Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Coyote Bait? #6791635
03/04/20 10:43 AM
03/04/20 10:43 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
Still doing some research for my home schooled coyote trapper project, and have been getting up to speed on Robert Waddell. He seems to have it pretty well dialed in.

Anyway, found this reference to 4 tips on his blog site......

https://onemansquestforathousandcoy...s-to-make-you-better-coyote-trapper.html

OK, makes sense....but what bait?

So then I found this.......pretty informative about what makes a good bait........except??

Except.......no mention of any brand. I get the idea that maybe Robert was keeping all he was making for himself and a few associates?

So what brand is out there that is along the lines of what he is making?

Last edited by HayDay; 03/04/20 11:11 AM.
Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6791677
03/04/20 11:38 AM
03/04/20 11:38 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Ask the ten best coyote men you can find what the best bait is and you will get 12 different answers. Your best bet is to ask the coyotes in your area yourself by testing. Take the video you linked above as an example, my testing has shown that there are better meats for a base than bobcat meat in my area.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6791702
03/04/20 12:04 PM
03/04/20 12:04 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
I have found plain beaver liver works. So does fish. As does cavens, carmans, RK, Beaudettes froggy ed, grawes mustang sally.

You just gotta test it like was said above. For example, i bought grawes prairie fire bait, never caught a coyote, but i would have been the possum trapping king in arkansas with that bait. Couldn't keep possums out of the sets baited with prairie fire. But, grawes mustang sally was nailin the yotes.

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6791753
03/04/20 12:59 PM
03/04/20 12:59 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by HayDay
Still doing some research for my home schooled coyote trapper project, and have been getting up to speed on Robert Waddell. He seems to have it pretty well dialed in.

Anyway, found this reference to 4 tips on his blog site......

https://onemansquestforathousandcoy...s-to-make-you-better-coyote-trapper.html

OK, makes sense....but what bait?

So then I found this.......pretty informative about what makes a good bait........except??

Except.......no mention of any brand. I get the idea that maybe Robert was keeping all he was making for himself and a few associates?

So what brand is out there that is along the lines of what he is making?

I have been using keg creek baits for the last 6 years with very good results . And easy people to work with.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6791879
03/04/20 04:17 PM
03/04/20 04:17 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Getting dialed in on your season homework planning , master a couple of good basic set types, anti freeze method as needed, and fine tune your location selection abilities is where the answers lie.

What most can't understand and don't see in any video or end of the day catches is the behind the scenes planning, experience and work ethic that makes it all look easy.

Lure and bait are only tools for the trapper that make things work better. The rest is hard work, finding good animal populations/habitat and as many naturally occurring draw > dead dump stations to take advantage of the more frequent visitations. Man made draw stations can be employed if you have the time and want to put the work into it.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6791893
03/04/20 04:38 PM
03/04/20 04:38 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Have you asked the MO guys here? https://motrappin.freeforums.net/
or officers here? https://www.missouritrappers.com/officers ..you DO belong to your state assn, don't you? This is just another reason we should all belong to our home state assn.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: traprjohn] #6792107
03/04/20 08:09 PM
03/04/20 08:09 PM
Northern Ky
T
Thumb Catcher Offline
trapper
Thumb Catcher  Offline
trapper
T

Northern Ky

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6793138
03/05/20 11:41 PM
03/05/20 11:41 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
not only will a lot of different baits work. Some just might be better than others certain times of the season.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6793326
03/06/20 09:38 AM
03/06/20 09:38 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
I would bet there is a difference from region to region. I've tried so many baits and although you won't catch them all on any bait some things that I discovered are:

Deer liver: My number one go to bait. It's natural and during bow and gun season the coyotes feast on it. I often mix it with deer hair or the deer hair from around the tarsel gland. Deer lung is almost as good. Check your state regulations first.

Deer meat: Almost as effective as liver. Again, check your state regs.

Beaver: Widely used in many area with success but the coyotes just don't respond to it here.
Beaver carcass's are left untouched and eaten as a last resort.

Commercial baits: Tried a lot of them, have had limited success on Hiawatha Valley, mostly on young coyotes.

Lure: Hands down, bobcat gland lure just plain kills coyotes here and the best I've used is Weisers.

I realize this is what I have found in my area and I'm sure its totally different in other areas.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6793344
03/06/20 10:02 AM
03/06/20 10:02 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
I appreciate all the responses and help.

What I picked up on the video, and why I mentioned it was the reference to taking a meat base, putting a light taint on it to get the odor to carry.......and then adding the fatty acid scent to it in the form of various fats and oils. A bait a coyote would want to eat.....so would work for vs. something they might roll in.

If all the commercial made baits follow this basic method......and all are more or less the same.......differing by meat base, glands, fats, etc, then it does get down to testing a few of them. But if it turns out that only 10% or so of them are made like that, then I would like to focus on those to start and work my way out from there.

And I also know that bait alone is no magic bullet. Only one piece of a much larger puzzle. My big focus for now is on location. Where coyotes are likely to be and just as important.......why.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6793474
03/06/20 12:47 PM
03/06/20 12:47 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Location is key. I noticed several of my sets had multiple catches while other a few hundred yards away remained untouched. Same cover same sets and bait. Recognizing what stands out and makes some spots hot and others duds are the key. If we do this we can put out less sets per location and spend less time there with the same catch rate. Going further being able to recognize other hot spots I walk past will increase the catch rate. I'm working on it but it will be a life long lesson.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6794711
03/07/20 04:43 PM
03/07/20 04:43 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
In my area I experimented this year. Early season eggs, both hard boiled and raw seemed to work very well. December and January the baits that worked best for me were mice, skunk meat and a Keg Creek bait.

Last edited by Wild_Idaho; 03/07/20 04:44 PM.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6794969
03/07/20 08:51 PM
03/07/20 08:51 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
I made that same bait from that video but with bobcat meat and didn’t catch any coyotes, but I did catch a bomber bobcat. Well at last years prices it would have been a bomber cat haha. The only cat I’ve ever caught with a buried trap or with bait.

Last edited by cat_trapper_nv; 03/07/20 08:53 PM. Reason: I’m a idiot and don’t proof read ever. You would think I would have learned that by now, but I haven’t. Maybe one day. Definitely not today. I’m not going to proof read this “reason for edit” because I’m doing it on my phone and it’s a pain to scroll.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795118
03/07/20 11:35 PM
03/07/20 11:35 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas

What I picked up on the video, and why I mentioned it was the reference to taking a meat base, putting a light taint on it to get the odor to carry.......and then adding the fatty acid scent to it in the form of various fats and oils. A bait a coyote would want to eat.....so would work for vs. something they might roll in.

If all the commercial made baits follow this basic method......and all are more or less the same.......differing by meat base, glands, fats, etc, then it does get down to testing a few of them. But if it turns out that only 10% or so of them are made like that, then I would like to focus on those to start and work my way out from there.

And I also know that bait alone is no magic bullet. Only one piece of a much larger puzzle. My big focus for now is on location. Where coyotes are likely to be and just as important.......why.

I think the problem is there's no commercial maker that's going to tell you the recipe to his bait. I would bet most have an oil of some kind in them. But not all oils are equally attractive, nor are glands and also the amounts used will cause different reactions to a bait. A good place to START your testing is as Robert said "if your dog wont eat it then a coyote probably won't either" if your wanting an edible bait.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795130
03/07/20 11:46 PM
03/07/20 11:46 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Well I just put some sets out with slightly tainted bobcat leg bones with a good amount of the meat cut off. I’ll let y’all know how it works. It’s worked in the past, we shall see.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795390
03/08/20 11:07 AM
03/08/20 11:07 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida

You are putting way too much thought and maybe time into this.

Go to a local deer processor and get some blood shot scraps with maybe the livers, hearts, and empty stomachs.....grind or cut into usable-size pieces...preserves with sodium benzoate..and add glycerin if too dry. Ready to use..

If you cant get the deer meat/parts...get as many beaver tails as you can...grind or cut into small chunks...put in vented amd fly-proof bucket over summer....by next fall it should be making oil. No preservative needed....ready to use..

For a good change up: add skunk essence to either the deer bait or beaver tail bait. Can also take your favorite coyote lure....or any coyote lure....about 4 oz to a gallon of bait...and mix with the bait.

If bait making ain't 4 u....buy commercially...but you won't get any info about ingredients from a manufacturer. Would you give out your commercial formulas?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795512
03/08/20 03:10 PM
03/08/20 03:10 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
No, I would not expect any commercial bait maker to spill the beans, but was hoping someone might be making something highly similar and suggest that. I don't see a lot of difference between a BK Whopper or Sonic Double Cheeseburger, etc. Just looking for a similar. Week old, off color gas station sushi would not be a similar.

And I also appreciate the suggestion on the simplicity of the deer meat bait substitute. I've already got the 3 year old deer meat in the freezer.....not eaten as the processing was suspect to begin with. I can think of a few other things I've already got to kick that up a notch to make that appealing to dogs.......so ought to work.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795789
03/08/20 09:28 PM
03/08/20 09:28 PM
Huntingdon Co. Pa.
F
forestman3 Offline
trapper
forestman3  Offline
trapper
F

Huntingdon Co. Pa.
I will say this,if your in good coyote area and the prices stay where they are for next year,I wouldn`t be wasting my time trying to make a bait.Get some Apple road bait and go catch some coyotes.I have used it out west,in Pa. and down south and it worked for me.If the bottom falls out of the coyote market,That`s when I would play with new stuff,but that`s just me.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6795825
03/08/20 10:11 PM
03/08/20 10:11 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
I let the people who have dedicated their lives to lure and bait formulations make my bait. My time is better spent learning other aspects of trapping. Just my advice.

Re: Coyote Bait? [Re: HayDay] #6796054
03/09/20 09:18 AM
03/09/20 09:18 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Hay day if I had a freezer full of venison I would take three packages of ground venison , fry one , taint one and use one fresh. Now you’ve got until next fall to see which one they like the best . Better yet put a camera on each bait hole and post the results on here .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91