Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
FREE Trap Bait - Wasilla Area! #6755226
02/02/20 08:12 PM
02/02/20 08:12 PM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline OP
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline OP
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I just got a call from a nice lady in Wasilla. She has a dead cow moose in her yard! ADFG will not help her. WL Troopers will not help her.

But troopers suggested that if a trapper wanted it for trap bait, they would issue a permit.

If any of you would be interested, please shoot me an email (petebuist@gmail.com), call me 907-388-7204, or send a PM.

Let's see if we can help this lady and make some "points" for trappers.

Pete

Re: FREE Trap Bait - Wasilla Area! [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6756211
02/03/20 04:33 PM
02/03/20 04:33 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
There is a huge disconnect between F&G and the Troopers and it is disturbing to me. I don't know if someone ticked someone off, if it is politics, or if it is a anti agenda.

I have been trapping up here for 15 years, the last 2 years things have changed between those 2 office's.

The F&G office has a trapper list for this very reason, and I can not count the number of times I have been called to retrieve a moose in someones yard. To easy. When I signed up in October there were already 12 trappers on that list. Them saying they can't do anything form that lady is wrong.

It used to be that if a moose was smacked and deemed inedible by the Troopers they would notify dispatch and they had the same list as F&G. That is not the case anymore.

So what I am seeing the past 2 years moose that could be used for bait just lay there and rot because those 2 offices are not communicating. The first one I picked up in Oct was laying on the side of the hwy, I had to call F&G, they told me I had to report it, it already had been by the troopers, and it became a --- roll and I had to talk to the 2 office's, in the end I got the moose.

But I question what happened and why is it happening. There was a system that worked and benefited everyone involved, and now there is not.

Re: FREE Trap Bait - Wasilla Area! [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6756803
02/04/20 06:28 AM
02/04/20 06:28 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline OP
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline OP
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
A trapper has gotten the moose carcass and all is well.

The "ownership" of game remains at issue. I had a similar problem once. A moose calf with a severely broken leg was on my place outside of town. Considering the multiple breaks in the leg bone, it obviously would never heal and was doomed. I called ADFG and asked for permission to put it down. They refused. They said it was "their" moose and I could not do the right thing and put it down.

A few days later it died. Probably from lack of food and water. I called ADFG. "YOUR moose is dead. Please come get it off my property before it attracts bears."

The reply? "Since it is dead, it is not our moose any more and we are not responsible for removing the carcass!" They also warned me not to move it.

Since the statute of limitations has run out, I will confess that I took the chance and moved it. Hooked up to it with the 4-wheeler and moved it a couple miles from the house.

Pete

Re: FREE Trap Bait - Wasilla Area! [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6757150
02/04/20 11:38 AM
02/04/20 11:38 AM
north Idaho
decoy Online content
trapper
decoy  Online Content
trapper

north Idaho
I know you are not kidding us BUT are you kidding us laugh Pete, Wow that is something crazy.

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: FREE Trap Bait - Wasilla Area! [Re: decoy] #6757565
02/04/20 04:50 PM
02/04/20 04:50 PM
Alaska
L
LB@LarsenBay Offline
trapper
LB@LarsenBay  Offline
trapper
L

Alaska
Not trying to change subject,

Troopers have a similar disconnect with State DOT regarding abandoned cars along the highways that have been rolled or just left.
If its not on the shoulder of the road causing a safety issue it belongs to the DOT.

DOT, if it is not stopping road maintenance like snow removal it becomes another highway right way decoration.

This has been in place before the current budget delima.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman