Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: Pawnee] #6677417
11/27/19 09:17 PM
11/27/19 09:17 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Trapjohn I’m not a body grip guy. What does “opening the trigger yoke” do to help trap performance?

It starts pushing up the trigger quicker with less trigger travel. In other words, by having them tapped out further, it takes less trigger travel to push them off the jaws.

Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: lumberjack391] #6677574
11/27/19 10:30 PM
11/27/19 10:30 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Trapjohn I’m not a body grip guy. What does “opening the trigger yoke” do to help trap performance?

It starts pushing up the trigger quicker with less trigger travel. In other words, by having them tapped out further, it takes less trigger travel to push them off the jaws.

yep, it makes the yoke trip the dog a bit quicker.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: traprjohn] #6677784
11/28/19 08:06 AM
11/28/19 08:06 AM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper
What size file do I need to get?

just measure it
I think mine needed 9/32"
after measuring, look at chain saw files

Thanks you. I started out with square file. I worked a few over. They work good now. I can tell a big difference now. Going to go get a round file asap. Thanks again.

Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6714145
01/02/20 01:29 PM
01/02/20 01:29 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I feel It's more important to tune up your BGs then It Is to tune your foot holds. And very few trappers tune their BGs.
I've had BGs where the trigger wires were laying flat and the trap was still set and who knows how many critters passed through that trap.

Last edited by The Beav; 01/02/20 01:32 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6714338
01/02/20 04:55 PM
01/02/20 04:55 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
I have a small collection of BG's representing about 4 or 5 brands. The smallest of the small up to 220's. With the exception of the Dukes.....all of them have crisp, sensitive triggers right out of the box. One Duke 110......the triggers had so much slop the trigger wires would flop back and forth over a 2" arc before it would fire. The dog started out seated solid, but as the trigger wires started to move, the dog kept rising....and rising.....and rising.....and trap had still not fired. You could pre-set it, but then the triggers would flop back and forth.

As I studied the traps that worked well, a common theme stood out. When set, the position of the dog was such that the dog had just barely enough meat left to grip the striker bars without firing. A hair's breath, but just enough......and while doing that.....it was seated solid in the trigger clip/bracket. So the moment the triggers move, the trigger bracket starts to rotate and that in turn pries the dog up, dog loses it's grip and fires. The amount of whisker movement on most all of them, except the Duke, is about 1/2" or less for the 110/120 size. Again, the dog has just barely enough grip on the striker bar to remain set without firing.

So where does the Duke go wrong? The notch in the trigger clip is too deep, allowing too much grip on the bar. I tried the nail trick and no joy. Did not help much. What did help, and what proved to be a super easy fix, was to put the trigger clip in a vice and tap down on the tops to flatten them out some. What was a tall skinny oval now is a rounder oval. That lowers the tops of the trigger clip and in doing so, raises the notch in the trigger clip, reducing the amount of grip the dog has on the striker bar. Go too far and the trap won't stay set at all. So go easy on this.....a couple gentle taps and test fire it. Easier to take it in one direction than to overdo it and try to get the deep oval back.

Filing the dog's notch deeper would not help. ALL the traps already had a deeper notch in the dog than needed. Even when seated as deep in the trigger clip notch as they will go, none of the notches on the dogs bottom out on the bar......all are already showing daylight. The dog only goes down as far as the trigger clip's notch allows.

Good traps get this notch depth adjustment right out of the box. The Dukes..........not so much.

Last edited by HayDay; 01/03/20 03:02 PM.
Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6714360
01/02/20 05:17 PM
01/02/20 05:17 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Hayday’s post is worth reading a couple times. Mashing the trigger is the way to go in my opinion. With just a little practice, sloppy 2 way triggers can be turned into much crisper triggers that will fire from all 4 directions. When I fixed mine, I used a vise. If I ever buy any traps that need to be modified again, I will probably try visegrips first to do the same thing, only hoping to do that same thing with more consistency.

Re: Conibear trigger problem. [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6714410
01/02/20 06:09 PM
01/02/20 06:09 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Standard Vicegrip pliers might be just the ticket to smash the clip down. Start out with em doing nothing, then half turn at a time.....first one side, then the other. Keep test firing until you get it just right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91