Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6724006
01/10/20 09:45 PM
01/10/20 09:45 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
Way to go!!!

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6724114
01/10/20 11:04 PM
01/10/20 11:04 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
congratulations on the first wolf looks like a pretty one too

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6724145
01/10/20 11:45 PM
01/10/20 11:45 PM
AK
B
Bushwhack Jack Offline
trapper
Bushwhack Jack  Offline
trapper
B

AK
Beautiful Silver Fox. I got a kick out of your pictures of the weasels in the foot traps. Reminds me of one time I was at my cabin and this little weasel kept climbing on my front porch and stealing my fishing and trapping bait on my front porch (rabbits and whitefish). I set #4 victor foothold (because that was all I had) on the front porch in front of my bait. In the middle of the night I heard some noise going on at the front porch. I came out and saw that little weasel hopping up and down on top of that foot trap. He wouldn't even set it off. I finally ended up shooting the sucker with a .22, but those little buggers sure are bold.

Last edited by Bushwhack Jack; 01/10/20 11:45 PM.
Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6724231
01/11/20 01:32 AM
01/11/20 01:32 AM
Alaska
T. Meyer Offline
trapper
T. Meyer  Offline
trapper

Alaska
Congrats on your first wolf bfisch, well done.

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: Bushwhack Jack] #6724744
01/11/20 03:09 PM
01/11/20 03:09 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Thanks everyone! I am gonna make a couple more sets next time I go out, but will see what happens as there is only one pack of 6 now 5 that goes through my area.

Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack
I got a kick out of your pictures of the weasels in the foot traps. Reminds me of one time I was at my cabin and this little weasel kept climbing on my front porch and stealing my fishing and trapping bait on my front porch (rabbits and whitefish). I set #4 victor foothold (because that was all I had) on the front porch in front of my bait. In the middle of the night I heard some noise going on at the front porch. I came out and saw that little weasel hopping up and down on top of that foot trap. He wouldn't even set it off. I finally ended up shooting the sucker with a .22, but those little buggers sure are bold.

Good story! The weasels can be a nuisance at times. I haven't had one in my porch yet but two years ago I had two buck mink about a month apart stealing bait and fish from my porch. A lot of mink that year. I set 1 longs for them and I caught them, but my porch sure stunk like mink.

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6726918
01/13/20 01:39 AM
01/13/20 01:39 AM
Southeast, AK
R
rosscoak Offline
trapper
rosscoak  Offline
trapper
R

Southeast, AK
Great job
That last snare!
The Ata wolf manual is gold, and I learn something new every time I look it over.
Now you are hooked!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6730035
01/15/20 04:17 PM
01/15/20 04:17 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Went out two days ago. It was a gray, blind day and with two inches of fresh powder I had a hard time seeing the trail at times. No tracks in the fresh snow, so I guess everything moved beforehand. Had a lynx follow my trail to my marten pole and get caught in a snare. Little guy. Seems to be a few kittens this year, but we will see what happens as I think our hare population is going down.

[Linked Image]

The rest of the line was empty til the last couple traps and the wolves hadn't come back through. Last time I was out, I had a marten take the bait off the last two poles. The first pole the trap was not set off and the second trap was set off. However, this second trap I think was going off by itself. When I initially set it, it went off before I walked away. I reset it and on the next check it was set off and the bait untouched. So two sets bait gone and no catch. I was also getting a load of wood that trip and replaced the one trap with another more reliable one and rebaited it. The other trap was still set, but in the midst of switching gears to getting wood, I forgot to rebait the other pole. I guess I didn't need bait as it held a really small female marten. So small that when I was driving up I though I had caught a marten tail and the marten had taken off.

[Linked Image]

The last rap of the day held a good sized male marten at least twice as heavy as the other.

[Linked Image]

Overall it was a productive day!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6730945
01/16/20 09:42 AM
01/16/20 09:42 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Nice lynx and marten keep up the good work !
Allan

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6731269
01/16/20 03:35 PM
01/16/20 03:35 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Some nice fur! I had a few 120's that seemed to always fire after I had set them, I had to file the triggers to get them to work right, except for one, That dang thing messed with me for a week before I finally tossed it in the parts bin smile Hope the wolves come back through for you!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6731911
01/17/20 04:20 AM
01/17/20 04:20 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Set out this morning with plans to check the line and then extend it another couple miles. So I packed my chainsaw and was ready to walk and cut. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. . .

Not far down my trail I saw fresh mink tracks. He was zigzagging all over the place, but generally going in the direction of some 220's I have set for mink and otter. Sure enough! He was headed into the same hole I had caught an otter and a mink in earlier this season.

[Linked Image]

Have a small bait station on the end of a grass lake that produced its third catch of the season. Nice and red but the smallest fox I have seen all year.

