Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Pipe dream pup #6661860
11/10/19 01:10 PM
11/10/19 01:10 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
In preparation for deer opener, I pulled all my traps Friday except two next to the cabin. I found this young fella in the pipe dream set when I came in from my deer stand. As he was a pup, I let him go hoping to see him next year when he is bigger. In the second photo he doesnt yet know he isn't caught anymore.

fox pup.jpgfox pup2.jpg
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6661868
11/10/19 01:19 PM
11/10/19 01:19 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
As a side note to the above; the set was put in two weeks prior with no further contact on my part.....the scent of lure and bait remains for some time

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6662436
11/11/19 06:31 AM
11/11/19 06:31 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Probably pooped out and catching his breath. Nice catch.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6662674
11/11/19 11:50 AM
11/11/19 11:50 AM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
Nice job. Good looking fox.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6662956
11/11/19 06:30 PM
11/11/19 06:30 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
As a side note to the above; the set was put in two weeks prior with no further contact on my part.....the scent of lure and bait remains for some time

Right!

"Set it and forget it!"

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6663019
11/11/19 07:48 PM
11/11/19 07:48 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]
Pipe dream double. These sets saw snow, warm melt, cold, rain then real cold this morning when I got them. I was the guy who carried around a jug of waxed dirt last year. No more, grass is much lighter and with water running through the set I don't have a chunk of ice over the pan of me I did with waxed dirt. Like you said Mark, set it and forget it but also be confident it will fire when stepped on.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6663519
11/12/19 10:42 AM
11/12/19 10:42 AM
NW IL
DarkNight Offline
trapper
DarkNight  Offline
trapper

NW IL
[Linked Image]
Testing how to post pictures of a pipe dream set. Pipe is just right of the cow chip. The whole thing is under 4 inches of snow as of yesterday.

-Relentless pursuit-
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6663521
11/12/19 10:45 AM
11/12/19 10:45 AM
NW IL
DarkNight Offline
trapper
DarkNight  Offline
trapper

NW IL
[Linked Image]
It's somewhere ahead and to the right of that turkey. Again, just figuring out picture posting. Nice photos guys!

-Relentless pursuit-
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6664004
11/12/19 07:28 PM
11/12/19 07:28 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Wow look at the size of that pipe! Put half a beaver in that one? Lol

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: strike2x] #6664067
11/12/19 08:27 PM
11/12/19 08:27 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by strike2x
[Linked Image]
Pipe dream double. These sets saw snow, warm melt, cold, rain then real cold this morning when I got them. I was the guy who carried around a jug of waxed dirt last year. No more, grass is much lighter and with water running through the set I don't have a chunk of ice over the pan of me I did with waxed dirt. Like you said Mark, set it and forget it but also be confident it will fire when stepped on.

Exactly.....I am finding it much harder to dig or drill a dirt hole and carry ANY dirt or even peat moss.........not because I am obligated or pressured but because, well, it works.........

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6664151
11/12/19 09:52 PM
11/12/19 09:52 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I think the thing other trappers need to understand is how easy it is to bed the trap and how solid it is. I have waxed dirt, cover hulls, peat moss all ready to go. It wasn't until season almost started that I looked at and studied the pipe dream set. It was supposed to be just a test to see how it works and I found it works so well in almost any environment that I don't really see the need to set any other way in the near future. To make it clear, I can bed in dirt and am pretty proficient at it also. I can catch animals that way also. I caught a couple fox with a dirt bike and a trap bedded in dirt with polyfill under the pan the way I learned from Mark June's videos. If lived in an area that had no rain or snow I might have never tried the pipe dream set. Not to take anything away from Mark June but I think you one upped him on this set. Lol you both have been inspiration to my trapping methods along with some local trappers that helped me. I have 2 pipe dream sets out right now that got about 4 inches of snow on them and I can't pin point them from the road with snow but I expect to find a coyote in one of them soon. A little footnote, I still use the MB 550s and other trapping equipment I bought from Mark June a few years ago. They work great I the pipe set.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: strike2x] #6665417
11/14/19 07:34 AM
11/14/19 07:34 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by strike2x
I think the thing other trappers need to understand is how easy it is to bed the trap and how solid it is. I have waxed dirt, cover hulls, peat moss all ready to go. It wasn't until season almost started that I looked at and studied the pipe dream set. It was supposed to be just a test to see how it works and I found it works so well in almost any environment that I don't really see the need to set any other way in the near future. To make it clear, I can bed in dirt and am pretty proficient at it also. I can catch animals that way also. I caught a couple fox with a dirt bike and a trap bedded in dirt with polyfill under the pan the way I learned from Mark June's videos. If lived in an area that had no rain or snow I might have never tried the pipe dream set. Not to take anything away from Mark June but I think you one upped him on this set. Lol you both have been inspiration to my trapping methods along with some local trappers that helped me. I have 2 pipe dream sets out right now that got about 4 inches of snow on them and I can't pin point them from the road with snow but I expect to find a coyote in one of them soon. A little footnote, I still use the MB 550s and other trapping equipment I bought from Mark June a few years ago. They work great I the pipe set.

Don't sell your auger yet, let alone your waxed dirt and other stuff......you need a bigger sample!

No "one-upping" going on here unless in your own mind......this set evolved over, frankly, decades of playing in the rain, mud, ice and snow. People get hung up on the pipe, but the bedding method, grass, steel screen, hammer-bedding were all done by me on sets using T-Bones, bamboo, Grab and Die Sticks, or just grass tufts my dogs marked. The pipe was the last thing added and the MAIN advantage of the pipe vs. the other items is its durability. Its a multi-set lure/bait holder, with T-Bones being the second my reusable (meaning after a catch). Bamboo and wooden dowels were usually "one and done".

I'll say it again: I think a DH is a "better" coyote set largely due to the visual appeal that the pipe (the way I make it!) does NOT have. That said, if the dirt hole is out of commission due to the hole being filled with water (welcome to New York!) or the hole and bed filled with snow (welcome to New York!) then I think the Pipe Dream takes the lead. Getting that stink ABOVE ground and the trap UP TOP and NOT on they bottom of a bed filled with water (above 32 degrees) or ice (below 32 degrees!) keeps it operative longer and through tougher conditions that hole sets.

This is NOT based on a small sample! Decades, thousands and thousands of sets and more than a handful of successful coyote catches in crap......

Zagman

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6665419
11/14/19 07:38 AM
11/14/19 07:38 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
kinda weather goin on to prove its worth again this year.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: Zagman] #6667136
11/16/19 07:30 AM
11/16/19 07:30 AM
NE Nebraska, U.S.
C
Cooncaller Offline
trapper
Cooncaller  Offline
trapper
C

NE Nebraska, U.S.
Mark, I have watched this video a couple times. In this weather, your ground is not froze real hard yet. You were still able to use your hammer to dig some dirt up still. What about when it is froze rock hard?? Do you just hammer your bed in for your chain and levers to sit in and then hammer the outside of your jaws to lock it in??

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6667227
11/16/19 10:06 AM
11/16/19 10:06 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
What video, Cooncaller? I'd like to watch it

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: AJE] #6667728
11/16/19 09:38 PM
11/16/19 09:38 PM
NE Nebraska, U.S.
C
Cooncaller Offline
trapper
Cooncaller  Offline
trapper
C

NE Nebraska, U.S.
In Zagman’s signature line click on the YouTube channel. It will be Coyote U channel. He did an episode. You get a good idea, but you will need some background reading.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6667777
11/16/19 10:06 PM
11/16/19 10:06 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]
I hear your Mr Zagman. I have no plans of getting rid of any of my bedding materials or tools, I will have some sets bedded in waxed dirt when the thaw happens this week. Will make for .a serious freeze hazard. 40s all day and 20s at night make for a trap that won't fire at about 4 am.

Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: Cooncaller] #6669098
11/18/19 03:23 PM
11/18/19 03:23 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by Cooncaller
Mark, I have watched this video a couple times. In this weather, your ground is not froze real hard yet. You were still able to use your hammer to dig some dirt up still. What about when it is froze rock hard?? Do you just hammer your bed in for your chain and levers to sit in and then hammer the outside of your jaws to lock it in??

Don't get TOO hung up on that video, as it wasn't really idea for showing pipe sets! Lots of snow but ground under was NOT frozen....so yes, I was able to dig out a decent bed vs concrete frozen ground.

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe dream pup [Re: SkyeDancer] #6670787
11/20/19 11:55 AM
11/20/19 11:55 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
I have used the set. In a grassy spot where a dirt hole will not fit in
Or looks out of place that's when imo it shines.
I like useing bones old white ones so standing up out of the ground so white pipe it is. Bait in it and going.
Or a grab and die stick with a flare a grey pipe a bit of wrap and sheep wool. Bait or lure in the pipe now you got 2 attractors.
I use Mark's type of bedding system in a grassy section that a dirt pattern will stick out like a dime on a goats rear-end
Snow or soon to snow sets hayledge on a trap works well in a pinch.
Imo What I think what guys are MISSING is that Marks set is another set designed for his type of weather his type terrian. When the weather comes north tongue in cheek. Dirt hole fill with rwater when it rains in that country and when it snow it snows .
I am a flat set guy I like dirt holes but in rocks it does not work well lol.
So animal holes for me. Mouse, gopher and .badger at times.
Pipe dream set is a wonderful set ,,,give up normal sets nope lol.

Kenneth schoening
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91