Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Traps froze down [Re: yukonal] #6713820
01/02/20 06:54 AM
01/02/20 06:54 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by yukonal
Here ya go, dude.

Dig your bed a little deep...you'll know how much after you bed a couple traps this way.

Pound in your stake, throw in some loose dirt, and wiggle/push your trap down solid.

Cover with wax dirt/sand, and brush away the pan to show it.

Grab the levers, lift up the trap out of the bed, and twist it back and forth a little bit. THIS ALLOWS THE WAX DIRT TO FALL UNDER EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE TRAP. Under the trap frame, under the jaws, under the levers, UNDER EVERYTHING.

Now, as you are grabbing the levers to twist and push the trap back down into the bed solid, pinch a little more wax dirt/sand under each lever. Twist the trap down into the bed solid.

Cover the rest of the way with wax dirt, expose the pan, pack around the trap solid...bedding it firmly. Add a skim more to cover the pan, and brush the bed out.

Sift a tiny bit of native soil, and/or grass over the bed...and you are done.

This is the BULLET PROOF method of freeze proof bedding with waxed dirt/sand. If you have traps freeze up doing it this way...take up mink trapping...lol laugh

Seriously...it works. One day, one week, one month...your trap will function. Hopes this helps you catch a few.

Yepper!!

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Traps froze down [Re: thedude055] #6713999
01/02/20 11:35 AM
01/02/20 11:35 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

I do use waxed dirt, usually when it snows, until it runs out. I have a small amount left and I will check to see if Johnson's Furs has any remaining. I agree that waxed dirt is maximally effective, as it has given me the best results hands down. I guess I was holding off on using what I have left until the snow kicked in, but that is over and passed it seems. PA no longer gets snow, not real snow that holds from December until March, like we used to. Anyhow, I do appreciate the advice, and I will see if I can get more waxed dirt.
UPDATE: Lucky me, Johnson's Furs has two boxes left with my name on them, so i will have enough to take me through February. I was down to my last bit, enough for two sets. I am so stingy with waxed dirt that I only use it with drag sets, so the trap is pulled free of the waxed dirt and the trap bed is hardly disturbed.

Last edited by PAlltheway; 01/02/20 11:48 AM.
Re: Traps froze down [Re: thedude055] #6714083
01/02/20 12:47 PM
01/02/20 12:47 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline OP
trapper
thedude055  Offline OP
trapper
T

Wyoming
I recently bought a $20 OSTER 18 quart roaster from Walmart. I can fill it up with dirt or sand and put my homemade flake wax in with it and get waxed dirt or sand in 10-15 minutes. Seems about three batches fills up a five gallon bucket. I do not fill i tall the way up so it is a little easier to stir. I can make 5 gallons of wax dirt in less than an hour if i had flake wax. It took me a little bit of time but not an hour to run all of the block wax i had through a cheese grater to make it melt easy. Very simple and cheap way to make wax dirt.

Next batch i make i will post a few pics or maybe go full on highspeed and post a video. Super easy.

Last edited by thedude055; 01/02/20 12:51 PM.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Traps froze down [Re: thedude055] #6714126
01/02/20 01:19 PM
01/02/20 01:19 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by thedude055
I recently bought a $20 OSTER 18 quart roaster from Walmart. I can fill it up with dirt or sand and put my homemade flake wax in with it and get waxed dirt or sand in 10-15 minutes. Seems about three batches fills up a five gallon bucket. I do not fill i tall the way up so it is a little easier to stir. I can make 5 gallons of wax dirt in less than an hour if i had flake wax. It took me a little bit of time but not an hour to run all of the block wax i had through a cheese grater to make it melt easy. Very simple and cheap way to make wax dirt.

Next batch i make i will post a few pics or maybe go full on highspeed and post a video. Super easy.

I'd like to see this, thanks. Friends of mine make their own waxed dirt, but it is a huge process and I do not have that kind of time. What you are describing sounds easier and fast.

Re: Traps froze down [Re: thedude055] #6715662
01/03/20 09:31 PM
01/03/20 09:31 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Waxed dirt is the way to keep rolling in spite of Ma Nature!

Re: Traps froze down [Re: thedude055] #6716007
01/04/20 06:18 AM
01/04/20 06:18 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
People I know that have switched to making wax dirt do it to save $, not b/c it's fast. I don't doubt there's some folks that have found a way to make it quick. For a lot of people the entire process is rewarding but tedious.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91