Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trailblazer or Saber tooth #6661985
11/10/19 04:26 PM
11/10/19 04:26 PM
Pa
C
Cope23 Offline OP
trapper
Cope23  Offline OP
trapper
C

Pa
Today i realized it would be a good idea to have a dozen drags handy in case i ran into another senario where i cant stake down. I sheared off 1 wolf fang and destroyed another after trying 3 different places around my trap bed. Thats the first time thats happened to me. Must have been a big rock. Anyway, if i would have had a couple drags set up i could have just hooked it up and put the set in but instead i just moved the set. I have drags but they are the regular cheap ones and i dont trust them for a location like this. I want a drag that they cant take far. I looked online and i seen those saber tooth in a video with a coyote tied up and it looked like it did good job holding in low grass. i also seen the trailblazers and those look pretty decent also. im wondering if they hold as good. Weights not an issue as i trap out of my truck and i figure the heavier the better. I can also make my own because i have the tools to do it but i figured it would be cheaper to order them instead of buying the metal. Any suggestions

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6662098
11/10/19 07:58 PM
11/10/19 07:58 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
The sabertooth will lock up on sod I'd be leary of the trailblazer being able to do so or not. So if you're needing them for sod trapping, I'd go with the sabertooth. Else the trailblazer will be fine.if you just need something to mark or grab brush.

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6662105
11/10/19 08:03 PM
11/10/19 08:03 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Since I trap logging or woods rds, and can PRE-HOOK drags to saplings or logs, I use just a 1 lb mini drag.
They are faster, to boot, since it wastes time driving, then pulling stakes. And lots easier on my back.
5-6' of chain is plenty, cuz WHEN you get a bobcat or coon that climbs, it'll still be head high making dispatch easy.
Try shooting a coon, on 10' of chain, hiding in the crotch of a tree.

If I was out west, where I had to snag on buckbrush or willows, yes, id use longer chain and heavy drags, but that set up is not needed in the east IME, unless your in/near pasture.

I only stake down, when in pasture/field, actually.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6662106
11/10/19 08:05 PM
11/10/19 08:05 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
these mini drags are 8" tall and 6" wide
[Linked Image]

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6662505
11/11/19 08:51 AM
11/11/19 08:51 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I use those trailblazer drags. work just fine on a long chain with plenty of brush for stuff to get tangled in. I have not used the sabortooth drags. I don't see 10 cents difference in the design. Drags are not a good choice in every situation. no matter the design. in froze ground with no snow tracking them a mile or so can be a real challenge. even when the ground isn't froze a coyote will go a long ways without brush to tangle in.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: danny clifton] #6662962
11/11/19 06:39 PM
11/11/19 06:39 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I use those trailblazer drags. work just fine on a long chain with plenty of brush for stuff to get tangled in. I have not used the sabortooth drags. I don't see 10 cents difference in the design. Drags are not a good choice in every situation. no matter the design. in froze ground with no snow tracking them a mile or so can be a real challenge. even when the ground isn't froze a coyote will go a long ways without brush to tangle in.

sabertooths have sharper points for getting into sod. Im sure the trailblazers are decently sharp but its the difference between a chisel and a needle with the sabertooths being the needle. Obviously if you dont have sod to trap in, its a mute point.

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6663077
11/11/19 08:35 PM
11/11/19 08:35 PM
Pa
C
Cope23 Offline OP
trapper
Cope23  Offline OP
trapper
C

Pa
yeah i think im going with the sabertooths....seems they dig in pretty good when there is limited entanglement and unfrozen sod. I actually have other drags i used in the woods but i would like something that i feel confident would hold them down in a pasture. I have 10 ft chain on my other drags so i will be able to just swap these out as needed...I also was looking at some of JC Conners, they look like they would lock up pretty good??

Re: Trailblazer or Saber tooth [Re: Cope23] #6663114
11/11/19 09:13 PM
11/11/19 09:13 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Tracker drags or the tracker pros are good choices in sod too.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91