Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Getting a wolf line out in deep winter [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6751068
01/30/20 04:46 PM
01/30/20 04:46 PM
north Idaho
decoy Offline
trapper
decoy  Offline
trapper

north Idaho
Okay, so info on trap placement using straw, yellow snow, etc.

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: Getting a wolf line out in deep winter [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6763809
02/09/20 02:47 AM
02/09/20 02:47 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Sorry, not been around the computer. I've not used it, just known others that had problems with the wolves digging the traps up. So I can't give any personal advice on where exactly to place the traps. Just give it some thought. I would maybe use used straw as an attractant and possibly try setting the traps in some clean straw off to the side with yellow snow or better yet, bringing an actual male dog along and letting him pee on stuff and then set the traps there. I've seen that be successful while trapping dry ground. Just walk a dog or two down an old grade the wolves use and note where they pee (males that have been hauled around in the truck for a few hours WILL pee on something) and then setting traps there.

Re: Getting a wolf line out in deep winter [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6766191
02/11/20 09:58 AM
02/11/20 09:58 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Thanks guys yes I do use my dogs quite a bit with regards to canine trapping. I've definitely had success with coyotes that way. Wolves no different I bet. When checking my wolf sets I always bring one of my dogs on a leash with me in the hopes that their scent might help distract the wolves from any scent I'm leaving

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Getting a wolf line out in deep winter [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6772531
02/16/20 04:05 PM
02/16/20 04:05 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
I certainly wouldn't discourage you from trying some sort of dog bedding/hay set, but no one I know has been successful with it (tried it) mostly because it requires the conditions to remain stable for longer than they do. Trying to bed a trap in anything other than dirt is an exercise in frustration, at least for me. The slush just sucks to deal with and it's made harder by the fact that the wolves are still consistently visiting baits and set locations this time of year, even more so now in some areas.

Even though there's a super-low probability of catching one in these conditions, your time isn't lost...what you're learning about where/how they're travelling and habits this time of the year will pay dividends for next year. They travel differently when the snow/slush piles up and your snare (and foothold) locations will become more evident. I just picked one up the other day in a snare I hung and hadn't touched since mid-October (been checking them of course). Without deep snow, the location isn't something that would have stood out - just a random spot where a snare's been hanging. After the winter snow/slush sets up it becomes a little "tunnel" of sorts that funnels wolf movement into the location. Have picked up two in that location and is one of the few areas/situations I do use snares as all the deer have long since moved out of that area and it's an established bait site that I keep their interest in with a random bone or two.

The bait sites that you got out earlier will be good spots once the snow starts melting back and breaking up. Any bones that start protruding the snow will be magnets. If there's a tree or two around those areas that has or will melt off to dirt, get a set established there and be patient. A good stinky dirt hole is my go-to this time of year. While you're out checking scout around for the locations along wolf travel routes that are melting off - these are good places to establish a bait next year, or even this year. Still plenty of time left.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman