Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Post fleshing knife #6718345
01/06/20 11:06 AM
01/06/20 11:06 AM
North Jersey
T
TrapprChris Offline OP
trapper
TrapprChris  Offline OP
trapper
T

North Jersey
3 of us all have post 2 handed knives. We can’t agree does the bevel on the sharp side go up or down? Whose right?? Lol

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6718365
01/06/20 11:22 AM
01/06/20 11:22 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Bevel Is always up. The bevel acts just like a snow plow and rolls the flesh and fat away from the knife. And with the bevel up will allow you to flatten your knife more as your making your initial cut. And a flat blade doesn't make unwanted cuts In your hides.
If you look at a wood plane blade you will always find the bevel to be up. If the bevel would be down you would never remove any wood.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6720624
01/08/20 07:26 AM
01/08/20 07:26 AM
OH
H
HiddenOaks Offline
trapper
HiddenOaks  Offline
trapper
H

OH
Bevel up like Beav said

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6720990
01/08/20 12:58 PM
01/08/20 12:58 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
Funny thing i had this discussion with my wife the night before last. I informed her that the bevel goes up after she was halfway through a coon. I got the look. So I use it bevel up and she bevel down? There is no correct answer in my situation lol.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6722437
01/09/20 04:26 PM
01/09/20 04:26 PM
iowa
N
nimrod Offline
trapper
nimrod  Offline
trapper
N

iowa
Gotta agree with thedude. The right way is the way you're used to. The wood plane is not a great example as the sole of the plane is limiting the depth of cut. A better wood working analogy would be a chisel, which is used bevel down. although admittedly not the best example either.

I am aware of some very experienced trappers that instruct to flesh with the bevel down. Like a lot of things in this business, the right way is the way that works for you. Try it both ways and make your own decision.

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6723439
01/10/20 12:51 PM
01/10/20 12:51 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
It's all about the angle just like I said and In my opinion you can't get the right angle with the bevel down. Like I said with the bevel down you have to raise the knife to make the cut and In doing so the angle become more acute and that will get you more cuts In the hide.
Most guys want to push everything off and the knife ends up just about vertical when doing It. It's like scraping bark off a tree. This Is going to make things harder and your going to end up with more damage. What you want to do Is keep your knife just about flat and do more of a slicing motion as you push. And you can't do that with the bevel down.

The back of your knife acts just like the flat base of the plane. It keeps you knife flat to the hide. And the more base the better depth control you have. With the bevel down you have very little base or none at all. With bevel up you have about 1inch + well that's on a necker some knives will give you more.

But do what ever trips your trigger.

And I've posted this before Take a good file and square up the dull side of your knife. After awhile that dull side gets to where the edges are rounded off and will just roll right over that fat and make the job a lot harder.

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6723475
01/10/20 01:29 PM
01/10/20 01:29 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
It took me about three coon to get the angle right and the motion correct to be properly fleshing a hide. My old knife could not remove the tough area behind the back of the neck period. I would sit with my havalon or my filet knife and take it off piece by piece. Grueling and frustrating. Just having a good flesher now mine happens to be a post was great from the get go but the night before last i finally got everything right and could just take stripes off without any damage. To be honest i was happier than most of my first catches i have made with myself. The difference is night and day. There are so many things involved in it that it is surprising. Angle of knife angle of beam roundness of beam is beam sturdy or wobbly what is comfortable for you for more than 5 mintues. Temp of room and hide. Size of animal. I can do an xl-2xl coon in 5 minutes at the most but a big bore is a complete different story and where i struggled. Lastly and most importantly was the angle of motion with the knife in direct relation to the pressure applied. If you light foot it like you are scared the hide will move and be kind of sticky to the blade. But a confident firm stroke with the correct sideways angle and vwalla a perfect 1.5" wide stripe of gristle and fat however long you roll with it.

Like i said before bevel up for me like The Beav says.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6723562
01/10/20 03:08 PM
01/10/20 03:08 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
My learning curve was pretty short because I was taught by some of the best fur handlers In the business. Nothing like hands on learning.

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6728404
01/14/20 07:42 AM
01/14/20 07:42 AM
South Central Nebraska age 71
tmrschessie Offline
trapper
tmrschessie  Offline
trapper

South Central Nebraska age 71
I have used the Post Fleshing Knives for years. Was a dealer of them for several also. Like Beav says Bevel UP. Lay the knife flat and raise slightly. Make a slicing cut across the grizzle if it cuts it off your angle is pretty well set, if not raise slightly and slice again, till you get the angle you need. I have processed several hundred coon not to mention coyotes badger beaver etc...Hard to beat a good knife made with good steel.

Re: Post fleshing knife [Re: TrapprChris] #6732108
01/17/20 09:40 AM
01/17/20 09:40 AM
Kansas
C
cutmjack Offline
trapper
cutmjack  Offline
trapper
C

Kansas
Tried every knife available when I started finishing fur 10 years or so ago. Necker was worthless, until I sharpened the sharp edge which wasn't when I received it. Turned into pretty good knife. Used Caribou, Lee's and Post and ended up with Post. All worked well once you got touch and feel of each knife down, just a matter of personal preference. One common denominator on all was bevel up for me and sharper than sharp made life easier.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread