Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Struggling with dog proofs [Re: HayDay] #6715327
01/03/20 03:16 PM
01/03/20 03:16 PM
Missouri
G
Guthrie Offline OP
trapper
Guthrie  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Originally Posted by HayDay
To the OP, when did you start setting your traps? Two weeks ago would have been in Mid Dec?

I'm also in MO, and as I recall, about 2 weeks ago we had about 8" of snow and temps dropped to single digits? Coon activity around here slowed to a crawl during that and has not recovered.

Well I didn't have time to start trapping hardcore until about the start of December. Before that the farm just took up to much time. The temps have been fairly warm for this time of year and I missed out of most of the major snow.

Also the traps I am using are Coon Daggers.

Always buying Coon Dagger traps
Re: Struggling with dog proofs [Re: Guthrie] #6716591
01/04/20 05:57 PM
01/04/20 05:57 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Not sure what part of Mo you are from. If your wi yet is mild like ours.
Find fresh coon tracks if your near creeks rivers or streams you should be able to find coon “tracks” very easy. Set DP right in their tracks and set multiple traps right in their tracks. Separate them so they don’t fight one another. If your near good bedding areas timber, rock bluffs, sink holes again you may not find tracks but you should see their toilets set right on the sign again set multiple traps.
For example a farmer friend asked me to trap coon out of his barn I didn’t have much time but I set 8 DP and caught two coon. If I set 1 trap most I would have caught would have been 1 coon. Most I could have caught would have been 8. Sometimes you get lucky and hit several in one spot.
Scout out sign and set on sign. I use cat food mixed with dry cool aid, vanilla and anise and squirt some fish oil around the trap. Boar coon will come to “GLand” lure about any I have used. I put some on a small stick or bush very close to the traps “it works”. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91