ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? #6663399
11/12/19 08:43 AM
11/12/19 08:43 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I am still amazed at what people expect me to do for free!

Got a call a day or two ago. Lady wants me to come get a dead deer out of her private pond. My wife took the call. Lady tells her that her own dogs killed the deer, now it's floating in the pond and she wants me to come out and remove it. My wife tells her I can do this but there is a fee for the service.

"Oh." she says. "Well, I'll have to call my daughter. She actually owns the property." Then she never calls back.

Really? She wants me to come out and remove a dead deer floating in her pond, that her own dogs killed and thinks I'm supposed to do it for free???

What is wrong with people??

Another one that called just yesterday.

Lady tells me, "There is a stray dog that was hit on the highway in front of my house. You need to come get him." And she spoke so matter of factly like it's my job to remove dead animals from the highway.

I tell her, "Yes Mam. I can do that but I do charge for the service." She seemed to be astonished that I would have the audacity to charge a fee for working. Flustered she asked me "Then what do I do?" I so bad just wanted to tell her, "Dig a hole!" I advised her to call DOT.

Muddawg
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6663558
11/12/19 11:18 AM
11/12/19 11:18 AM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
I'm listed on Google biz. Only lets you put under certain categories what's in system for what type of biz you are. So I'm under animal control closest I could get..which I do just on the wildlife side of course which isnt a option. So I get fair share of have dead cat or dead deer calls or even plain cat and dog calls. Amazes me too that they think it's free but I just explain I'm not paid by state or city.

Last edited by NWTrapper85; 11/12/19 11:19 AM.
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6663629
11/12/19 12:40 PM
11/12/19 12:40 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
People think I work for the game commission. Had a guy call me about moving a rattlesnake . When I told him what I was gonna charge, he told me he thought i worked for the game commission. Didn't have me do the job.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6664176
11/12/19 10:08 PM
11/12/19 10:08 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We used to get a lot of calls like that. I think it had to do with one of the companies trying to find us leads. We dropped the service and most of the calls stopped. I'm convinced one of the key words for searches must have been, "free". They swore this was not the case, but they had way too many of those folks for it to be a coincidence.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6664938
11/13/19 06:11 PM
11/13/19 06:11 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Happens very often, As Limestone stated, Those lead companies will say anything to get their fee. What really kills me, The area I"m in, Lots of money around & it's always the ones with the multi million dollar homes that are looking for the free services.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6664942
11/13/19 06:19 PM
11/13/19 06:19 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Or, want 1/2 the fur check!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: BigBob] #6665019
11/13/19 07:35 PM
11/13/19 07:35 PM
Missouri
C
Crs89 Offline
trapper
Crs89  Offline
trapper
C

Missouri
Originally Posted by BigBob
Or, want 1/2 the fur check!

Had a farmer try that after season was over so I said sure let me figure things up. Wrote out my time, trap cost, bait cost, fuel cost and then gave him a bill after I deducted "his" half of the fur. He was astonished of the cost of things and let it go but still has me back every year to thin critters out.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6665575
11/14/19 10:56 AM
11/14/19 10:56 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
yes Kenneth, FREE, since some folks think we work for the govt.

I explain up front, "I am a private biz, just like if you call an electrician or plumber."

THAT usually gets their attn.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6665577
11/14/19 10:58 AM
11/14/19 10:58 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Muddawg
She wants me to come out and remove a dead deer floating in her pond, that her own dogs killed .

While they were in violation of a leash law probably!

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6666034
11/14/19 09:53 PM
11/14/19 09:53 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
We used to get a lot of calls like that. I think it had to do with one of the companies trying to find us leads. We dropped the service and most of the calls stopped. I'm convinced one of the key words for searches must have been, "free". They swore this was not the case, but they had way too many of those folks for it to be a coincidence.

Occupational hazard if people call the division of wildlife(or your state's equivalent) or the local police/sheriff department and they give them your number.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6666206
11/15/19 03:50 AM
11/15/19 03:50 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
If that was the case, the free calls wouldn't have dropped so fast when we dropped the lead service. We were literally having people call in because they saw a weasel running down the street or there was a hawk in their gas station parking lot.

There will always be some, but it was crazy.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6669303
11/18/19 07:43 PM
11/18/19 07:43 PM
Prophetstown, Illinois
J
J.Melton Offline
trapper
J.Melton  Offline
trapper
J

Prophetstown, Illinois
Yea, I had a call Today. A landowner has a huge Beaver Problem and his neighbor referred me. I would love to trap that location (just a mile from home) but I told him this is a business and I charge for it. He opted to find someone to trap it for free. grrrr

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6669317
11/18/19 07:52 PM
11/18/19 07:52 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Those people aren't the clients you want anyway. There has to be a competitor that you enjoy referring the more unique calls to, lol.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6670682
11/20/19 09:47 AM
11/20/19 09:47 AM
Central IA
B
badger Offline
trapper
badger  Offline
trapper
B

Central IA
people would ask is there anybody that does it for free? I used to say sarcasticly "you mean like a charity?"

Now I just keep repeating my price if they don't understand and say : "do you need us to come out?"

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6671188
11/20/19 08:39 PM
11/20/19 08:39 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Why yes, yes you are. After all, it's the Holidays. LOL. get them (calls) more and more lately. keep notes- time, date, who you spoke to and issue. I keep records of every call. Trust me, comes in handy down the road when they call you back to finish the job. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6681921
12/03/19 07:12 AM
12/03/19 07:12 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
SAME SCENARIO ALMOST EVERY CALL:

1. These nuisance callers usually describe an exaggerated version of the situation. They also present it like they are doing me a favor by letting me drive to their home and catch or remove the offending animal.

2. Then I tell them that I run a private business and this is how I make my living. Therefore I charge $XXX for this type of situation.

3. They then say that the situation is more or less resolved (magically in the last 3 seconds) because the animal left, died, was carried off by a dog, or their brother in law will take care of it.

4. Then for the big finish, they say if they need help with this or another situation in the future they will certainly call me.

5. I politely say thank you for calling and I hope it works out for you. It would be great if they would quickly and concisely say: you charge too much, I have no money, this problem is not with that price, or the person who gave me your number said it would be free.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6699883
12/20/19 12:31 PM
12/20/19 12:31 PM
Cumbria England
C
coney catcher Offline
trapper
coney catcher  Offline
trapper
C

Cumbria England
Had the same myself last summer with a deer, a more mature lady rang about a dead deer in the garden , knowing the deer in the area would only be Roe which are small { around 30 lb when dressed out} i took on the removal job for a mere £50, thought it would only take a hour or so to sort it out and bury it, on arrival i could see the offending creature laying on the lawn but as soon as i got within 10 yds of it the smell was unbelievable one of those that hit you rite on the back of the throat and turns your eyes to water, back to the van , gloves , mask, feed sack, then the fun started as i tried to put it into the sack the whole thing dropped in pieces, vomit in the mask now, nearly chocking, sh1t why did i take this on, eventually all bagged and into the van, go and knock on the door of the three quarters of a million pound house to find out she only had £3o in cash or i could wait for her to post a cheque,muggins here took the cash, 2 mile drive to my mates farm with all the windows open and a clean mask on to get rid of the sacks of slime, then to the hardwear shop for air fresheners it took 3 weeks for the smell to go from the van and cost me £20 in fresheners, as they say you live and learn.

A mans heart hardens and grows cold when away from nature
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6710117
12/29/19 07:35 PM
12/29/19 07:35 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
One hates to be rude but I’ve gotten close to it. The idea that they accepted the bid and then gave you the song and dance about not having the money beckons to have the “package” left on the doorstep. They called you. They accepted your bid. They owe you when the job is done. Not at their convenience, but at yours.

Never too old to learn
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Teacher] #6710273
12/29/19 09:13 PM
12/29/19 09:13 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Teacher
One hates to be rude but I’ve gotten close to it. The idea that they accepted the bid and then gave you the song and dance about not having the money beckons to have the “package” left on the doorstep. They called you. They accepted your bid. They owe you when the job is done. Not at their convenience, but at yours.

Unfortunalty that's true for most businesses too.

Last edited by 20scout; 12/29/19 09:14 PM.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: 20scout] #6787007
02/28/20 10:14 PM
02/28/20 10:14 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by 20scout
Originally Posted by Teacher

Unfortunalty that's true for most businesses too.

It's always the rich ones that are hard to collect/get your payment from. Sometimes older customers tend to act like it's your privilege to work for them that you charge to much and should do extra work beyond the agreement for no additional charge.

I never ran an ADC business but do run a part time tree trimming business. Ther is always that 1 job out of 100 that makes you question why you bother.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread