Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Pipe Dream Question? #6725981
01/12/20 12:25 PM
01/12/20 12:25 PM
Buggs Island, Va
lonewolf308 Offline OP
trapper
lonewolf308  Offline OP
trapper

Buggs Island, Va
So I came into the trapping season a little unprepared and now I'm paying for it. First week of coyote trapping was 50/50 rain with week 2 looking like a total washout. I'm pulling traps tomorrow and resetting with the "pipe dream" approach. My question is the pipe is suppose to have holes below the lure near the ground. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the holes above the lure so that the water never reaches it? Also the description is vertical slightly bent towards trap. Would a steeper angle towards the trap be better for not collecting rain? Just some info on your process would be appreciated. Not worried about the bedding freezing here isn't often and I have some antifreeze solution. I know it's a waiting game but I'd feel better with my sets not getting washed out every other day.

VTA member
Re: Pipe Dream Question? [Re: lonewolf308] #6725992
01/12/20 12:36 PM
01/12/20 12:36 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
The Pipe Dream set is all about the bedding more than the pipe itself.
I don’t drill any holes in the pipe, useless when the entire ground is saturated anyways. I don’t pound it straight down, more angled towards the trap. Regardless if it fills up with water, that smell is still there. After a serious storm I’ll wait a day or two and rebait/lure. That gives the water time to soak on down. I want that pipe to be gnawed on and attempted to be pulled out of the ground.

Re: Pipe Dream Question? [Re: lonewolf308] #6726062
01/12/20 02:02 PM
01/12/20 02:02 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Like Wanna Be said, it's not about the pipe. It's about your trap being suspended by the levers with an airspace under the trap so rain and moisture can pass through the screen pan cover and fall below the trap without freezing it in. The screen and trap are covered with chopped hay or grass instead of dirt. Salt can be sprinkled on top for antifreeze.

http://www.coyoteu.com/pipe-dream-set.html

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Pipe Dream Question? [Re: lonewolf308] #6726073
01/12/20 02:10 PM
01/12/20 02:10 PM
Buggs Island, Va
lonewolf308 Offline OP
trapper
lonewolf308  Offline OP
trapper

Buggs Island, Va
I appreciate the comments I was more focused on the pipe aspect seeing that every other way I've seen involves putting lure into a dirt hole which always gets soaked. I see it as a whole now and probably would need to bed my traps the same to truly be water resistant.

VTA member
Re: Pipe Dream Question? [Re: lonewolf308] #6726303
01/12/20 05:28 PM
01/12/20 05:28 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
No drain holes drilled....though I have several that still have it. Can't hurt on a few, but I found getting hundreds ready for the season that its an easy step to skip!

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91