Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
skunk juice in coyote urine #6757859
02/04/20 08:14 PM
02/04/20 08:14 PM
east Texas
W
wildturkey Offline OP
trapper
wildturkey  Offline OP
trapper
W

east Texas
I just recieved in the mail a 16 oz. bottle of coyote urine. It is in a plastic bottle and a ziplock bag and it smells strong of skunk. Will it be ok to use canine trap?

Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6757875
02/04/20 08:24 PM
02/04/20 08:24 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
its not coyote pee if it smells like skunk

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6757905
02/04/20 08:45 PM
02/04/20 08:45 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
It wont hurt nothing but your catch rate. But some people use it and dont worry.

Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6766570
02/11/20 04:10 PM
02/11/20 04:10 PM
east Texas
W
wildturkey Offline OP
trapper
wildturkey  Offline OP
trapper
W

east Texas
Thanks Sir,
The shipping package and the bottle itself had a very strong skunk scent. I poured some out and the urine didn't have any skunk scent to it. ????

Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6766976
02/11/20 10:50 PM
02/11/20 10:50 PM
sw minn.
Flipper Offline
trapper
Flipper  Offline
trapper

sw minn.
Back in the day I bought my urine from One of the best lure makers out east he always asked if I wanted skunk added.

Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6768514
02/13/20 08:14 AM
02/13/20 08:14 AM
Austin Minnesota
Suchlike2 Offline
trapper
Suchlike2  Offline
trapper

Austin Minnesota
Are you sure its skunk you are smelling? If you get good meat fed urine, it can smell pretty stout. Only way to get past that is to splash a little on your hands, rub them together and eat a sandwich. blush

Life is short, tomorrow is promised to none of us. Make the best of every day you have
Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6768603
02/13/20 09:45 AM
02/13/20 09:45 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Some folks smell a bit differently in how they describe and interpret odors. I have encountered many such individuals who say the same in describing red fox and coyote urine. Particularly the side odor effect of skunk initially. Most consumers, novice trappers and others don't really know what things are supposed to smell like from this industry. It takes many years to really know how to recognize various products and what their true associated odors are suppose to smell like.

Skunk is the most common come to mind comparison that many folks can think of when they smell certain odors We had some mail carriers particularly women over the years that I had some problems with due to the strong odor bleed thru the packages at times with just urine.

I know some of our new card board boxes absorbs our shop odors and bear the odors of what I am working with that particular week. If I am dosing a batch of lure or bait with pure skunk musk it is extremely penetrating to most all porous materials exposed to that area. This odor holds in that cardboard for a long time even during the shipment time to the consumer

Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6772103
02/16/20 09:07 AM
02/16/20 09:07 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I have coyote urine that I put skunk in to create a different response. coyotes eat skunks here in my area very quickly and will dig them up when buried. I will do the same with red fox and grey fox urine. and have folks that want me to put skunk in the urines, but I do not sell as straight urine it is spiked urine.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6772163
02/16/20 09:59 AM
02/16/20 09:59 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I never bought from you jonsie but that is what I expect from anybody I do buy from.

Bob made a good point. Maybe what he is calling skunk smell really isnt.

If it is skunk smell and I had bought it, I would send it back with a request for a refund. Always a possibility the dealer mistakenly sent spiked urine. I could see that happen with a bunch of orders to fill and a grandkid playing football that afternoon or something.

We all know there is a company out of NJ selling bulk artificial urine. They sell it as artificial. I have yet to see a dealer at a convention say what they are selling is artificial. So where does it all go? Lots of crooked dealers at trapper conventions. Not all but definitely a lot.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: skunk juice in coyote urine [Re: wildturkey] #6779165
02/22/20 08:05 AM
02/22/20 08:05 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Danny, NJ is getting ready to ban Natural Deer urines soon, so there is a push for synthetic urines for deer scents. I am working hard to make non-deer urine-based scents to replace my deer urine scent line. I am having some good results but nothing like the real stuff. The wording was going to be banning all-natural urine-based scents, which would have affected the trapping trade, I was able to get that wording changed to deer urine only. So I would suspect that the other newer deer scent companies here in NJ are trying different things. Other than Newt and myself I do not know of any other trapping lure makers in NJ unless they just started recently. I have never seen them at the conventions or trapper meets. So my guess is the company you are referring to would be a newer Deer scent company. I have spiked deer urine with skunk and it is amazing how many predators and deer that have come to it LOL again if someone wants it I will make it for folks, but it is labeled spiked urine, not straight urine.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91