Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote problem? Problem is me? #6721247
01/08/20 05:04 PM
01/08/20 05:04 PM
Ct
H
Highbawl10 Offline OP
trapper
Highbawl10  Offline OP
trapper
H

Ct
I’m new here so I’ll say hello, i want to start by providing a bit of background. I have been trapping for 4 years. Well taking it seriously for 4 years and I want to discuss issues I’m having on my coyote line. I run fully modified victor #3 soft catches and mb 650 rubber jaw traps. Mostly a dirt hole set with screen pan covers and wax dirt bedded with the dog to the hole. (Over the jaw I believe it’s called). I’ve used every bait and lure that is available and used home made taint out of various critters. I’m in New England and we have to use padded traps for ground sets and only get 2 months to catch. I’ve had all the problems everyone else has and more I’m sure but there are a few things that I can’t seem to overcome. First problem is issue number 1 : avoidance. With a short season starting in December I usually start to run my line mid November, making dirt holes and filling them with bait but not placing the trap yet. Those holes will get destroyed almost highly by all kinds of coyote cats and fox. Most times I even put a scoop of wax dirt right where the traps going to go just to get them more comfortable. As soon as I bed a trap I get avoidance. They might come back and check it out but nowhere near the level of commitment they showed just days before. Going off advice from an old timer who says my traps were dirty I have since cleaned them, again. Boiled out in logwood dried and then waxed. Still same issue. I’ll get mild interest and even a few catches. 6 catches so far this year. Which is horrible for my own standard. So over thinking everything as I normally do, I have asked my only fellow coyote trapper I know for some help. He uses a leaf for a pan cover and peat moss with the trap bedded levers to the hole. (Through the jaws). And he has caught 27 coyotes this season. I’ve tried his method of placing a trap through the jaws with wax dirt and screen pan covers and though I still have issue #1 avoidance, whenever that set does go off the coyote has pulled out leaving only a small bit of fur in the jaws. I’m not sure if anyone can tell me about their sets or similar problems but overall I guess I’d like some advice on how they are detecting my trap. I’m looking for honest advice and have thick skin so please give it to me strait. Thanks for reading

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721267
01/08/20 05:23 PM
01/08/20 05:23 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
4 pounds pan tension, quit pre baiting and get rid of the screen and use polyfill under the pan. That is just my suggestion, do with it what you will. Also make set and stay away when you check. Rebait every 7 days is only time to go near trap unless you have a catch.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721284
01/08/20 05:38 PM
01/08/20 05:38 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Is it possible your wax dirt is contaminated? How often do you walk up on your sets? Are you trapping in snow?

Pure Blood
Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721345
01/08/20 06:50 PM
01/08/20 06:50 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Do what Strike2x says....

Also I would guess that adding and bedding a trap drastically increases your time at the set. I would peg that for avoidance far more than trap coating or dirt.

Try making sets without overanalyzing everything. Just make it well and fast and walk away. That has helped me.

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721378
01/08/20 07:04 PM
01/08/20 07:04 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
I wonder if your wax is/was contaminated. When you say you had 6 catches so far, what were they? How many traps are you running? Are you sure they are approaching your set and then turning away or are they no longer in the area? Is someone trapping near by and catching animals you are targeting? All kinds of issues may be happening or maybe nothing is wrong and you are catching what is available for your area and the amount of traps you have out.

Last edited by Machias; 01/08/20 07:05 PM.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721451
01/08/20 08:21 PM
01/08/20 08:21 PM
Ct
H
Highbawl10 Offline OP
trapper
Highbawl10  Offline OP
trapper
H

Ct
I’ve caught 6 coyotes 2 reds and 3 bobcats this year since December 1. I’ve also had bout 6 honest pull outs where there was fur in the jaws an impression in the rubber jaws. I’m running 7 locations with roughly 30 traps. I make my own wax dirt with a cement mixer. I do dry the dirt in my basement this time of year... but I can’t get away with out it. These freeze thaw conditions I deal with, nothin else works. What’s the reason for poly fil over screens? Just wondering?

My spots I trap is on some of the only farm land left in Connecticut , it’s loaded with coyotes and bobcats. Trappers are out there I realize but I get so excited bout fresh snow at night only to see tracks walk within yards of my sets and continue on their way never seeming to break stride let alone work the sets.

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721469
01/08/20 08:33 PM
01/08/20 08:33 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Snow can make the best trapper humble. Nobody will catch every coyote that walks by. I use polyfill because the fine presifted waxed dirt will run through the screen and under the pan. Polyfill keeps all dirt from under the trap. In some condition when bedding a trap if you twist it to set it solid sand or dirt can come up from bottom the polyfill will prevent this. It is cheap, easy and light.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721515
01/08/20 08:57 PM
01/08/20 08:57 PM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline
trapper
P

NE
Is scent really that big of a issue? I mean I do my best with it, but it's really hard to do all the time. I know guys set with bare hands and they always got coyotes in back of there truck

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721526
01/08/20 09:07 PM
01/08/20 09:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Don’t feel bad. Caught a coyote and pulled that trap due to the mud hole catch circle. Set outside and had another trap across the road. That sucker has been by for the last 3-4 nights according to the camera and is getting close but just hasn’t hit the right spot yet, lol.
It’ll happen eventually. I do know after the next catch I’m gonna lay the dead coyote right next to where I’m going to reset. That joker visits that spot on the field on every trip (manicured planted plots and don’t want another huge muddy mess) I’ll wait him out.

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721599
01/08/20 09:56 PM
01/08/20 09:56 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
30 traps in 7 locations. That averages 4 traps per location, possibly meaning you are spending too much time around your traps.

Your pre-baited holes worked better than re-used holes. Stop pre-baiting. Hopefully you are using low backings that coyote can easily see over.

Too much pan cover can cause pull-outs.

Screen pan covers need to be 1/8" mesh or less. They can extend 1/4" over top of side trap jaws if they are flexible enough as to not slow trap closing.

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6721637
01/08/20 10:28 PM
01/08/20 10:28 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Check your PM box

Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: strike2x] #6721716
01/08/20 11:48 PM
01/08/20 11:48 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by strike2x
Snow can make the best trapper humble. Nobody will catch every coyote that walks by. I use polyfill because the fine presifted waxed dirt will run through the screen and under the pan. Polyfill keeps all dirt from under the trap. In some condition when bedding a trap if you twist it to set it solid sand or dirt can come up from bottom the polyfill will prevent this. It is cheap, easy and light.

How do you keep the poly fil from freezing? I know a guy here that quit using it b/c his trap didn't fire when a bobcat stepped on the pan & he blamed it on frozen polyfil.
I suppose polyfil could efffect pan tension, tho probably insignificantly.

Last edited by AJE; 01/08/20 11:58 PM.
Re: Coyote problem? Problem is me? [Re: Highbawl10] #6722452
01/09/20 04:48 PM
01/09/20 04:48 PM
Ct
H
Highbawl10 Offline OP
trapper
Highbawl10  Offline OP
trapper
H

Ct
I’ve run poly fil pads before. I liked em cuz they seem to eliminate anything from getting under the pan as you said. I believe I went with screens only because I’d keep finding screens around catch circles. Maybe I convinced myself the screens were producing at the time. I can’t recall but to Answer above question if you bed in wax dirt nothing in your set gets wet, so nothing will freeze.

Today’s check... nothin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91