Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6767930
02/12/20 05:02 PM
02/12/20 05:02 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline OP
trapper
The Beav  Offline OP
trapper
T

Wisconsin
MY god man I had "ONE" snare pulled down to what I believe was a foot going through the loop. The loop pulled down to the deer stop which leaves a 2 1/2" loop. It looked like the coyote sat down pulled out It's foot and walked away. I also mentioned where a coyote walked up to a snare and turned away. Coyotes walk around snares they knock them down. It 's what coyotes do.

I have caught 22 coyotes this year I have about 20 locations I trap. Out of those 22 coyotes I caught 8 got away when they popped the BAD. One pulled the stake but I re caught It 10 days later In another CR.
I get all kinds of knock downs some are deer and some are coyotes. Sometimes the coyotes come back some times they don't. Or maybe I'll catch them at another location.
I'm pretty sure that when the coyote gets up close and personal to a cable loop he can see It sometimes he shy's away from It and sometimes he sticks his head through It and you catch It.

Then all of a sudden the magnetic field thing popped up. I don't think It has anything to do with your catch rate. If you think It does well that's your right.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Coyotes [Re: Yes sir] #6768147
02/12/20 08:47 PM
02/12/20 08:47 PM
southwest Alberta .Canada
RKH Offline
trapper
RKH  Offline
trapper

southwest Alberta .Canada
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I wonder of the coyotes aren't playing with the snares (biting and pawing at them).

Possible for sure like i say im just thinking out loud ..when i see a snare laying in the trail i think knocked down but when i see a snare pulled tight and almost thrown 5ft away with no tracks where it lays a guy starts to wonder what the h###? Always amazes me some of the things you see happen while trapping

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6768673
02/13/20 11:21 AM
02/13/20 11:21 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Geeeeez.

Now we gotta worry about magnetic field?

Getting pretty deep in here and I’m without my shovel! Lol

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6768679
02/13/20 11:31 AM
02/13/20 11:31 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I will agree there’s a huge change during full moons, but it ain’t because of magnetic fields!

Pretty big behavior change during the moon. More neophobic due to feeling exposed and vulnerable due to increased light.

Dark full moons (no snow cover and or overcast sky’s) it’s not as prevalent.

Bright moons, clear skies and good snow cover, it may as well be daylight.

And if you don’t think coyotes can better see snares under those bright type conditions, well, you probably think they’re sensing your snares magnetic field.

They still move. A lot if the barometers moving. But their behavior changes.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 02/13/20 11:33 AM.
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6768689
02/13/20 11:36 AM
02/13/20 11:36 AM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
They are all trained by the CIA as well. Smarter than Einstein himself. Its a mystery on why we even kill the amount we do. Wonder what genetic changes are in store for us over the next 10 years. Probably be like trying to catch the "Predator".

Colorado Search and Rescue- Interfering with natural selection since 1976
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6768712
02/13/20 12:04 PM
02/13/20 12:04 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I'm not sure the cause either, but my wife has worked in nursing homes for years, and she says things can pretty crazy on the full moon. For what its worth.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Coyotes [Re: Yukon John] #6768829
02/13/20 02:07 PM
02/13/20 02:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I'm not sure the cause either, but my wife has worked in nursing homes for years, and she says things can pretty crazy on the full moon. For what its worth.

I was thinking about the same thing, about how full moon affect people according to nurses and guards at prison facilities. If it does affect people's actions then they are sensing something caused by the full moon. And its probably not the light of it as most are indoors were they cant see outside. Just something to think about.

Re: Coyotes [Re: Yes sir] #6768950
02/13/20 03:42 PM
02/13/20 03:42 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I just asked my Daughter "Does the full moon have an effect at your nursing home when it comes around? She is a nursing home administrator.

Yes it always does, or the week before and after.

The earths gravitational or magnetic effect is greatest during a full moon with the sun also contributing to the effect. It would be hard to explain high and low tide any other way. When I tested cage traps I always found the same factor causing one trap to be more effective than the other. It was the amount of magnetic intensity. They were easiest and more reliable when testing beaver and otter catches because the animals were more concentrated at each location. I also had a better understanding as to know if other trappers had trapped close by, which would effect the results. I had several traps that looked the same, same size, same doors and trigger, but didn't pass. Each design could be tested before it went in the field and the EMF test never lied. The results on catch were always the same. I was baffold
a couple of times because the traps looked so alike. It is the same fore snares and every trapping device.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6768974
02/13/20 04:08 PM
02/13/20 04:08 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
What we have been discussing "reactions by animals like they are". I have been showing my belief that is a reduction in positive ions emitted from a device and negative ions cause a calming affect reducing an animals ability to sense danger. Here is an article that explains much of that by explaining why storms and weather has a negative effect. You will see by this author it is the effect of negative ion and positive ion exposure creating the affects. You then apply to your situation and conditions. Should help to understanding animals reactions.

https://blogs.northcountrypublicradio.org/allin/2017/02/26/positive-ions-can-make-for-an-ill-wind/

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769266
02/13/20 07:15 PM
02/13/20 07:15 PM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
Apparently, I dont get out enough!!!!!

