No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761330
02/07/20 07:07 AM
02/07/20 07:07 AM
N.W. Pennsylvania
JTaddeo Offline
trapper
JTaddeo  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania
Imma go ahead and turn my cheek to a proper stock weld, obtain a correct sight picture, pause breath in the same place I always do, and squeeeeeeze.

I don't hate or love anyone, meaning enemy, when I have perception or information that they are an "enemy" of mine. Like any other obstacal in life it needs dealt with properly.

That can be and in fact usually is best handled by separating one's self from it/them and the situation. It's incredible how things tend to balance themselves out and I get to watch.

Emotion needs kept in check at that point IME and the ramification(s) of any action evaluated accurately.

I assure you that my response(s) will be constitutional.

All of which is nothing more than simply my opinion.

The beauty of this country is that we have the LIBERTY to be and do as WE SEE FIT for ourselves.

I'm proud to have served to continue to make this possible, it definitely wasn't for the money.

Keep your boots dry and your powder too.

I remember when a fur check was reality.....now I'm just trapping for the love of it.

Best Regards,

JT
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761336
02/07/20 07:18 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Id just rather have those chances.

No...Faith

really? doesn't sound like it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761337
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Originally Posted by loosegoose
In Matthew 5, Jesus told us to love our enemies and pray for them. He explained that even pagans love those who love them, and great their own, so if we as Christians only so that we're not doing anything more than what the pagans do. This morning at the national prayer breakfast, Aurthur Brooks gave a speech about loving your enemy, something that's important to not forget in this time of high strung politics. After he spoke, trump got up and at the beginning of his speech, chuckled and said he didn't agree with Aurthur, implying that he didn't believe it's necessary to love one's enemies. So, without devolving into a pro-trump/anti-trump political debate, do you think we should follow the words of Jesus and love our enemies, including our political enemies? And what exactly does that look like?

We should all try to love our enemies. Being human, we often fail. It is hard to see the acts of some fellow humans and not let hate creep into our hearts.
We should all do our best to reject hate as it is counter to the teachings of Jesus. If a Christian does not try to follow the teaching of Christ, is he truly a Christian?
We are to pray for those who persecute us.

I thought it was good that Mr. Brooks reminded those at the prayer breakfast and all of us of this teaching.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: amspoker] #6761357
02/07/20 07:40 AM
02/07/20 07:40 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by amspoker
Originally Posted by J Staton

Why is it better to pluck out your eye according to Jesus?

Matt 5:29
If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into (Gehenna).

Gehenna is the original word used translated to "he ll".

Gehanna was a trash dump outside of town that was always burning.

If your had committed a sin, sentenced to death, this is were you might end up.

Not a place where you would want to end up.

Gehenna

There several different words translated to he ll. All have different meanings. Some mean simply the grave. Some a trash dump where the dead are taken. Translators were just applying their understanding of the afterlife when they used that word.

The bible is very clear that those who are dead sleep, awaiting a resurrection. All but Christ.

Where was Lazarus the four days he was dead? At the pearly gates playing golf, strumming a harp?

Bet that was a bummer when he had to ride the elevator back down to earth.

The wages of sin is DEATH.. Not perpetual fiery torture.

You could show me several scriptures that could be interpreted as the heaven/he ll understanding.

But you would have to ignore the multiple scriptures that say plainly the dead sleep, awaiting a resurrection.

The bible states that there are two deaths. The one you mention is the first death. The second time around is judgement to eternity. Eternity involves a lake of fire according to the bible.
Now personally, I believe there is no greater h ell than eternal separation from God. The lake of fire would be the easy part.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: danny clifton] #6761364
02/07/20 07:53 AM
02/07/20 07:53 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Id just rather have those chances.

No...Faith

really? doesn't sound like it.

Danny keep on Dancing ...what good does it to just analytically snatch on and always "Prove" or try to that a Christian is a hypocrite. If you had Zero belief in Christianity then you wouldnt fight so much against it.
Christian s are A Work in progress with Faith in The Trinity.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761378
02/07/20 08:18 AM
02/07/20 08:18 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by Yes sir

I believe its quite probable that at the beginning of the Crucifixion both men mocked Jesus but after seeing Jesus's response to his tormentors one realized who Jesus was and repented of his sin. Both accounts can be true there for not contradicting each other. You are assuming both accounts report the complete accounts of the Crucifixion but rather they only testify about part of what took place.

