Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap clean and wax prep #6683125
12/04/19 03:31 PM
12/04/19 03:31 PM
Northern MI
P
paradork Offline OP
trapper
paradork  Offline OP
trapper
P

Northern MI
I'm back at it. I wanna trap Bob cat next week so I bought some new wax cause I havent trapped predators in years and it had to be contaminated. Anyhow I'm on my second attempt at boiling traps trying to get last attempts wax off them. So far they have boiled for a few hours but there appears to be a slight wax residue left over on them. Old timers told me to use lye or sanitizer flush. But I poor this water on my lawn when I'm done boiling. I think drain cleaner isnt a good idea. What's my options. I dont wanna contaminate 30 bucks worth of wax in the first dip. I know cats dont require wax but I'm also trying for a yote or fox while I've got to check traps.

Don't do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics. I do appreciate a good story tho.
Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6683144
12/04/19 03:47 PM
12/04/19 03:47 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I know what you mean about a slight residue.I don't think it is a problem.Just go ahead and wax them.Lye and Saniflush are also not a problem.I put a hose in the pot flo overflow oil or old wax,then the drain cleaner goes down the drain.That is what it was made for.

I still think it is questionable whether your wax is contaminated and most of it should be gone anyway.After boiling,I would just wax with the new stuff.Goo luck.

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6683328
12/04/19 06:51 PM
12/04/19 06:51 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline
trapper
jnsff69  Offline
trapper

Up a creek MT
So going on the same topic. I like to reuse my dye water although there seems to be a green growth on it. Its nothing other than water & logwood dye. Any ideas? Is it mold & I have to dump ot before I use it again?

Ya can't miss fur if yur traps are out somewhere.
Or so I've been told.
Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6683377
12/04/19 07:33 PM
12/04/19 07:33 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
2 gallons of vinegar and 2 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket...can fit 6 MB550’s in it. Let it soak for 2 days. Rinse then wax. I had time to leave mine out a little and dyed them then waxed. The vinegar restores them to like new condition...rusted and waxed traps alike.

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6683396
12/04/19 07:47 PM
12/04/19 07:47 PM
Oconee National Forest, GA
T
Trad bow Offline
trapper
Trad bow  Offline
trapper
T

Oconee National Forest, GA
You can use a heat gun that painters use to remove old paint. It should take the wax right off.

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6685375
12/06/19 08:37 PM
12/06/19 08:37 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
When I used to try to remove wax, I used to boil and then put hose water in to flush dirt and old wax off the top of the water. If you’re going to hot wax anyway, waxing over this little Bit of residue won’t hurt anything.

I’ve gotten away from traditional dyeing and waxing. After a season of use, I wash the crud off in soapy water, rinse, let dry, spray paint with the cheapest dark paint I can find. Let dry a few days and dip in Full Metal Jacket as described in the directions.

You’ll get 100 opinions on here telling you this or that. Read them all. Decide how best to use your time and get those traps into the ground. At the end of the season, evaluate your catch rate and see if being traditional vs slick and easy is the better way to go

Never too old to learn
Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: Teacher] #6685509
12/06/19 10:53 PM
12/06/19 10:53 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Originally Posted by Teacher
When I used to try to remove wax, I used to boil and then put hose water in to flush dirt and old wax off the top of the water. If you’re going to hot wax anyway, waxing over this little Bit of residue won’t hurt anything.

I’ve gotten away from traditional dyeing and waxing. After a season of use, I wash the crud off in soapy water, rinse, let dry, spray paint with the cheapest dark paint I can find. Let dry a few days and dip in Full Metal Jacket as described in the directions.

You’ll get 100 opinions on here telling you this or that. Read them all. Decide how best to use your time and get those traps into the ground. At the end of the season, evaluate your catch rate and see if being traditional vs slick and easy is the better way to go

I have painted some traps but not dipped after. Didn't like the painting much. As far as slick and easy I guess that is dependent on how you are set up. I dye and wax every year and I do it all in a day. Big pot of she on one burner and a big pot of wax on another. Dye then straight into wax pot then up to dry. Pretty slick and easy and I don't have to buy paint or dip every year.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: Teacher] #6686004
12/07/19 02:23 PM
12/07/19 02:23 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Teacher

are you doing canine traps with fmj?
thanks

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6687013
12/08/19 02:49 PM
12/08/19 02:49 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Yes. I’m using FMJ on canine traps. But I’m doing it just after the season ends or July—-this is when I have the most time.

Since the traps are buried under dirt or grass, color of trap is less important. I’ve washed and waxed right out of the box and did fairly well. I’ve also done traditional cleaning of old wax, dyeing and waxing. That worked well, too.

My present method above includes flat paint. I try to get it on the jaw face for sure, but if I miss a spot, it’s no big deal. FMJ is fast. Two coats if necessary. I let them dry and toss into open tubs in my basement workshop, aka the junk room. At my age, life is too short to get picky.

Never too old to learn
Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: paradork] #6687986
12/09/19 01:31 PM
12/09/19 01:31 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
what's preventing you from dumping waste OFF the lawn,,,,,a handtruck?.........a partner to carry the other side of the pot?

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: traprjohn] #6688699
12/10/19 06:44 AM
12/10/19 06:44 AM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
I do the light rust, traditional log wood dye, boil, rinse, dry and totally immerse in traditional melted cake wax. Tired of it too. Are the water soluble dips any good/fmj?

Re: Trap clean and wax prep [Re: Backbreaker] #6688746
12/10/19 08:08 AM
12/10/19 08:08 AM
Iowa
K
KJD357 Offline
trapper
KJD357  Offline
trapper
K

Iowa
Originally Posted by Backbreaker
I do the light rust, traditional log wood dye, boil, rinse, dry and totally immerse in traditional melted cake wax. Tired of it too. Are the water soluble dips any good/fmj?

I have tried the fmj, wasn’t impressed on pipe dream sets, dirtholes it was fine, I caught coyotes using it. But the pipe dreams were all dug out and un bedded. Pulled everything boiled and then waxed them, started catching coyotes 2 days later. I bought a dozen mb550 one time that had a water soluble dip on them, was not impressed in the least. I think the best combo for durability that I’ve seen is dipping in 50/50 paint/acetone then let them sit for a good long while and wax two weeks before season

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91