Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wyoming Marten #6660518
11/08/19 03:20 PM
11/08/19 03:20 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline OP
trapper
thedude055  Offline OP
trapper
T

Wyoming
I am interested in doing some Marten trapping in Wyoming. Never having trapped them before and being new to the state does have its limitations lol. I am not looking to get into it this year but do some research and plan a small run at them next year. Looking for leads on dominant areas and getting started information is what I am looking for.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6660528
11/08/19 03:36 PM
11/08/19 03:36 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
If it were me I would check out all the archives on this forum concerning marten trapping.
Next I would contact the Wyoming Inland Fisheries and Game or what ever they are called. Probably everything on line on their website.
Check for seasons and information. If marten are tagged like they are here in Maine you can probably locate a harvest report or two.
That would be a good start on learning some important things to know.
Check out the trapping organizations in your state and join up. You can get a lot of useful information at lots of meetings.
Look at the Wyoming website and find out where there is public land.
There is not a ton of literature or DVDs on marten trapping. Tom Krause has a marten DVD. I think a Idaho friend loaned it to me years ago.
Polly Rosenburg wrote a great little book on marten trapping but it would be tough to find a copy today.
Once in a while someone will print an article on marten trapping.

That would be a good start on learning some important things to know.
Mac

Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6660779
11/08/19 09:33 PM
11/08/19 09:33 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Who is mentoring you out there? Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6660780
11/08/19 09:34 PM
11/08/19 09:34 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
^^Plus, Tom Krause wrote a book on it, and he lives out there.....probably be a good investment.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6660868
11/08/19 11:46 PM
11/08/19 11:46 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Get high enough in elevation so that you are above the ponderosa pine and into the true fir and spruce zone. Get a snowmachine and do some exploring this winter. What mountain range are you thinking about trapping? I have not trapped marten in Wyoming but I have in other western States and Alaska.
There is some sort of strange relationship between soil moisture and good marten habitat. Once you find the elevation where there are marten in a particular range you will be able to just look at an area and determine if it is marten habitat.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6660912
11/09/19 03:03 AM
11/09/19 03:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
[Linked Image]

took this in wy. they are not hard to catch. just have to go where they are. you wont get much time, if any, to trap them without a snowmachine. you can pull a sled behind one. beaver carcass chunks are a good bait. jack rabbit and prairie dog chunks are good too. they are not pickyeaters.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6661346
11/09/19 07:20 PM
11/09/19 07:20 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Pm sent

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Wyoming Marten [Re: thedude055] #6662578
11/11/19 10:23 AM
11/11/19 10:23 AM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline OP
trapper
thedude055  Offline OP
trapper
T

Wyoming
Thanks for the info guys. I know Tom Krause via email anyways through the Wyoming trappers association. He has helped me a good bit with starting information and local buyer information. I can reach out to him on marten info as well. I didn't know he was into that I guess. Might just have to find his dvd lol. and cmcf I will get with you on it as well. Much appreciated

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91