Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728845
01/14/20 03:48 PM
01/14/20 03:48 PM

R
Rubee
Unregistered
Rubee
Unregistered
R

You might be right canebrake but seems like the bridger#3 offset has quite a gap.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728847
01/14/20 03:50 PM
01/14/20 03:50 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
I have offsets for coyote/canine traps and standard for others. I like the higher lever on a catch with the offsets on coyotes. I do not know for a fact that it makes a difference but the science of it makes it logical to me anyways. I do notice more damage on non target animals like coon though in those sets. The ability to move the paw or leg back and forth with the jaws fully locked seems to cause damage on front foot catches on coons. I don't really like that part of them. With lamination though that would eliminate that. I may laminate some and see what i think.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728854
01/14/20 03:59 PM
01/14/20 03:59 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I have had good luck with several different traps with offsets.I especially like the lockup of the MB550.The 650 isn't bad either.If I were getting toe catches,I would be doing some trouble shooting.I have yet to get anything but above pad catches with these traps and zero pullouts.

Talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned that a trapper can make about any trap work if he gets used to it and learn it's characteristics and how to work with them.Use what suits your way of doing things.I agree with him,100%.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728924
01/14/20 05:20 PM
01/14/20 05:20 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned that a trapper can make about any trap work if he gets used to it and learn it's characteristics and how to work with them.Use what suits your way of doing things.I agree with him,100%.

me to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes sir, the animals foot is supposed to hold the offset open. That offset allows the side of the jaws to close further though and that allows the spring lever to come up higher, and the mechanical advantage holds the foot tighter. The wing nuts writing trap laws that require offsets are of the impression they hold less tight. That was never the purpose.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728926
01/14/20 05:23 PM
01/14/20 05:23 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
when i have a pullout with a 3 size trap and an offset its a front foot on a coon most of the time. which im fine with. fox coyotes and cats are not going anyplace

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: coyote trap question [Re: Yes sir] #6728973
01/14/20 06:14 PM
01/14/20 06:14 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Is there any advantage to offset other than allowing levers to come a little higher? To my way of thinking unless the non-offset parts of an offset jaws are touching during a catch the offset jaws would be applying the same amount of pressure to the foot as a closed jaw trap... if that makes any sense. And from what I've seen from a good catch on a coyote the offset jaws are applying full force and aren't touching jaw to jaw. But maybe I'm missing something.

Offset traps are fully closed when animal is captured, like a hand cuff. Escape is not really an issue with proper pan tension. A traditional trap without offset can't close all the way cause there's a foot in there. More likely to find a toenail and/or pad in there with animal gone.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6728980
01/14/20 06:21 PM
01/14/20 06:21 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
[Linked Image]

look under the lever. you can see the jaws are not touching. close but not quite. thats an original bridger before mtp bought them out and it is offset

pan tension has nothing to do with anything unless you have to much or so little the trap wont stay set. what you want is a fast closing trap.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: Backbreaker] #6729020
01/14/20 06:54 PM
01/14/20 06:54 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Backbreaker
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Is there any advantage to offset other than allowing levers to come a little higher? To my way of thinking unless the non-offset parts of an offset jaws are touching during a catch the offset jaws would be applying the same amount of pressure to the foot as a closed jaw trap... if that makes any sense. And from what I've seen from a good catch on a coyote the offset jaws are applying full force and aren't touching jaw to jaw. But maybe I'm missing something.

Offset traps are fully closed when animal is captured, like a hand cuff. Escape is not really an issue with proper pan tension. A traditional trap without offset can't close all the way cause there's a foot in there. More likely to find a toenail and/or pad in there with animal gone.

Thanks Backbreaker
I knew there was something I was missing. I just need bigger offsets on my coyote traps. How big of offsets do u guys run on coyote traps for full closure on coyotes but not have them pull out. My factory offsets
don't seem to have enough clearance.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6729045
01/14/20 07:09 PM
01/14/20 07:09 PM
southeast nh
M
mushfoot Offline
trapper
mushfoot  Offline
trapper
M

southeast nh
offset

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6729079
01/14/20 07:42 PM
01/14/20 07:42 PM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline
trapper
P

NE
I had 2 pullouts today. Both #3 Bridger offsets laminated. Couldn't make out what it was. Tore up area really good. My guess and hope is just a coon

Re: coyote trap question [Re: danny clifton] #6729112
01/14/20 08:10 PM
01/14/20 08:10 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
[Linked Image]

look under the lever. you can see the jaws are not touching. close but not quite. thats an original bridger before mtp bought them out and it is offset

pan tension has nothing to do with anything unless you have to much or so little the trap wont stay set. what you want is a fast closing trap.

What you want is the trap going off all at once. Speed is probably close to the same on all bigger traps. Your cats paw is close to the pan because the pan give way all at once, not because of speed. It's almost on the pan.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: Taximan] #6729130
01/14/20 08:33 PM
01/14/20 08:33 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapper1989 Offline
trapper
patrapper1989  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
[quote=Taximan]If I were getting toe catches,I would be doing some trouble shooting.I have yet to get anything but above pad catches with these traps and zero pullouts.

Great traps, I use regular jaw and get the same results but anyone with a hard crust of snow overnight will eventually experience an occasional toe catch. Regular jaw theyre waiting for you in them traps. Offset not so much but just my opinion through my experiences.

Re: coyote trap question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6729170
01/14/20 09:07 PM
01/14/20 09:07 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by strike2x
[quote=The Beav]Non offset. You ever see how far open a offset jawed trap becomes when you get a stone or dirt clod trapped between the jaws?

I read what he said as a closed jaw trap will be less open than an offset trap if a dirt clod or rock gets stuck

I use MB 550s. The only spot on the jaw that isn't offset is the 2 jobs on each has. If a good or small stone were to get in my trap for one thing I should have paid more attention and for the other it will close as far or farther than any closed jaw trap. I read what he said also and I respectfully disagree. I am not trying to change anyone's mind, just giving my opinion. I have MB 450 fox traps that are closed jaw. Only a dozen to try them. I had a pea sized stone get caught in one this fall and the fox was gone when I got there. I learned a lesson on that one and will never assume sand traps are free of stones and will use my sitter in the future.

Last edited by strike2x; 01/14/20 09:08 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Wish I had more time to trap....
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91