Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: MuddyMike] #6761980
02/07/20 05:32 PM
02/07/20 05:32 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline OP
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline OP
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by MuddyMike
dang that's just cool wish I had trapping conditions like you got and cats for that matter.

This last check wasn't nice. Single digits with the wind chill, and two days before it was 75. I was freezing. But for the most part, i wear a light sweatshirt early in the morning or after dark, and a t-shirt during the day. Worst part is the sun burn haha.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6762388
02/07/20 11:30 PM
02/07/20 11:30 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
Great ride alongs,thank you,enjoy seeing different country.Nice looking cats,they look smaller than the cats we have,just wondering do most of your cats measure out to 36" - 42"?

Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: rick olson] #6765351
02/10/20 01:31 PM
02/10/20 01:31 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by rick olson
Great ride alongs,thank you,enjoy seeing different country.Nice looking cats,they look smaller than the cats we have,just wondering do most of your cats measure out to 36" - 42"?

My smallest cat is 34” and my largest is 43”. Biggest cat I’ve caught down here went 48”.

The spot I just moved too has smaller cats. 34”-38”. I’m not sure if it’s a genetic thing or if it got trapped hard last season and new young cats moved in. If so then recruitment must be really high which is always a good sign. And these cats are smaller but they are some of the best bellies I’ve ever caught. All have 5-6” of clear white bellies at the narrowest part and very dark spots.

[Linked Image]

Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765380
02/10/20 01:51 PM
02/10/20 01:51 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
I’m on my best cat streak ever! Saturday made for 3 checks in a row with at least one cat, and this time I got 2. I pulled my lower traps, and had nothing at the first two stops. Then the 3rd stop was the money spot. First trap was where i caught the big coyote a couple weeks back. Had a huge badger in it.
[Linked Image]

The next trap is where I found a fresh cat turd and caught a fox and badger. This time I had a nice cat!!! Almost missed it with the hind foot catch. (I’ll explain my theory on how you get a hind foot catch in a walkthrough and why it’s not a good thing in my next YouTube video).
[Linked Image]

On my way to the set with the cat I noticed my other walkthrough set about 50 yards away was destroyed. I had a drag on the trap that I pretangled on a bush but noticed nothing jumping around. Grey fox normally don’t move big blocking like that and I couldn’t see a coyote jumping around so I was pretty confident I had another cat. Well i was wrong haha. The coyote was able to untangle the. Drag but tangled up again about 10’ from the set. It was just around the corner sonI couldn’t see it. I thought they would be rubbed up pretty good, but not yet. They are sienging some, but I’ll take it!
[Linked Image]

I finished the rest of that area and got all those traps pulled. Next was time to reset the traps in a new spot. I didn’t find much sign at first but still set the catty locations. 75% of my catches this season have been in catty spots with no sign. I then head a little deeper and find a wash with a lot of turds. They were older and white, but still sign. I make a set then wash up the wash more and notice cat tracks! So I made a few more sets.
[Linked Image]

When I get back to the truck a man approached me. He’s another fellow Nevada cat trapper. We talked a little about trapping and hunting. I needed to hurry and get my sets out before dark, but i love talking and live hunting and trapping so I don’t mind anytime I can’t talk about hunting and trapping. I went to the next spot to set and had a similar experience. No sign but set the catty spots. Then I found two fresh cat turds. I made sure to set it good and will definitely need to set a few more sets in this spot on Tuesday.

Now it was dark and time to check the second half of my traps. I get to the first spot and as I round a corner in a cliff section I notice my blocking is gone and instantly see this....
[Linked Image]

A nice Tom. I remade the set. The other spots were empty. I did forget to mention I caught another fox in the sets i pulled. So I was able to get the desert big 3 in one day. Grey fox, coyote, and bobcat.
[Linked Image]

Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765853
02/10/20 10:02 PM
02/10/20 10:02 PM
Sandhills, NE
C
Colter Benson Offline
trapper
Colter Benson  Offline
trapper
C

Sandhills, NE
So jealous.

[Linked Image]
Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765865
02/10/20 10:10 PM
02/10/20 10:10 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Having a heck of a season. Thanks for taking us along!!

Re: My 2019-2020 Nevada Trapping Journal [Re: Wanna Be] #6766057
02/11/20 01:49 AM
02/11/20 01:49 AM
New Mexico
D
Desertambition Offline
trapper
Desertambition  Offline
trapper
D

New Mexico
It is so awesome that you are having such a great season! Thanks again for sharing!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91