Colorado Search and Rescue- Interfering with natural selection since 1976
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769280
02/13/20 07:33 PM
02/13/20 07:33 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Ok, so what is the method of demagnetizing (or desensetizing) our equipment?

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769345
02/13/20 08:45 PM
02/13/20 08:45 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
To the people so quick to make jokes, these are just a few thoughts I've had reading this thread....

What is there to gain by instantly dismissing the notion that there may be more to animal behavior than previously understood? I would think trappers using steel equipment are a sort of niche category. In other words, trapping would probably make this apparent long before some city-brained scientists ever would.

Considering the way animals react to barometric pressure, incoming fronts, migrations, etc, I don't think the proposal that they have an awareness of magnetic fields is all that out of line.

I agree, coyotes can be neophobic. Look at how they respond to big baits for example. But they are most definitely out everywhere during a full moon, and sure are responsive to calling. You can literally see them out and about, especially in the snow as mentioned. Coyotes have no problems being out in the daylight either, as many of us know. Switching gears....why do coon catches drop during a full moon too? Certainly, corn stalks and crawfish are not hiding due to it being bright out.

I'm not a biologist or scientist, but I don't think that animals can afford to just not move for up to a week because it is a little brighter out. But that is just my take on it. Nobody has to agree. The moon most definitely impacts the earth and its creatures in many ways.

I've mentioned it to a few trappers now who instead of laughing, have said yeah, the magnetic thing would definitely explain a lot.

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769529
02/13/20 11:50 PM
02/13/20 11:50 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
My Question still stands with all seriousness...I'd like to know how to defeat my adversaries!

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769557
02/14/20 12:17 AM
02/14/20 12:17 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Buy the book.

Re: Coyotes [Re: MNCedar] #6769582
02/14/20 12:50 AM
02/14/20 12:50 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by MNCedar

I'm not a biologist or scientist, but I don't think that animals can afford to just not move for up to a week because it is a little brighter out. But that is just my take on it. Nobody has to agree. The moon most definitely impacts the earth and its creatures in many ways.

I've mentioned it to a few trappers now who instead of laughing, have said yeah, the magnetic thing would definitely explain a lot.

I don’t think anybody has said they stop moving.

But they behave differently.

If you believe a coyote is somewhat neophobic by nature, than you must also believe he is more so when he feels vulnerable and exposed.

When are coyotes most bold and brazen? High noon or midnight?

Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769625
02/14/20 02:52 AM
02/14/20 02:52 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Interesting conversation

Kenneth schoening
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769812
02/14/20 10:14 AM
02/14/20 10:14 AM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Boone,

I get what you're trying to say.

But in order to accomplish your point, you will need to prove that coyotes "feel" vulnerable and exposed. I just do not see any proof in my own experiences that they are feeling vulnerable. During full moon nights, they are vocal, active, responsive to calling, and can literally be seen covering ground. etc. I cut substantial amounts of tracks which also evidences no hinderance of movement during bright nights. These are my supportive claims for my statement.

Neophobic means a fear of something new or unfamiliar. Which is why I mentioned big baits. After a lifetime of full moons and daylight travel, I just don't see how unfamiliar these things would be. To answer your question, technically the coyote who is out at high noon is more bold. I don't quite follow what that is supporting. Coyotes cover tremendous ground in early morning hours too. They also respond to calling during the daytime.

I sounds like we are in agreement that bright nights do not shut down animal movement, but animals do behave differently during these times.

The question would be why....and people can agree to disagree. Personally, I believe there is a lot more to animal behavior than we currently understand.

Last edited by MNCedar; 02/14/20 10:16 AM.
Re: Coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6769830
02/14/20 10:31 AM
02/14/20 10:31 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
My proof is in the direct correlation to an increase in refusals (in both snares and trap sets) on brightly lit full moon cycles.

Full moon cycles that aren’t as brightly lit due to cloud cover, lack of snow cover, or a combination of the two, are not a problem.

I have it well documented in notes over the years. Ultra bright moonlit nights, I WILL see a dramatic uptick in refusals and a dip in catch rates.

The moon is still full up there behind the clouds. The magnetic
pull is still there. The only thing that has changed are light levels.

More light puts em on edge. When a coyote is like that, he’s more aware, more standofish, and he’s harder to catch.

Not much different than highly exploited, educated coyotes. Those stil move to, but, they’re more wary, more aware, more standofish, and harder to catch.

Re: Coyotes [Re: Boone Liane] #6769856
02/14/20 10:52 AM
02/14/20 10:52 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Boone, magnetism of the full moon is increasing the amount positive ions Emitted from the device if it is of a higher level than the average Of the earth the coyote can see it if the intensity is high enough. The coyote Can sense it if it’s strong enough as it goes through the snare. Or trapping devices.

Re: Coyotes [Re: Kirk De] #6769864
02/14/20 10:56 AM
02/14/20 10:56 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
From my experiences it’s almost like it glows or radiates. You make the set Or device to reduce that glow or intensity of the field. They learned from experience overtime that high intensity fields are very harmful. I believe even to their own bodies. That’s just my opinion based on my experience.

Last edited by Kirk De; 02/14/20 11:00 AM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91