So just some irrelevant information in the Bible. This is why we need Biblical scholars, to tell us what is relevant and what is not?

Just like there are no contradictions, there is no irrelevant information. Are all tools in a tool box useful for ever job?

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761400
02/07/20 08:45 AM
02/07/20 08:45 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

So just some irrelevant information in the Bible. This is why we need Biblical scholars, to tell us what is relevant and what is not?

Just like there are no contradictions, there is no irrelevant information. Are all tools in a tool box useful for ever job?

That’s not a very good analogy since nobody has every pulled a 9/16ths wrench out of a tool box only to be told by a mechanic that it’s actually a hammer. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761408
02/07/20 08:52 AM
02/07/20 08:52 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

There are contradictions in the Bible and they are there for those that would have the Bible become the place of their faith and not Christ.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761410
02/07/20 08:57 AM
02/07/20 08:57 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
There are contradictions in the Bible and they are there for those that would have the Bible become the place of their faith and not Christ.

May I ask what are you basing this assertion on? The one about the Bible becoming your faith and not Jesus.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761423
02/07/20 09:07 AM
02/07/20 09:07 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Im just pointing out how ridiculous it is to tell someone to hedge their bets. Try to scare in them into joining a cult. Hypocrisy never entered MY mind.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761424
02/07/20 09:08 AM
02/07/20 09:08 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

May I ask what are you basing this assertion on? The one about the Bible becoming your faith and not Jesus.

It’s the only answer as to why they are in there.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761443
02/07/20 09:21 AM
02/07/20 09:21 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Hobbie
Thanks for the response. I was curious.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761446
02/07/20 09:26 AM
02/07/20 09:26 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Hobbie
Thanks for the response. I was curious.

NP

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761453
02/07/20 09:37 AM
02/07/20 09:37 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH

That's an interesting take on that Hobbie. I would think the opposite. I've known people that have seen contradictions, indiscretions, and figured that the men who wrote the New Testament could not of been guided by the Holy Spirit and therefore walked away from God. Taking into account the four Gospels were written by four different men, after death, and spanning at least 35 years, it does give credence to a non believers view that if in fact they we're guided by the Holy Spirit, then why the different stories.

Another thing is the three documented stories that are basically the same as the flood and Noah, but predate the Bible.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761464
02/07/20 09:46 AM
02/07/20 09:46 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Have seen people that never had time for church and God that when they became older started talking about God, always seemed like they started to think about their time ending and were hedging their bets.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Catch22] #6761469
02/07/20 09:49 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Catch22

That's an interesting take on that Hobbie. I would think the opposite. I've known people that have seen contradictions, indiscretions, and figured that the men who wrote the New Testament could not of been guided by the Holy Spirit and therefore walked away from God. Taking into account the four Gospels were written by four different men, after death, and spanning at least 35 years, it does give credence to a non believers view that if in fact they we're guided by the Holy Spirit, then why the different stories.

Another thing is the three documented stories that are basically the same as the flood and Noah, but predate the Bible.

Is walking away from God because of a book any different than walking away from Him because of Jim Beam? A woman? Selfishness?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761470
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I will say based of personal studies I have yet to see what I believe is a contradiction in the Bible. I believe that if the great deceiver can get us to doubt parts of God's word that in the future it will be easier for him to get others to doubt the Whole Word.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761486
02/07/20 10:01 AM
02/07/20 10:01 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I will say based of personal studies I have yet to see what I believe is a contradiction in the Bible. I believe that if the great deceiver can get us to doubt parts of God's word that in the future it will be easier for him to get others to doubt the Whole Word.

Which deceiver are you speaking of?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761492
02/07/20 10:05 AM
02/07/20 10:05 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Yes, I do see a difference in those scenario's. Why would you think that some people would have faith in the Bible, but not Christ?

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Catch22] #6761497
02/07/20 10:07 AM
02/07/20 10:07 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Catch22
Yes, I do see a difference in those scenario's. Why would you think that some people would have faith in the Bible, but not Christ?

The same reason congregations misplace their faith in pastors and walk away from God because it came to light that he was human.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 02/07/20 10:07 AM.

-Goofy-
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread