Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Cordless Chainsaws? #6796436
03/09/20 03:15 PM
03/09/20 03:15 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Anybody using these out on the trapline yet?I know a couple guys that have been using the Stihls and are really liking them. Anybody using other brands?

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Cordless Chainsaws? [Re: yukon254] #6796448
03/09/20 03:41 PM
03/09/20 03:41 PM
Interior Alaska
G
GUK Offline
trapper
GUK  Offline
trapper
G

Interior Alaska
I have the Milwaukee with two of the big batteries. It will cut an amazing amount of wood per charge.

GUK.....it's the sound they make when they hit the end of the cable
Re: Cordless Chainsaws? [Re: yukon254] #6796568
03/09/20 07:10 PM
03/09/20 07:10 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
You have to stay with the name brands, like the power companies use which cost. The Harbor Freight merchandise is just trimming as are most electric saws.

They cheap ones are as easy to use as the expensive ones. The plastic appears more on the cheap ones. They are really easy to assemble and deal with though. Just put in chain oil and zip away. Some have a cut off if they get too hot, meaning the battery heats up. The batteries surprised me though in how quickly they take charge.

For the money though, I think a gas chainsaw is still better, as long as you put clean fuel in it, do not let the diaphragm dry out, and maintain them. They run basically forever.

Re: Cordless Chainsaws? [Re: star flakes] #6796578
03/09/20 07:33 PM
03/09/20 07:33 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by star flakes
You have to stay with the name brands, like the power companies use which cost. The Harbor Freight merchandise is just trimming as are most electric saws.

They cheap ones are as easy to use as the expensive ones. The plastic appears more on the cheap ones. They are really easy to assemble and deal with though. Just put in chain oil and zip away. Some have a cut off if they get too hot, meaning the battery heats up. The batteries surprised me though in how quickly they take charge.

For the money though, I think a gas chainsaw is still better, as long as you put clean fuel in it, do not let the diaphragm dry out, and maintain them. They run basically forever.

Yea,there's no way an electric saw will ever replace a gas powered saw. The guys that I know are using them primarily for light trail work and maybe building sets. The only plus I have heard over small gas saws is the fact that there is no rewind to freeze up. My country is heavy timber country and theres nothing more frustrating than coming to a tree across the trail and then have the rewind froze up on the saw. I can usually thaw it out by putting it under the exhaust on my machine for a few minutes but that takes time.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Cordless Chainsaws? [Re: yukon254] #6796886
03/10/20 01:22 AM
03/10/20 01:22 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
I have an Echo 58 volt chainsaw. I like being able to grab it and whack down a trail sweeper without having to warm the saw up first. It doesn't replace my gas burner though. It has some sort of battery temp sensor that wont let it run in extreme cold even with a fully charged battery.

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman