Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Homemade Trap Drags #6797666
03/10/20 08:02 PM
03/10/20 08:02 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
Hey guys Im completely new to coyote trapping with drags but I hear they are well worth it in the right areas. Since Im a cheapskate I decided to just make my own out of material we had laying around our shop instead of buying new ones. I would like input from you guys whether good or bad on how I did on the designs. Id be lying If I said I knew their weight but Im guessing close to or exceeding 5Lbs. I figured more weight would only help since Id rather not be searching far.

C55B0489-8F7C-46CB-B4DB-E893CF67A363.jpegE64759A8-A777-4D4C-BFC4-0E0231453788.jpeg
Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: T-REV] #6797705
03/10/20 08:30 PM
03/10/20 08:30 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Doesn't look like those will get drug too far. Now add 8' - 10' of chain and you should be good to go.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: T-REV] #6797769
03/10/20 09:23 PM
03/10/20 09:23 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I will say they do look very nice construction wise but my question is : what type of drag/effect where you after? Aggressive plowing for open ground or just something to be used in the thickets And to catch on to debris ,brush and such ?

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: Wolfdog91] #6797784
03/10/20 09:45 PM
03/10/20 09:45 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
I would have to say both. The property I plan to use them on has a long winding gravel road down the center and planted pines around 6ft or so tall plus all the old stumps and tree trash where it was previously logged a few years back. I made them overly aggressive for if the coyote decides to run down the road a few yards before it darts in the brush. Plus Ill be checking the traps early in the am before I go to work so a highly visible drag trail and a short distance walk helps me a ton.

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: T-REV] #6799452
03/12/20 12:37 PM
03/12/20 12:37 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I see you are in GA and I'm in NC, and I trap many logging/woods rds, allowing me to PRE-HOOK a drag to a sapling or log, using 6 ft of chain. WHY? because WHEN a coon or cat climbs, it will still only be head high making dispatch easy. And , NO searching for a catch.
Who has time for that?
I've know several guys that had a cat 10 ft up a tree and had to log or climb for dispatch, so i'll learn from them.
By pre-hooking, a 1 lb mini drag is great, too.
If you're gona drag in more open ground, then heavy, long chains are best.
As another bonus of short chained pre-hooking, the scent of a catch stays close to the set and attract more critters to the re-make.
Drags are faster than driving a stake, too.
Not sure of your situation, but hope I helped some.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: traprjohn] #6800311
03/13/20 08:36 AM
03/13/20 08:36 AM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
Originally Posted by traprjohn
I see you are in GA and I'm in NC, and I trap many logging/woods rds, allowing me to PRE-HOOK a drag to a sapling or log, using 6 ft of chain. WHY? because WHEN a coon or cat climbs, it will still only be head high making dispatch easy. And , NO searching for a catch.
Who has time for that?
I've know several guys that had a cat 10 ft up a tree and had to log or climb for dispatch, so i'll learn from them.
By pre-hooking, a 1 lb mini drag is great, too.
If you're gona drag in more open ground, then heavy, long chains are best.
As another bonus of short chained pre-hooking, the scent of a catch stays close to the set and attract more critters to the re-make.
Drags are faster than driving a stake, too.
Not sure of your situation, but hope I helped some.

Thanks friend any advice from a fellow trapper is worth my time to listen to. That is a good point about the cats climbing the trees. Thankfully the property Im trapping only has pine saplings about 6ft tall so no worries on the critters being out of reach. I done some scouting and found a muddy spot where trucks have rutted out a low spot in the road with thicket and high weeds on each side. Coyote tracks and scat all over the higher dry hump in the center of the road. Should make a deadly blind set location. If we could ever get a decent break in this rain Im anxious to try it.

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: T-REV] #6800426
03/13/20 10:46 AM
03/13/20 10:46 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Ive made hundreds of drags over the years and prefer the one on the right of your pic although mine are single points 1 up 1 down those will dig into grass just like hooking a sapling As I used scrap metal some were heavy 8 lb+ 4 to 6 ft of chain was plenty even used 1/8 in cable extensions with quick links on each end roll them up keeps back of truck from turning into a iron beaverdam AND coyotes can go for a long ways down a road with a light drag and 7-8 feet of chain just sayin

olden tyred
Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: jeff karsten] #6800471
03/13/20 11:36 AM
03/13/20 11:36 AM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Ive made hundreds of drags over the years and prefer the one on the right of your pic although mine are single points 1 up 1 down those will dig into grass just like hooking a sapling As I used scrap metal some were heavy 8 lb+ 4 to 6 ft of chain was plenty even used 1/8 in cable extensions with quick links on each end roll them up keeps back of truck from turning into a iron beaverdam AND coyotes can go for a long ways down a road with a light drag and 7-8 feet of chain just sayin

I prefer the one on the right myself. The next ones I build will be like it. I plan on using 10ft of chain on these so hopefully between the chain length and over aggressive drags I wont be searching far.

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: T-REV] #6800551
03/13/20 12:31 PM
03/13/20 12:31 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
T-Rev:

I use drags exclusively on cats and about 50/50 on coyotes. My only comment on your drags is that the two on the left would work fine for cats (in my country it doesn't take much for a drag to work), but they would be pretty bulky to bury for coyotes. I have no doubt they would work, but they would require a lot of excavation work and depending on your location and the type of set you were putting in, they may not be as appealing as something smaller but just as efficient. For example, if I am setting coyote traps and I want to put in a subtle flat set in difficult soil, I'm going to lean toward a stake or at least a smaller drag.

The second comment is with regard to the drag on the far right. The double prong idea is novel and would probably work. My only suggestion is that based on my experience, drags with a longer "shank-to-prong" ratio work better. By that I mean, if the shank is too short and the prongs too wide, the drag tends to twist side to side a lot more, rather than pull straight. It therefore becomes easier for the animal to untangle as opposed to a drag with a longer shank and narrower prong. Just my two cents worth. Carry on!!

Re: Homemade Trap Drags [Re: Lazarus] #6800849
03/13/20 05:42 PM
03/13/20 05:42 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline OP
trapper
T-REV  Offline OP
trapper
T

West GA
Originally Posted by Lazarus
T-Rev:

I use drags exclusively on cats and about 50/50 on coyotes. My only comment on your drags is that the two on the left would work fine for cats (in my country it doesn't take much for a drag to work), but they would be pretty bulky to bury for coyotes. I have no doubt they would work, but they would require a lot of excavation work and depending on your location and the type of set you were putting in, they may not be as appealing as something smaller but just as efficient. For example, if I am setting coyote traps and I want to put in a subtle flat set in difficult soil, I'm going to lean toward a stake or at least a smaller drag.

The second comment is with regard to the drag on the far right. The double prong idea is novel and would probably work. My only suggestion is that based on my experience, drags with a longer "shank-to-prong" ratio work better. By that I mean, if the shank is too short and the prongs too wide, the drag tends to twist side to side a lot more, rather than pull straight. It therefore becomes easier for the animal to untangle as opposed to a drag with a longer shank and narrower prong. Just my two cents worth. Carry on!!

I would have to agree with you on the 2 rebar drags not burying well for coyotes. I also see what you mean about the width of the prongs vs the length of the shank. The next ones I build I will remedy that issue. Thank you for the advice friend!

Last edited by T-REV; 03/13/20 05:42 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91