Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Washing Fur #6747040
01/27/20 05:15 PM
01/27/20 05:15 PM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline OP
trapper
illinideer  Offline OP
trapper

West Cent IL
Since I caught a coyote and a coon this morning I thought I would post a few pictures using our home washing machine to rinse the fur.
Pic 1&2 critters skinned, 3 washer running, and 4&5 whats left over. This is just about all the mess I get from rinsing hides.This is done with cold water. I will only do 2 coyotes at a time or 3 coons. On the real fatty coons I will cut off some of the big globs of fat off during skinning. If I have a coyote that is really smelly/skunky I will wash it with some of my scent killer hunting clothes soap and then a rinse. It won't take all the smell out but puts a pretty good dent in it.
I hang them up by the nose with a loop of string in front of a box fan. The next morning I will roll them up tail to nose with the string hang out and put them in the freezer. When its time to board I'll take them out the night before and hang up by the string with a fan on them. By morning they will have thawed and unrolled.
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Washing Fur [Re: illinideer] #6747180
01/27/20 07:45 PM
01/27/20 07:45 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
The coyote hanging next to the coon prior to skinning does not look like it needs washing. How did you get so much blood on it while skinning??
In any event what I see could easily be handled with a borax treatment and all the hassle and possible problems with washing avoided, at least with the coyote when the pelt was turned fur out after drying.

Re the borax treatment, once the skin as dried and the fur turned out work considerable dry borax powder into the stained areas, let set for 10-15 minutes and then comb, brush, and shake the borax out. Using this borax treatment method works extremely well as can be seen in the following before and after pictures. As well as removing blood stains the borax also cleans and brightens the fur.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Washing Fur [Re: illinideer] #6747219
01/27/20 08:18 PM
01/27/20 08:18 PM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline OP
trapper
illinideer  Offline OP
trapper

West Cent IL
I dropped the darn thing right in a puddle of blood just as I cut the nose loose as i was flipping it. I agree borax does an excellent job and I use it to spot clean and plus I also use it on the insp window of my coon really makes the fur pop work it in and shop vac it out. Got that from a Jeff Dunlap vid. My only problem even though I try to be tidy I end up with borax all over my basement.
J

Last edited by illinideer; 01/28/20 11:43 AM.

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Washing Fur [Re: illinideer] #6747587
01/28/20 06:43 AM
01/28/20 06:43 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline
trapper
kyron4  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
When are you fleshing them , before or after the wash ? What temp is your room ?

I find waiting for fur to dry is just asking for slippage , I use an elec. leaf blower to fluff and 90 % dry the fur , as the under fur can stay damp from just air drying.

Re: Washing Fur [Re: kyron4] #6747857
01/28/20 11:50 AM
01/28/20 11:50 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline OP
trapper
illinideer  Offline OP
trapper

West Cent IL
After they hang overnight with a fan I'll brush them out a little and give them another check for burrs. Then rolled up and into the freezer I"ll flesh and board them later on when I get a few saved up. My basement stays right around 55-60 with a dehumidifier

J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Coyote U Class #4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread