Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver Glands other than castors .... #6803177
03/15/20 04:22 PM
03/15/20 04:22 PM
Cass Co Missouri
RKR Offline OP
trapper
RKR  Offline OP
trapper

Cass Co Missouri
Are there any other beaver glands worth harvesting for use in a coyote bait?

I already harvest the casters and oil sacks.

I've noticed that beavers have very large thyroid glands, and there's a little bean shaped gland under each of their armpits in the front. I was just wondering if those glands or of any use predator lure.

I guess my goal for asking would be to have as many beavery smelling things (read sent layers) in my bait as possible. but I don't want to add something that will just cause it to rot.

Last edited by RKR; 03/15/20 04:24 PM.

You learn something new everyday.....IF you pay attention
Re: Beaver Glands other than castors .... [Re: RKR] #6803444
03/15/20 07:49 PM
03/15/20 07:49 PM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"

Misery
I've wondered this myself....ill be waiting anxiously

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: Beaver Glands other than castors .... [Re: RKR] #6806765
03/18/20 08:11 AM
03/18/20 08:11 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I was waiting for someone that has tried using these extra glands, as I have not . I have however tried rotted oil sacks and honey, used the honey as a preservative and added glycerin to help set the smell and gain a little volume. When testing ,the tracks in the dirt said the coyotes were attracted to it . After reading something that Andy Wieser said in these pages I tested a very small amount on my jagd . He was immediately interested and went right to licking the pea size amount off of the wooden spoon, then immediately went to yacking and would not even smell it again. This is the same result that Andy had with his dog. This being said the attractiveness was undeniable, to k-9’s in general. The problem now lies in how to use it , I had originally planned to use it in and on a pipe . As long as the coyote is caught before he gets a taste I think you would be ok , but this means making sure it is down inside the pipe or dirt hole.

Back to your original question , I don’t think adding the extra glands would hurt the attractiveness of rotted oil sacks. You did not state if you were going to rot , taint or use this fresh. I would be very interested to test a fresh batch of ground oil sacks , with or without the extra glands. More importantly is will this fresh concoction be palatable? The last thing I want is to do is repel a coyote , I think it’s important to use a bait or lure that brings your target back for more if you don’t catch him the first time .
Good luck,
Don

Re: Beaver Glands other than castors .... [Re: RKR] #6808250
03/19/20 09:57 AM
03/19/20 09:57 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
I’ve been using those Pea sized glands for years. I make a homemade predator lure by taking those glands and the surrounding fat and basically rotting them down. Its an unusual smell I make two kinds one an early season type of lure with nothing really added and I make a late season type of lure with just a hint of skunk. These are very unique and unusual, the smell works well on the coyotes and the rest of the predators.

Re: Beaver Glands other than castors .... [Re: RKR] #6816903
03/25/20 12:26 PM
03/25/20 12:26 PM
Maine
K
Kired Offline
trapper
Kired  Offline
trapper
K

Maine
I took some oil sacs and a chewed up castor and mixed it up, what do you suppose would be the best way to preserve it? Never really made my own lure to experiment with, plan on adding some birch oil maybe poplar oil.

Re: Beaver Glands other than castors .... [Re: Kired] #6817441
03/25/20 09:14 PM
03/25/20 09:14 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I use chopped or ground castor with some oil sac oil mixed in, never found a need to add anything else. If you toss it in the freezer and take it out next season it will be fine, no need for preservatives. If it does dry out on you or you are using overdried castor just add a little more oil to moisten it up.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91