[Linked Image]

Passed by half my wolf snares and a couple urine post sets with no wolf sign when suddenly at the end of a lake as I enter a portage there is a set of big wolf tracks on my snow machine trail. Last time they past through this area they went around the lynx set that I have a trail camera on but this guy didn't want to get off the trail. Unfortunately, I checked the camera and a couple batteries were loose. No pictures of him checking out the lynx set or passing by. He almost went for it but kinda glad he didn't as he probably would have wrecked the trap and got away wiser.

[Linked Image]

So he didn't get pinched but he exited the trail the same place he did last time and that was his last mistake. I remember setting this snare thinking, "This is goofy. The wolf had to practically crawl to get under these spruce branches when he went through. He won't do it again." Glad I was wrong and just goes to show that a snare in an unlikely spot is still better than in the bag. Or maybe that wolf just liked to crawl?

91 lb male

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I was excited and had half the wolf gear left to check. Further down 3-4 wolves (all part of the same pack I've been working on) were going down the main trail. I passed a few empty snares and the wolves were not going off the trail where they had before, but I had added a set since catching the first one, a urine post, and it was just too much for this young 75 lb female. She had a full paw in the mb 750.

[Linked Image]

I was just telling my wife yesterday, "It's a good thing I don't catch wolves everyday. They are a lot of work!" Well, I skinned out the one from the trap this evening and I learned it is much easier to skin a young fresh wolf than an older one that has been frozen. More work tomorrow, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I ran out of time and never did cut any new trail. Sometimes the best laid plans. . .

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6731935
01/17/20 06:35 AM
01/17/20 06:35 AM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Good job, thanks for showing.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6732396
01/17/20 01:16 PM
01/17/20 01:16 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
That is totally awesome and congrats!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6732461
01/17/20 02:29 PM
01/17/20 02:29 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
Fantastic job, great pictures and story!!

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6732528
01/17/20 03:25 PM
01/17/20 03:25 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
Sounds like a much better day catching animals than cutting new trail wink

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6733591
01/18/20 03:36 AM
01/18/20 03:36 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Good deal!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: broncoformudv] #6735978
01/19/20 03:29 PM
01/19/20 03:29 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
My pleasure to share with you all!

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Sounds like a much better day catching animals than cutting new trail wink

Agreed! If it would keep going like this I would be happy to not extend the line.

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6738142
01/21/20 02:52 AM
01/21/20 02:52 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Traps were pretty empty today, so I had time to make some new trail. It did not go as fast as I planned and the area was not quite what I expected. Google maps doesn't show you everything! Also had time to cut and haul a sleigh load of firewood. Didn't even take my camera out once.

Did catch a rabbit in a lynx cubby. It was quite fresh, but the head was gone and the entrails placed neatly on the ground. I was confused as to what exactly happened. Fortunately, this particular set had a trail camera on it. I remade the set and pulled the camera.

Looks like Mr. Owl found a good meal!

[Linked Image]

Looking through the other videos on the trail camera I was able to see what I have been missing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First time seeing wolverine on the line! Didn't even know he came by as his tracks must have got covered. Still not sure why he didn't take the bait???

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6738638
01/21/20 01:53 PM
01/21/20 01:53 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I love seeing those big owls! I had one here at the house a few years back, that joker all but wiped out my flock of chickens and ducks. I noticed I was missing a chicken, then a duck, then another chicken.....but there were no track around the coop, no bloody mess, nothing, Then we had a fresh snow and sure enough you could see the wing imprints in the snow! Had to put up netting to protect my critters and he moved on.
That is a good looking wolverine! Hope you get some gear out there for it and that you connect!

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6743388
01/25/20 02:16 AM
01/25/20 02:16 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Headed out on the line yesterday. I made it about 3 miles out and I noticed I was sitting real low on the machine. A spring support broke so I turned around and gently made my way home as to not cause undo stress on any other part of the machine. Funny thing is I just helped my buddy replace his spring supports three days ago and he had the parts I needed to fix it (for now). I got a new one and an extra coming in the mail. It wasn't long and I was back out checking the first half of the line. Nothing in the traps, but I did make another marten pole and set a 330 for the wolverine. It was getting dark so the other half had to wait until today.

Much cooler today. Yesterday was -15 and this morning was -37. According to the forecast it is not supposed to get warmer for awhile. So dressed warm and headed out with plans to get a load of firewood after checking traps.

Saw some fresh fox and lynx sign. Wolves also passed through this side of the line for the second time this season. Didn't have any gear waiting for them, but have plans to bring some next time I go out. I wonder if they will be on this side more because they don't like the other side of the line anymore.

Picked up a lynx in the same cubby I caught a marten in before.

[Linked Image]

It was nice to work on wood before the ride back. It warmed me up and with the sun out it felt much warmer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap Check After Cold Spell [Re: bfisch] #6743403
01/25/20 04:04 AM
01/25/20 04:04 AM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Good looking kitty!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6