

i think defining perfect boiler room in terms of a circle on the deer where that is , might be in order. because I think it means different things to different people.

a double lung shot many would consider perfect boiler room and they run all the time when shot that way with slugs

like you said 20ga slug through the heart and runs 100 yards without even missing a step or bucking at the shot.

my argument is unless you shock the CNS central nervios system causing spine damage or brain hemorrhage you have a runner.

that shock to cause brain hemorrhage can come from hydrstatic shock , but unless you can get a very very high energy to animal volume counting on hydrostatic shock is roll of the dice. on a 50 pound or smaller animal if you dump 1k fpe it generally happens

but dumping 1 or even 2K in a 225 pound or larger animal is no guarantee

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: One Shot [Re: James] #6657500
11/04/19 09:28 PM
11/04/19 09:28 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by James
"The yellow circle is great advice for the vast majority of hunters to select. It allows for the largest margin of error for still killing the deer. The vast majority of hunters need that margin of error not because they are not precision shooters, but rather because it is hard to bring a shooting bench into the field."

Why not just shoot the deer in the leg and wait for hydrostatic shock to dispatch them?

Jim

In which Outdoor Life Magazine did you read that, Poindexter?

Re: One Shot [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6657725
11/05/19 07:02 AM
11/05/19 07:02 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I wasn't going to bring it up b/c someone will want to argue about it but since you did... the boiler area isn't really just strictly behind the front leg.
The deers shoulder isn't right above the leg like a humans arm/shoulder so its hard to picture it that way but thats the way that it is.
I've marked the perfect boiler area shot in green. Notice how high the shoulder blade is and how open it is above the front leg.

The best thing I read thats stuck with me is not to picture only where the bullet is going in, but also where its going to come out... you want to go through the boiler area, not just into it.

Notice that if you go for a spine shot above the leg that thats really where the shoulder blade is and I've seen that thing stop 12ga slugs like armor plating. You wouldn't think so but I seen it for myself.

Being high there trying for a front spine is the last thing you want to do b/c its covered up.

Now shooting from above between those should blades for a spine and through boiler area making a whale blow hole through there is a trifecta. Thats a show stopper.

A good example of picturing where it goes in, comes out, and everything in between.

Also notice how low the spine is. It doesn't run along the skin like on our backs. Its way down in there. See grey line.

Anyway, thats just me and my thoughts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by OhioBoy

i think defining perfect boiler room in terms of a circle on the deer where that is , might be in order. because I think it means different things to different people.

a double lung shot many would consider perfect boiler room and they run all the time when shot that way with slugs

like you said 20ga slug through the heart and runs 100 yards without even missing a step or bucking at the shot.

my argument is unless you shock the CNS central nervios system causing spine damage or brain hemorrhage you have a runner.

that shock to cause brain hemorrhage can come from hydrstatic shock , but unless you can get a very very high energy to animal volume counting on hydrostatic shock is roll of the dice. on a 50 pound or smaller animal if you dump 1k fpe it generally happens

but dumping 1 or even 2K in a 225 pound or larger animal is no guarantee

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657773
11/05/19 08:07 AM
11/05/19 08:07 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Take some gallon jugs filled with water and do some shooting. You'll find some rounds will just put two holes in it, and others will blow the backside clear off the jug.

Ask those magazine writers why that is.

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657802
11/05/19 08:56 AM
11/05/19 08:56 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Thats what i was trying to say earlier. You did a better job hippie.

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657895
11/05/19 11:05 AM
11/05/19 11:05 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Ohioboy we agree on the your shooting for a point at the center of the heart and lungs and angle changes point of entry and exit but yes very much through.

yes there are bullets that punch two holes in a milk jug and the water leaks out.

there are also bullets that spray water 10 feet in the air and shred the water jug

some combination however is needed I have shot bullets into deer that make a water jug rupture sending water 10 feet it the air but they really didn't have the penetration I wanted either no with exit hole.even though it resulted in a dead deer that didn't go far that was more a product of shot placement an had it hit any large bone it likely wouldn't have done as well I then decided not to use that bullet any more for deer

an ideal bullet expands but also carries the majority of the weight through and makes and exit and shatters any bone it hits.

slugs can be a real let down, I have seen a lot of deer shot with foster type slugs and shot a lot of deer with slugs myself a 2 3/4 inch 12g slug at 1600fps is falling sub sonic at around 70 yards at 100 yards it carries 1/3 of it's original energy so shooting a deer that is 90 yards away vs one 30 yards away produces very different wound channels .

while I haven't seen a near side shoulder stop a 12 ga I am sure under the right circumstances it could , I have seen 20ga slugs stopped in the far shoulder

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6657920
11/05/19 11:37 AM
11/05/19 11:37 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Shooting deer in the shoulder/shoulders is a waste of meat to me, but that's another subject. That's about a quarter of the meat wasted.

I agree on needing the proper bullet, but even with the same bullet, the fast one does more damage.

Example....... Take the 22cal bullet of your choice and shoot a jug with it mounted in a 22 hornet case, then shoot a jug with it in a 220swift. You'll see what speed does.

Re: One Shot [Re: James] #6658039
11/05/19 04:13 PM
11/05/19 04:13 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Here is what I have noticed more than anything else. Whether high powered rifle, or shotgun slug, if the bullet does not pass through on a chest shot, the deer is DRT nearly every time.
Hydrostatic shot is a terrible thing. A pass through cheats you out of it. Bullet type selection can greatly aid in the prevention of pass through.

I have to disagree somewhat, Carl. I'd rather have the bullet punch on through and leave two holes to better leak blood.

I worry more about lack of penetration than lack of hydrostatic shock.

Jim

I agree. I want a blood trail to follow if the deer runs off. Two holes will leak blood. One hole, not much if any.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: One Shot [Re: 330-Trapper] #6658073
11/05/19 05:12 PM
11/05/19 05:12 PM
SE Iowa
S
seiowatrapper Offline
trapper
seiowatrapper  Offline
trapper
S

SE Iowa
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Follow the front leg up, at the top of the Scapula. Very Top. They Drop.

I have heard it said this shot ^^, is the "Game Warden Shot"...as the deer will drop in it's tracks and not run off.

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658101
11/05/19 05:59 PM
11/05/19 05:59 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
https://youtu.be/0akv5_WSJqI

A chest shot caribou can disappear really quick in this terrain. A chest shot moose can run 200 yards into the roughest swamp adding hours to the work. I was taught to minimize meat wastage. Growing up my Grandpa didn’t say “great shooting. Wow look at those antlers”. He said “good you got it but next time aim better” wasn’t enough just to hit them. I was taught to hit the sweet spot for a humane kill and no wasted meat.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: One Shot [Re: hippie] #6658107
11/05/19 06:10 PM
11/05/19 06:10 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
Originally Posted by hippie
Shooting deer in the shoulder/shoulders is a waste of meat to me, but that's another subject. That's about a quarter of the meat wasted.

I agree on needing the proper bullet, but even with the same bullet, the fast one does more damage.

Example....... Take the 22cal bullet of your choice and shoot a jug with it mounted in a 22 hornet case, then shoot a jug with it in a 220swift. You'll see what speed does.

I need to learn how to get a quarter of the meat of the front shoulders. I figured about 1/5 if I ground all the tendons and other stuff that dont taste that great. If I clean it I to good meat then about 1/8 of the meat. Oklahoma must have small shouldered deer.

Re: One Shot [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6658112
11/05/19 06:21 PM
11/05/19 06:21 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
https://youtu.be/0akv5_WSJqI

A chest shot caribou can disappear really quick in this terrain. A chest shot moose can run 200 yards into the roughest swamp adding hours to the work. I was taught to minimize meat wastage. Growing up my Grandpa didn’t say “great shooting. Wow look at those antlers”. He said “good you got it but next time aim better” wasn’t enough just to hit them. I was taught to hit the sweet spot for a humane kill and no wasted meat.

is this where your grandfather had you shoot? red circle.
[Linked Image]

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658115
11/05/19 06:25 PM
11/05/19 06:25 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Right where the head and neck meet was his advice. He always showed me the anatomy of animals as we worked on them. We take all pieces bone in and don’t like trimming bloodshot meat. Aim small miss small is good advice. No room for buck fever. All animal bleed just like us. All his advice. Keep in mind we hunt for meat only. Grandpa has killed at least 1000 caribou.

Last edited by Ryan McLeod; 11/05/19 06:29 PM.

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658125
11/05/19 06:42 PM
11/05/19 06:42 PM
louisiana
C
chickenwing Offline
trapper
chickenwing  Offline
trapper
C

louisiana
Keith
I shoot a 7600 and also used 180 corelock and had the same results
Deer run till they drop dead as a hammer

I switched to lighter bullets. 150. Or 165. This will drop in
I think the heavy bullets RIP through and dont expand as much

On the other hand I also gave a 243 and shoot 100 grain bullets and haven't seen a deer take another step yet

Re: One Shot [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6658127
11/05/19 06:46 PM
11/05/19 06:46 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Right where the head and neck meet was his advice. He always showed me the anatomy of animals as we worked on them. We take all pieces bone in and don’t like trimming bloodshot meat. Aim small miss small is good advice. No room for buck fever. All animal bleed just like us. All his advice. Keep in mind we hunt for meat only. Grandpa has killed at least 1000 caribou.

what does he use for a rifle?

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658130
11/05/19 06:49 PM
11/05/19 06:49 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
A 1954 model 94 Winchester 30-30. He was working on the barge and was sent ahead with the speed boat to get supplies. He seen the rifle and really wanted it. On the return trip he asked the captain for a pay advance which he got. He took the speed boat and got the rifle and two boxes of ammo. Handed over 100 bill and got change. He always says the gun doesn’t matter it’s the man behind the gun.

Last edited by Ryan McLeod; 11/05/19 06:52 PM.

Re: One Shot [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6658293
11/05/19 10:30 PM
11/05/19 10:30 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
A 1954 model 94 Winchester 30-30. He was working on the barge and was sent ahead with the speed boat to get supplies. He seen the rifle and really wanted it. On the return trip he asked the captain for a pay advance which he got. He took the speed boat and got the rifle and two boxes of ammo. Handed over 100 bill and got change. He always says the gun doesn’t matter it’s the man behind the gun.

I figured it was something very useful that , many horn hunters today would consider insufficient.

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658344
11/05/19 11:34 PM
11/05/19 11:34 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Yup. He always said there’s no use to have multiple rifles. You just need one. Then once you learn your gun you’re set. Nerves of steel helps. Grandpa got up to pour tea at the camp one year. 3 bears in the yard so he opened the door and gave them one shot each. Then poured his tea.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread