Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: skandic choice [Re: Dean Chapel] #6694403
12/15/19 05:29 PM
12/15/19 05:29 PM
Western MT
M
MThound Offline
trapper
MThound  Offline
trapper
M

Western MT
I have a Skandic 550 SWT and it is a great sled. It has great floatation in deep snow, pulls almost anything, and handles well. It is difficult to get it stuck, but when you do is a tank to get out. I use mine for trapping and hound hunting and am almost always pulling a sled with several hundred pounds in all types of snow conditions. I'm sure you would be happy with either the WT or SWT, but I would lean towards the SWT for the floatation. We can get a lot of snow in a hurry and it can be difficult getting around at times. I also have the wide front skins makes a difference.

Re: skandic choice [Re: Dean Chapel] #6694855
12/16/19 02:12 AM
12/16/19 02:12 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
You will get more traction with a SWT. They seem to be less tippy than a WT also. You can't really make a wrong choice between the two as long as you go with a 4 stroke. One thing to be aware of is they use some tiny wires in the harness that goes thru the steering tower. I had two wires break in mine yesterday. No rub marks were visible on the wire covering as an indicator of trouble.

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Re: skandic choice [Re: Dean Chapel] #6695225
12/16/19 01:46 PM
12/16/19 01:46 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
As I head to retirement and some serious trapping.......the issue of fuel consumption at my area looms largely. Remote area and having to boat or fly in fuel. Would love to have a four stroke but am concerned about the reliance on electrical systems in the fours.
mt

Re: skandic choice [Re: Dean Chapel] #6696268
12/17/19 12:33 PM
12/17/19 12:33 PM
North Pole, Alaska
T
Taiga Offline
trapper
Taiga  Offline
trapper
T

North Pole, Alaska
Mt. I've had my 4 stroke WT out in -35 and it's started fine with the old battery. I changed the battery out this year for the first time in 5 years of owning it. Last year it was a bit weak at -20. The only other issue I have had is the starter going out. Skidoo sells one for 480 bucks but you can get one on ebay for about 45 bucks (I've got a link). It turns the engine over faster and has worked for two seasons now. I also saw a video from doo talk of someone pull starting the 900ace by hand. Amazing but it worked and didn't look like he pulled to hard. Just have to remember to hit the switch to energize the start system....hopefully you have enough juice for that.

All in all I won't go back to a 2 stroke. Love the fuel economy and quiet operation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman