Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic #6789333
03/02/20 12:42 AM
03/02/20 12:42 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
History abounds with powerful medicinal plants that indigenous peoples have used in great success .

Who here hasn't heard and appreciate the mountain men trappers of early times , and their intimate knowledge of flora and fauna around them, gathered and used for many health issues ?

Tis a mighty thing to be able to help yourself this way , to have good working knowledge to keep as decent in health, as possible.

Been some time since I've made this tonic, however, lately, present day conditions have motivated me to spend a bit of time to make a batch again , and I thought the Tman Tribe would find it possibly interesting.

Called Master Tonic, Super Tonic, the Plague Tonic, it is an extremely powerful mixture of herbs , steeped in Apple Cider Vinegar . It has been made in households all over the world , for many years, though I have not been able to find a source of origin ...just seems to be one of those age old things that gets handed down and shared over time.

I first learned about this concoction from a good friend some decades ago . I am forever grateful to her, being my first introduction to the world of medicinal powerful herbs , and what they do. There are some varied ways of making this, but always with the base ingredients and ACV to steep it in, consistent in them all.

This has been road tested to work for many things, such as the common cold, pathogens ,bad ones, parasites, any viruses that circulate in season, and is a great all around immune system builder , with a plethora of health benefits to the whole body in many other ways.

This is not to be underestimated .

The great thing about this, is that it can be used in tandem with prescription meds , working , as herbs do , in amicable union . There is a place for both worlds , working together for the cause.

I think of our very own Patrice beating the heck out of Lyme's , using a lengthy regime of prescription meds along with powerful herb mixes, in rotations and amounts. One used without the other wouldn't have purged that and it's accompanying viruses out of her system.

Granted, it is pungent and very strong, but worth the effort . Taken every day year round, in small maintenance amount , builds the immune system and shores up the body to fight off pathogens as soon as they enter and begin to take hold. Others only take it when flu season begins, continuing through winter , a good way to go. Others will take larger amounts as soon as they begin to feel "off" . This Tonic is effective even if taken late into the midst of full blown flu , bronchitis , strep, etc...still with noticeable results in the duration shortened .

Most here know the properties of the herbs used in this, and combining them in ACV , with it's known advantages , makes for a potent arsenal in building up immune system , and many other plusses in health benefits.

Whether surrounded by sick family members, office mates , out among people in public, or just want to keep your immunity in top shape, preventative use of 1 tablespoon a day is a commonly used amount. If you're already feeling under the weather, 1 tablespoon 3-4 times a day , until feeling back to one's healthy self. Some take a bit more than that- there's room for variance. It can be drank straight up as a "shot" ,add to hot water as a tea, a toned down version . Honey, Agave Nectar, or Stevia can be mixed in, if some sweetness is desired.

This stuff will clear your sinuses and warm you up ! Yes, the ingredients are frightening to those new to the idea, but something happens when it's all steeped in ACV for two weeks to six . Opinions vary on the infusion time , but I've used it after two weeks with great results. Yes it does have heat in swallowing , but not so much that it is intolerable, it "blends" to uniform warmth. I can't take a lot of spicy heat in peppers, mustard, etc in seasonings, but I can do this . I've noticed a strange thing , it tastes strong when I'm feeling well, and you'd think , taking it with a sore throat would really burn on the way down, but it doesn't. It actually feels warm, soothing to the area. I've heard others remark the same observation . Go figure, but that is the case , with me and some others, anyway.

This will stay good , on the shelf , because of the vinegar . Better in a dark place , out of sunlight.

Here's what tools you will need : Glass jar ( no plastic or metal), sized to hold the amount you're making, Blender (optional) can chop by hand too, cutting board , knife, surgical gloves (even two or three pair, a must have to keep the hot off your hands), wrap glasses or regular glasses ( helps shield from fumes and from accidentally from touching your face near your eyes) , ceramic plate to cut the turmeric on...the yellow juice will stain just about anything porous , so I cut it on a ceramic plate instead of my cutting board.

[Linked Image]

As you prepare this, try not to bend too close or breathe too deep , you will smell them, though ! Fresh ginger is so refreshing to me...smells clean and sweet ! Horseradish when cut or chopped in blender has a real "kick" -pun intended ! Needless to say, take good care handling those searing hot peppers.
It all will clear the sinuses during preparation , but it won't last long once it is all cut or chopped.
Ingredients :

Equal parts ( whether a couple cups, or a pound of each - which makes two glass gallon jars full , that gets used up over time)

Fresh ginger root, turmeric, horseradish root, garlic, white onion ( or other hot onion) , hot peppers , jalapeño , habanero , as hot as you can find, apple cider vinegar ( unfiltered, with the 'mother')

These will be chopped fairly fine, or chopped in blender. If you use a blender, put in smaller amounts of horseradish , it is a hard root, with some ACV , chop in pulses . The other herbs will chop much easier.

The images below are what I did today :
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Turmeric cut on the plate -this is a time honored herb in poultice application too, for pain, pulled muscles , joint injuries. Just keep it wrapped so it wont stain clothes !
[Linked Image]

When cutting horseradish root, I don't peel the outer layer-unless it's real wrinkly or thick...just wash with a brush first. Same with ginger and turmeric. Once the knife is into the top with a rocking motion, just press with your hand along the top of the blade , instead of sawing. It usually slices right down with one push. Turn as needed to cut on the flat side...careful the knife doesn't slip.
[Linked Image]
Everything chopped and ready for the blender...some ACV in the bowls with turmeric and horseradish root helps to soften it just a bit as you chop the rest. If chopping by hand, those roots will need to be smaller than they are in the dishes shown . Not tiny- small chunks will suffice .
[Linked Image]

Fill the jars in equal amounts , or one, then add the ACV. It needs to cover the herbs and basically fill the jar . I didn't get enough ACV , but the ingredients are still covered. I will get more , and fill to the near top later.
[Linked Image]

Now it needs to just set and infuse on a shelf , out of bright light, two weeks , other sources say six...I've had it do fine in two. Stir with a long utensil around once a day. I use wax paper , under the metal lid , to keep the ACV from contacting it. After a few weeks , strain out the herb pieces and you have your tonic in the vinegar solution. It will store at room temp indefinitely. The herbs can be composted, or used in other dishes as seasonings, made into salad dressing, or fed to chooks , or other animals to give them a boost too .

I am rarely sick...and when I do come down with something, immediately using this tonic will knock the bug right out , sooner the better. Of course, sometimes things take hold anyway , or taking the tonic is done late so it takes hold, but the duration, intensity and misery is much suppressed . The key is a strong immune system to begin with , and more ammo to use when something does fly in the breeze our way, or touches our hands.

There are so many really great properties to every one of these herbs and the vinegar , I fear I would really ramble on even more than I have already if I listed them all. Even cancer cell killing properties in some of them.

When you have something time tested , and see it working well in others too, it is natural to be moved to share.

As the Irish say ,sláinte , good health to you .

I believe in plenty of ammo smile

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789335
03/02/20 12:52 AM
03/02/20 12:52 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
Thanks Sharon. I am a huge fan of natural remedies! I have done my fair share of "Russian Penicillin", so I am going to make a batch of your "Master Tonic" and give it a go. Thank you for your post. Have a good one.

God bless and happy trails, Swampfox

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789354
03/02/20 02:00 AM
03/02/20 02:00 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Thanks for posting this Sharon! I’m going to make this one day this week!

Cold as ice!
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789358
03/02/20 03:36 AM
03/02/20 03:36 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Sharon, do you ever do anything with elderberry, elderflower, mint or camomile?

Elderberry syrup seems to work very well for me.

Keith

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789403
03/02/20 07:17 AM
03/02/20 07:17 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
been digging medicinals my whole life,heck,i have even dug,wahed and dried a dry ton of skunk cabbage root.bloodroot,mayapples,trilliums,among just a few

love the post maam.

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789461
03/02/20 08:44 AM
03/02/20 08:44 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I do something very similar to that but it is steeped in vodka and mixed with
V-8 juice

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789467
03/02/20 08:50 AM
03/02/20 08:50 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Thanks for sharing, Sharon. I much appreciate your thread.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789491
03/02/20 09:11 AM
03/02/20 09:11 AM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
Very cool info Mrs. Sharon !! Im gonna give it a go.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789492
03/02/20 09:14 AM
03/02/20 09:14 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I have seen ready made tonic for sale. But it's crazy expensive.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789497
03/02/20 09:22 AM
03/02/20 09:22 AM
pennsylvania-union county
F
furgotten Offline
trapper
furgotten  Offline
trapper
F

pennsylvania-union county
AWESOME

Gone will be those whom have allowed themselves to be disillusioned beyond their primal instincts.
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789500
03/02/20 09:26 AM
03/02/20 09:26 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Cool post. That sounds like it would be very hot? How much of it do you drink?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789505
03/02/20 09:33 AM
03/02/20 09:33 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content
trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content
trapper

Minnesota
Thanks Sharon...where do you obtain the roots?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789509
03/02/20 09:46 AM
03/02/20 09:46 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
one end of me could not handle that.

tomorrow i'll adventure into our mountains in search of our spring tonic--the wild LEEK,or ramp as they are called.raw leeks,leek sammich,leek dip, ham and leeks,trout n leeks and a couple i'm sure i missed.

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789536
03/02/20 10:08 AM
03/02/20 10:08 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
That sure sounds like it would burn going down and out. eek Dose sound a lot like a pepper juice Grandma used to make for sore throats. Been to long for me to remember what all was in it, but it would burn the sore right out of your throat. whistle

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789588
03/02/20 11:45 AM
03/02/20 11:45 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Hio-Hio-Ipsonyoh

Mean As Nails
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789593
03/02/20 11:54 AM
03/02/20 11:54 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Would it work as good if you fried venison in it??

Just kidding Excellent thread folks need to take care of themselves year around not just when the Scat hits the Fan

olden tyred
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789608
03/02/20 12:10 PM
03/02/20 12:10 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Sounds like a great chicken or pork marinade think I will try some!

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789706
03/02/20 02:17 PM
03/02/20 02:17 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thank you, all...Keith, I haven't worked with elderberry, but have enjoyed products of that from friends -it's very good. I know there's good uses for them, all those wild berries are high in Vit C . They grow all over the west here. Love mint, and it's uses. Perfect for upset stomach , nausea , a tasty treat in sweetened water, after a meal, or other desserts. Have heard Camomile makes a wonderful tea . As does eucalyptus makes a very good tea, or inhalant nebulizer, for lungs and sinuses...as does a few drops of Oxine in nebulized water.Oxine also kills pathogens on contact , is used for water treatment to keep bacteria from forming. Patrice and I have had many great thoughts exchanged about this subject...she uses it for her chooks , in cleaning, and as inhalant for herself when she feels "off".Works for herself, every time.

I don't know as much about this fascinating world as I'd like , but I do know what I have learned already, over the years , and am always learning new things...never ending.

Pcr2, there's a whole bunch of things that are so healing and good out there. So much to learn ! I've heard about ramps for years. They aren't in this area. Someday I'll try some. Dandelion greens are so high in amazing nutrient values, but I can only have so much before my system says enough...they are too strong for me to have all the time. Good stuff, though.

Run, yes it is sold ready made. In making this myself, I have literally a gallon or two for a fraction of the cost of buying it ready made, and much more to last, in longer duration by far. Buying the ingredients and some time to make it is worth every penny, and much less expensive.

One of the best sources of anything I have seen , explained, and ready made, are from Dr Schultz . He makes stuff strong with a punch, since it is sold to everyone, without custom tailoring to an individual's needs, he has mastered a typical dosage that works safely within the perimeters for just about everyone. His explanations in detail , of the totally different realms of typical synthesized , over the counter vitamins, vs quality , real natural supplements , is mind blowing education. Education that AMA in general, unfortunately hasn't taken time to acknowledge in depth, and so lumped the two in their comments all together, with the resulting negative findings...all from mainly studying synthesized vitamins , and of course not seeing the results that natural properly produced supplements attain. These too, gives much aid in keeping the body running in good immunity , balance, in filling the gap of lack in nutrients along with the foods we enjoy. That said, there's a decent and growing amount of AMA doctors who bow in respect to these things, in this country, in their personal findings and experiences . They see it, but remain cautious and for the most part silent, for obvious reasons related to red tape, in bureaucratic bandwidth. That's a whole 'nother subject...

Angela, it is strong ! But after it has sat infused for a few weeks, it blends to a more mellow taste-though still eye opening smile Some people don't like it- for most, it isn't a matter of liking it- it's a matter of keeping a strong immune system, and not becoming direly ill , or lessening the symptoms if already fighting mid term illness. As a maintenance , it doesn't take much- a tablespoon every day or two is all...that isn't very much, and can be swallowed fast with a chaser liquid, if needed. You do get used to the taste, and it isn't that bad after a while. I mentioned earlier, that strangely, for me and some others I know who take it, when you feel fine, it has more bite, though not unbearable, and you don't tarry in swallowing anyway. But when you have a raging sore throat, you would think it will burn like crazy , but it doesn't . It actually feels soothing going down. I can't explain this, but for me and some others I've heard, report the same thing. When I feel like something is trying to affect me, I immediately take a tablespoon 4 or 5 times a day . The good thing of this, is that it is forgiving in amount - they are herbs combined , not drugs with strict dosage limits. Because of it's make up, I've never heard anyone taking too much...likely due to the bit of heat smile

Scott, I just buy them at a local grocer who specializes in fresh good produce . Natural food stores with a produce dept would also likely carry these and others. Just try your local stores. Most all would carry the main herbs- garlic, onion, peppers, ACV, even ginger and horseradish, but turmeric root-fresh, meaning not ground powder as a spice seasoning, would be the challenge to find. If that isn't available , I have heard that the powder can of course be used, it's just fresh herbs are the strongest and best in nutrients. Online, I'm sure anything can be ordered . I really love Azure Standard, a company who carries all kinds of foods, farm equipment, specialized things, and otherwise. You have to just scan their website to see the plethora of goods they offer. Quality , too.

Andrew, it does have bite, but after it sets infused with ACV for a while, it really does mellow out-just enough to be able to use. Large amounts aren't ingested, so dealing with a tablespoon at a time isn't hard to do. It can be mixed in water, sweetened , or just add some honey , Agave Nectar, stevia, or other sweetener to taste...that helps too. I just take it as is, you can have a chaser liquid ready if needed. I have actually got used to the taste . It is much preferred than "medicines" ingested that just deal with symptoms, and not the cause.

When you feel that sore throat coming on, that dread of coming down with what so many are getting around you, a tablespoon several times in the span of a day, for as many days as needed till you feel better, is a small price to pay.

Sir Ken...at least this doesn't smell like Hio-Hio-Ipsonyoh wink

Jeff, danvee , absolutely the very same herbs used in seasoning venison and other things ! Lots of folks , when the herb pieces are strained out , use them in salad dressings, marinade seasoning in cooking, even giving them to livestock , or as compost. No waste !

Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789726
03/02/20 02:39 PM
03/02/20 02:39 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Sharon, forgive me if you already answered this...

How big a dose per day?

(Boatload of vitamin C in those peppers)

Mike

Last edited by Mike in A-town; 03/02/20 02:45 PM.

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Forewarned is Forearmed : Master Tonic [Re: Sharon] #6789773
03/02/20 03:31 PM
03/02/20 03:31 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Mike, sources say a tablespoon every day or two days...I don't take it that often, but on just a maintenance program, I do try to remember this through a portion of the week. It's been a while anyway since I've been on this, but have needed to make more , and so I did finally. I don't want to be without this , with flu season , especially.

Other folks don't take it at all until flu season, then start up that program , to build up immunity and have it in their system in the case of infection. Then theres others who don't take it even then, not till they start feeling sick-in the very beginning , sore throat, upset stomach , feverish...then they load up with a tablespoon every few hours, 4-5 through the span of a day , for as many days needed .

In my opinion, a steady "drip" maintenance program of this, year round, is the best, in keeping immune system at peak levels all the time, with a big boost in ammo when sickness comes around.

You bet there's a boatload of C -in all those peppers. Much more than in citrus . Also, natural decongestant, warming (which relieves pain ) , rich in capsaicin which protects cells against cancer and heart disease , decreased cluster headaches , regulates blood sugar, anti- inflammatory, stimulate blood flow, which equals cleaning, healing oxygen to needed areas, white cell movement , toxins flushed, loaded with potassium , has iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, copper , manganese, along with phytochemicals or antioxidants to help protect the onset of disease, speeds up metabolism .

With all that goodness in just hot peppers alone , imagine all those vitamins and nutrients totally absorbed by the body, instead of synthesized vitamins that the body cannot absorb and just ends up being eliminated ! That's just a drop in the bucket along with all the things the other ingredients have in them also grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread