Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Marten lure? [Re: bearcat2] #6810058
03/20/20 04:10 PM
03/20/20 04:10 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I have tried many different lures over the years. Hands down for my area is a skunky castor based lure, like Paul's Skunky Back Breaker.

I really wish the guy that made that Dead Horse Gulch was still in business, that stuff was the bomb as far as using just skunk!

I have tried many different blends as you describe but my problem is keeping it from freezing. Add to much glycol or glycerin and you lose the smell, don't add enough and it freezes. I just have not found that perfect combo or ratio.

Another aspect of using lure is what you put it on or how you use it. Talking to Ted he had some very valid points on using wings or feathers. They don't absorb the lure like a piece of wood or a stick does and allows distribution of the scent for a much longer duration.

Re: Marten lure? [Re: bearcat2] #6810542
03/20/20 09:37 PM
03/20/20 09:37 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
If you want skunky smells, pure quill in peanut oil. Don't mix it in anything else of the smell will fade quickly. Stays liquid to about 10 below and the smell will be strong for years. I do less than an ounce in a syrup squirt bottle, and it is PLENTY strong.

Re: Marten lure? [Re: bearcat2] #6826249
04/01/20 09:01 PM
04/01/20 09:01 PM
Alberta Canada
N
nube Offline
trapper
nube  Offline
trapper
N

Alberta Canada
I used all kinds of bought stuff. Marten Magic and gusto worked well but cost too much. I basically make my own now and it is way less money and I catch the same as bought stuff. I buy a jar of vaseline and melt it then I toss in an ounce of skunk essence and stir it around. I have added other stuff to it like fish oil and castor and other things but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Vaseline and skunk essence is the best I find. It is easy to use in very cold temps and it stinks from a mile away and is cheap

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman