Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Nuisance Chipmunk Job #6831140
04/05/20 01:17 PM
04/05/20 01:17 PM
Georgia
L
Luke C Offline OP
trapper
Luke C  Offline OP
trapper
L

Georgia
Hey fellas, I've been doing a nuisance chipmunk job for the past couple of days. I don't have much experience with these guys besides the occasional one that accidentally steps in a blind foothold. I do have a lot of experience with groundhogs though and figured it'd be similar.

Basically, this homeowner has chipmunk burrows all over her yard. I set a few exclusion cages with the door on top of the most active looking burrows and laid bricks and stuff on top of the least active looking burrows. Similar technique I use on groundhog burrows to force them into a foothold. I also set some big mouse traps in the gutters that they were going in. I set these traps on Thursday and still nothing in the exclusion traps. All the mouse traps were set but nothing was in them. This could be due to squirrels or opossums though because she has a lot of them too. I put out some poison bait stations today so hopefully that'll get some.

I'm just really stressed because normally I would have caught something by now. I figured maybe the chipmunks are weary of the exclusion traps and just staying in the burrows but I'm really not sure. Like I said, this is my first time intentionally trapping chipmunks so if anyone has any advice or input that would be great. Thanks!

Re: Nuisance Chipmunk Job [Re: Luke C] #6831191
04/05/20 01:58 PM
04/05/20 01:58 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I trap appox. 100 a year. I use Victor rat traps. Bend the pointed part of the trigger up and put Chinese Chestnut, acorn, macadamia nut or anything else they eat in your neck of the woods on it.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Nuisance Chipmunk Job [Re: Luke C] #6831307
04/05/20 04:20 PM
04/05/20 04:20 PM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
I use Victor Rat Trap. Peanut butter on pan or a whole (in shell) peanut tied to pan.
I place Rat Trap in Weasel Box, then I'm only targeting Chipmunks so birds, pets and other animals cant get to trap.
I put a little cracked corn or bird seed on bottom of entrance hole, if corn is gone I know to check trap for likely catch.

If you don't own Weasel boxes, use any cardboard box with 1 1/2" hole. If rain is a problem, Bend aluminum flashing for make shift box or make small boxes of wood.
*Tip- Cardboard boxes can be used to cover Mouse Traps in homes to prevent pets from snapping traps.

Re: Nuisance Chipmunk Job [Re: Luke C] #6831332
04/05/20 04:52 PM
04/05/20 04:52 PM
Georgia
L
Luke C Offline OP
trapper
Luke C  Offline OP
trapper
L

Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been using Kat Sense mouse snap traps and a couple of Kat Sense mouse tube traps. I use peanut butter with some bird seed sprinkled on top for the bait. I'm just really surprised I haven't got anything. I made some perfect placements too. I guess I'll see what happens the next few days and switch over to the suggested

Re: Nuisance Chipmunk Job [Re: Luke C] #6831471
04/05/20 07:25 PM
04/05/20 07:25 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association