ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Victor OOS mods #5554094
06/16/16 09:57 AM
06/16/16 09:57 AM
East OK & West AR
Okiecntry Offline OP
trapper
Okiecntry  Offline OP
trapper

East OK & West AR
I have purchased a couple batches of used ones recently to use in my yard. Some of them are really used with rounded off dogs that will hardly stay set and some are the newer painted ones that seem like too much tension. How to you guys that use them on a regular basis adjust them? Do you just clean and square everything up? Set on hair trigger or make a night latch notch? Anything else?

I ordered a dozen of Steve's traps but also want to use these as I'm only home on the weekends so want to make use of every trap for the day or two that I get to set them. I caught one last weekend but my wife thinks since I can catch a truck load of furbearers that I should be able to do the same on these pesky little moles. LOL

Thanks for your help!

Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Okiecntry] #5554988
06/17/16 08:16 AM
06/17/16 08:16 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
That is one of the challenges of the O/S traps. They are strong but they can be modified to fire with less effort by the animal. That is one of the reasons I stopped using them several years ago once I developed a system for Steve's traps. I was getting traps pushed up that did not fire at times. Have to make sure the jaws are anchored well.

They are effective but are heavy and bulky. However, you need to keep up with the tuning with a file as they will corrode at the point of contact of the dog and pan system causing more pressure needed to fire them.

Lots of guys use them and like them. Like any new device you have to become familiar with its function. Not unlike some coil spring traps you use in fur trapping they need some work. Take off the burrs and excess rust at the lock up point. I always put some Vaseline on my traps to help reduce the friction and to help with the trap firing with less force needed to make it fire.

Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Okiecntry] #5555289
06/17/16 02:51 PM
06/17/16 02:51 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Follow BJ's suggestions if you are only going to use your batch of OOS traps in your yard. Another option for those of us trapping moles as a business is to upgrade to the stainless steel dog and offset pan kit offered by BUD25. Their was a discussion on Mole Traps a week or so ago but also learn to use the Archives to glean more info/tips on the use of this trap.

My situation is opposite of BJ's with challenges in using Steve's traps. I'm in sandy soils and moles have a tendency of "digging under" this fine little trap. The majority of my mole trapping is conducted on surface/foraging tunnels using the upgraded OOS trap and the Talpex. Trapping in the deeper mole runs/tunnels (thus producing mole mounds) using Steve's trap happens only during the heat/drought of our summers or on non-irrigated trapping locations. Moles are following their food source and/or traveling to the deeper part of their dens when they start throwing mounds. I continue to use and have greater success using this trap "upside down" in these deeper mole runs.

Differing habitat/soil types, climate, mole subspecies/behavior, and time (experience!) put in chasing this lil' bugger will determine if you can ever load the truck for the wife!

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Okiecntry] #5555967
06/18/16 09:29 AM
06/18/16 09:29 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
I make one modification right out of the box other than scraping the lil bit of paint that forms a bump on the trigger rod

That one second modification i do and the way i set the trap creates a very quick firing of the trap no matter what soil. I have sandy, clay, and that good iowa black loamy dirt.

Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Bob Jameson] #6842613
04/14/20 09:20 PM
04/14/20 09:20 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Online content
trapper
AJE  Online Content
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I was getting traps pushed up that did not fire at times. Have to make sure the jaws are anchored well.

What are the best ways to avoid this issue with OOS traps? I haven't noticed this issue per se, but I have little experience with OOS & just want to ensure I'm doing everything I can to anchor them properly & maximize their productiveness. As was mentioned in another thread recently, I plan to put a little dirt around jaw slots to keep sunlight out (I suspect this might also help anchor them better).

Last edited by AJE; 04/14/20 09:27 PM.
Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Okiecntry] #6842669
04/14/20 09:49 PM
04/14/20 09:49 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Dig open tunnel...find the tunnel so you know where to center trap...push set trap into ground (keep setters on trap as handles) don't let trap fire until you get the top of the Jaws to the top of the tunnel...fire trap and wiggle back and forth as the trap Jaws cut the slots in the dirt
..pull out trap and reset...keep it on the side while you create the bump...then take trap with handles and keep your middle finger under pan as you push trap straight down...DO NOT WIGGLE BACK DOWN INTO SLOTS...wigglings reloosens the soil and trap...pushing straight down anchors the trap...even works in Sandy soils.

Re: Victor OOS mods [Re: Okiecntry] #6842837
04/14/20 11:34 PM
04/14/20 11:34 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Online content
trapper
AJE  Online Content
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Sounds worthy of a You Tube video