Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to lure making #6764950
02/10/20 02:44 AM
02/10/20 02:44 AM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline OP
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline OP
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Decided to keep the glands on my cats this season. I separated the main glands (ears, hind leg, anal) into one container and the intestines, stomach, kidney, 1/4 liver with gal, bladder, and paw pads into another container. The main glands I ran through the food processor with some sodium benzoate to preserve them fresh. The other parts I ran through the processor, and put them in a container with loose lid and some cheese cloth to age till the gasses stop. I’m planning on using the main glands as is. The only exception being that I want to mix it with petroleum jelly so it sticks good and is weather proof. The aged stuff I want to experiment with making a curiosity lure similar to powder river cat call. Someone sent me a caster glands so I have that To work with as well.

Any advise would be great. I pretty much only target cats in exposed walkthroughs. Sometimes I put a dirt hole with cat smells in areas where I would t mind a coyote either.

Last edited by cat_trapper_nv; 02/11/20 05:23 PM.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765283
02/10/20 11:58 AM
02/10/20 11:58 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I've never worked with petroleum jelly but a lot of guys claim it locks the odor in too much and kind of seals over. With cat glands not being overly potent anyway I'd be cautious. Texture of a lure is not much of a priority to me. Potency, attraction and longevity of odor are more important for me.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765315
02/10/20 12:37 PM
02/10/20 12:37 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Vaseline does lock in odor and in my opinion its best used only to waterproof snares so they will work through a freezing rain. if you havnt added it yet dont. if your determined to try it anyway do yourself a favor and only ruin a small amount of your material as an experiment

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: New to lure makong [Re: danny clifton] #6765428
02/10/20 02:45 PM
02/10/20 02:45 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Vaseline does lock in odor

YEP, skins over.

many folks use Lanolin, available from several suppliers, but cheapest off Amazon. Look in any of the 10-12 catalogs that'r sposd to be on your desk. JR and Sons is the first comes to mind.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765465
02/10/20 03:27 PM
02/10/20 03:27 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Lanolin does the same thing if not worse. You have to doctor it to/cut it to make it release better. Petro Gel or a synthetic grease would be a better choice.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6765534
02/10/20 04:32 PM
02/10/20 04:32 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
THANKS Bob, always appreciate your input.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766509
02/11/20 03:01 PM
02/11/20 03:01 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Kinda puts a commercial lure maker in a predicament . . . to either tell you, "Yes, by golly, that's a killer lure you have there and you discovered in one session what it took me 20 years to develop," or . . . . "Dude, I've tried what you are trying and it resulted in a wasted bunch of good lure ingredients." If a commercial lure maker comes clean and tells you that you've hit the home run with the lure formula, then he's cutting off his nose to spite his own face. If he tells you that you're wasting your time with that formula, he comes off as a Debbie Downer, probably offends you, and ultimately deprives you of learning for yourself whether your concoction is good, bad or indifferent.

Back in the 50's or 60's, I can't remember which one, there was a group that figured they had all the ingredients and methods to make a nuclear weapon. . . . in their garage. The feds learned about it somehow and put the kybosh on the whole thing saying that what the group was publishing about the bomb was a national secret threat/disclosure of military secrets, etc. The group sued the feds, saying they had a first amendment right to publish their ideas and theories about the components of nuclear weapons. I can't remember the outcome (I think the Court upheld the federal government restriction based on national security concerns), but I do remember one of the justices saying essentially the same thing -- the government was put in a predicament to say the group's "recipe" was either right or wrong. If they said it was right, then everyone would know how to build a nuclear bomb, and if they said they were wrong, then the feds would have no national security concerns about what the group was doing because they couldn't in fact build a bomb in the way they were saying they could.

Anyway, I think its a bit the same way. Lots of fun to fiddle with lures and smells though.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: Lazarus] #6766513
02/11/20 03:08 PM
02/11/20 03:08 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Kinda puts a commercial lure maker in a predicament . . . to either tell you, "Yes, by golly, that's a killer lure you have there and you discovered in one session what it took me 20 years to develop," or . . . . "Dude, I've tried what you are trying and it resulted in a wasted bunch of good lure ingredients." If a commercial lure maker comes clean and tells you that you've hit the home run with the lure formula, then he's cutting off his nose to spite his own face. If he tells you that you're wasting your time with that formula, he comes off as a Debbie Downer, probably offends you, and ultimately deprives you of learning for yourself whether your concoction is good, bad or indifferent.

Back in the 50's or 60's, I can't remember which one, there was a group that figured they had all the ingredients and methods to make a nuclear weapon. . . . in their garage. The feds learned about it somehow and put the kybosh on the whole thing saying that what the group was publishing about the bomb was a national secret threat/disclosure of military secrets, etc. The group sued the feds, saying they had a first amendment right to publish their ideas and theories about the components of nuclear weapons. I can't remember the outcome (I think the Court upheld the federal government restriction based on national security concerns), but I do remember one of the justices saying essentially the same thing -- the government was put in a predicament to say the group's "recipe" was either right or wrong. If they said it was right, then everyone would know how to build a nuclear bomb, and if they said they were wrong, then the feds would have no national security concerns about what the group was doing because they couldn't in fact build a bomb in the way they were saying they could.

Anyway, I think its a bit the same way. Lots of fun to fiddle with lures and smells though.

Haha ain’t it the truth.

I’m not looking into finding the secret to drawing in cats. I try putting my sets where a cat wants to travel anyways. Just looking to slow it down so it steps on my trap while moving through. I’m sure I could do the same with no lure haha.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766518
02/11/20 03:14 PM
02/11/20 03:14 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
That's what Joel Blakeslee always says!!

For me, I can't help myself. Its like my mechanic says when he packs wheel bearing grease -- If a little does a little good, a lotta does a lotta good.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766554
02/11/20 03:42 PM
02/11/20 03:42 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
Originally Posted by Lazarus

Haha ain’t it the truth.

I’m not looking into finding the secret to drawing in cats. I try putting my sets where a cat wants to travel anyways. Just looking to slow it down so it steps on my trap while moving through. I’m sure I could do the same with no lure haha.

Why post the question then?

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766563
02/11/20 03:58 PM
02/11/20 03:58 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
I didn’t ask a question. Just said what I was doing and said i would be happy with any advise

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766565
02/11/20 04:03 PM
02/11/20 04:03 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Just throwing a chewed on bone out there Tracy. Been there done that many years ago. Might save a fella some $$ and help them to make a better choice in selecting what may be a better ingredient for his purpose. Not speaking to the ingredients or his formula ideas. Just the one component he is considering for use as a binder and smear application ingredient.

I guess I am coming clean on this topic, a little. smile

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766569
02/11/20 04:07 PM
02/11/20 04:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Is there a difference between inviting advise and asking for advise

Re: New to lure makong [Re: Yes sir] #6766581
02/11/20 04:28 PM
02/11/20 04:28 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Yes inviting advise means I'm not looking for anything, but don't mind what others ideas are. Asking means I don't know what to do and need help.

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766583
02/11/20 04:31 PM
02/11/20 04:31 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Any bone Bob Jameson throws, I’m jumpin on!

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766592
02/11/20 04:49 PM
02/11/20 04:49 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv

Yes inviting advise means I'm not looking for anything, but don't mind what others ideas are. Asking means I don't know what to do and need help.

Ok now that we are on the same page, if you weren't looking for anything what was the purpose of your post?

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766593
02/11/20 04:50 PM
02/11/20 04:50 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
2X

Re: New to lure makong [Re: Yes sir] #6766600
02/11/20 05:04 PM
02/11/20 05:04 PM
Southern Nevada
C
"Cat Master"
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada

Ok now that we are on the same page, if you weren't looking for anything what was the purpose of your post?

*shake my head*. I already answered that. I was just saying what I was doing. Didn't know a post had to be a question.

Last edited by cat_trapper_nv; 02/11/20 05:10 PM. Reason: decided to change to a nicer response

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766604
02/11/20 05:08 PM
02/11/20 05:08 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Seth must of had a rough day punching cows and running round bales. Them cowboys got a rough job some days and can get cranky. Maybe he just needs some MIdol for his symptoms smile

Re: New to lure makong [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6766629
02/11/20 05:33 PM
02/11/20 05:33 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Lol just board while in the shop fixing mineral feeders, having some fun