Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
First time for ice beavers #6662776
11/11/19 02:16 PM
11/11/19 02:16 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
Second year beaver trapper, first time chasing beavers through the ice. Headed up north to deer hunt, gunna make some beaver sets while I’m at it. Called the bait shop and they said the small lakes have 3” already and not getting above freezing until Saturday, with a high of 36*. Was planning on just setting on dams and lodges. Do baited sets by a lodge work this early? What happens if I set an open crossover on a dam and make a catch. Is that animal all chewed up or iced in? I’ve only set 330’s on lodge entrances and 750’s with castor mounds. Any advice on the matter is appreciated.

Re: First time for ice beavers [Re: K9BeavCoon] #6662811
11/11/19 03:05 PM
11/11/19 03:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Open crossovers will work,give him lots of wire and he will go under the ice.Use a slide lock and wire on a long pole to deep water if using footholds.Have your 330 either out of the water on the downward side of the crossover,or submerged on the top end so it doesn't freeze in.You can also set a foothold at the top of the crossover and a 330 half way down or at the bottom.You can also set a 330 submerged below the dam at the crossover.
If the ice is clear enough,baited 330's or snarepoles will work just under the ice where you see the bubble trails,on either side of the feedbed.You don't need clear ice to make these sets though it helps to get on the right location.
And of course 330's set in the entrance runs are paydirt.

Last edited by Boco; 11/11/19 03:13 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: First time for ice beavers [Re: K9BeavCoon] #6662903
11/11/19 05:21 PM
11/11/19 05:21 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Lately I have been doing things a bit differently.

Later in winter when they are good and hungry, I find a good channel and set it up with two traps generally . I then put two baited conis right against the side of the house, at right angles to the house, taking care to set them just far enough from the channel traps to avoid being set off by a caught beaver.

Then, a bit further out about 5 feet apart, on either side of the channel, two snare poles, or one if the house is smaller. Have had six beaver and two otter in one 3 day check.

My theory is one check, plus if I am going through all the work to find a channel (which often isnt easy), I am going to make it worth my while. I can kill a house in one check, and then I leave the next house for other beaver to move into. I have seen guys set one snare pole at a house, one trap per channel (and often miss the channel), and do check after check with a beaver here and a beaver there. I want to get in, get beaver and get out so I have started setting an obscene amount of traps at a house. Obviously I only set decent size houses, and take care to leave the smaller ones.

If I find two channels, I split the traps up but six traps at a house means that I only usually do one check.

Re: First time for ice beavers [Re: Boco] #6663627
11/12/19 12:37 PM
11/12/19 12:37 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
Originally Posted by Boco
Open crossovers will work,give him lots of wire and he will go under the ice.Use a slide lock and wire on a long pole to deep water if using footholds.Have your 330 either out of the water on the downward side of the crossover,or submerged on the top end so it doesn't freeze in.You can also set a foothold at the top of the crossover and a 330 half way down or at the bottom.You can also set a 330 submerged below the dam at the crossover.
If the ice is clear enough,baited 330's or snarepoles will work just under the ice where you see the bubble trails,on either side of the feedbed.You don't need clear ice to make these sets though it helps to get on the right location.
And of course 330's set in the entrance runs are paydirt.

There’s a set of 3 dams on some public land I’d like to set. I saw a lot of otter sign on it last year. It’s pretty far back but accessible by 4wheeler. I’d like to stay somewhat inconspicuous. I’ll have to walk in, don’t feel like carrying in rebar drowners or losing my 750’s to a thief. Could a guy use staked coni brackets, and wire off the trap so the trap and catch are pulled downstream/ under the ice?

Re: First time for ice beavers [Re: K9BeavCoon] #6663726
11/12/19 02:05 PM
11/12/19 02:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If your in a remote area and don't want to carry stuff,all you need is bodygrips,an axe,pliers and wire.You can cut all your trap supports,fencing,drowning poles etc on site.keep your trap support sticks short.Once beaver is caught he will go down into the water,and if you use enough wire the 330 will keep him under and he wont freeze to the ice.

Last edited by Boco; 11/12/19 02:08 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: First time for ice beavers [Re: K9BeavCoon] #6664456
11/13/19 08:10 AM
11/13/19 08:10 AM
wisconsin
F
forester79 Offline
trapper
forester79  Offline
trapper
F

wisconsin
I like to Target bank dens with the clear ice conditions right now. Look for the most obvious high bank from the lodge. The bubble trails will lead you to the den. It's even possible to see where the ice had been open longer due to activity.
With the high water we have right now alot of the dens are pretty deep. 3 ft plus makes it a little more challenging to find and set them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91