Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: The Beav] #6847143
04/18/20 07:32 PM
04/18/20 07:32 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by The Beav
it's going to take you 4 years to prove this? I haven't got that much time left.

I probably have less time than you.The NTA could always use the money..

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: The Beav] #6847149
04/18/20 07:42 PM
04/18/20 07:42 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by The Beav
it's going to take you 4 years to prove this? I haven't got that much time left.

Come on beav he called u out. Perfect time to prove your critics your not just all blow and no go.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6847236
04/18/20 09:10 PM
04/18/20 09:10 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
There are some good posts on the last few pages. Thanks to Jonesie and others who are posting things that make us think.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6847286
04/18/20 09:52 PM
04/18/20 09:52 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Teacher
All I have done is read and study. No, I haven’t tested anything.

Some of what I’ve read is that animals/birds orient themselves due to what researchers say is gravitational pull of the moon. I’ll buy that.

From what I observed of my catch this last fall, in sloppy mud conditions using both aluminum and steel screens over tightly pack traps, then covered with grass. You get where I’m coming from. Before the virus knocked me down, those pipe dream sets gave me the best season I’ve had in years. If it’s your belief magnetism is affecting your season, that’s fine. I’m not convinced it’s affecting mine.

How can you be so dismissive? You haven't forked over money for his book. Get with the program before one more animal detects the stench of minute amounts of magnetism at your sets and runs for the hills, leaving you penniless. smile

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6847402
04/19/20 12:05 AM
04/19/20 12:05 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Kirk, can you describe the hypothesis, the experiment, and the results/conclusions?
Basically that’s what I feel has to happen for you to be proven correct. And I do think that what you are saying is in theory possible. But one of the tenets of scientific inquiry is that the ideas and observations must be shared freely, and the results must be repeatable (devices and processes based on the ideas and phenomena one discovers are patentable, the knowledge itself is not). In this case, that means you can not expect others to “get a feel for it” because they have caught thousands of animals while keeping it in mind over the course of many years. What we need is a succinct experimental procedure(s) that tests your hypothesis, and which is clearly understandable, does not violate known previously demonstrated scientific principles, and is replicable and repeatable. Outside of that, we will all have to scratch our heads and debate and wonder if your idea is just voodoo or solidly based truth.
I’m not sure where the roundup talk comes from, I’m only discussing potential influence of magnetic objects or disruption of magnetic fields by magnetic objects.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6847481
04/19/20 07:12 AM
04/19/20 07:12 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Do the magnetic readings change with moon phases or high and low tides?
Do they "ever" change?

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Wright Brothers] #6847526
04/19/20 08:32 AM
04/19/20 08:32 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Do they "ever" change?

Answering this post and the one before it in detail should give you the answers you want. It’s gonna take me a while so be patient but should be glad you did.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6847573
04/19/20 09:25 AM
04/19/20 09:25 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Do they "ever" change?

Answering this post and the one before it in detail should give you the answers you want. It’s gonna take me a while so be patient but should be glad you did.

Animals are responding to the change in magnetic induction of the earth. That can be measured with a magnetometer. How that change affects each trapping device is the Key.
The Earth’s magnetic induction ranges from 25 micro tesla at the equator to 65 micro tesla at the North Pole.
The sun and the moon are the ones responsible for the change in the induction because of magnetism of the moon to the earth and the sunlight. Or properties of the sun.The further north you go the less the effect that the moon and sun is on the variance of the earth’s induction . So the further north you go the less induction change or intensity there is for the animal to sense. The hotter it is higher the intensity,. The colder it isThe lower the intensity. That’s why someone in Alaska would not experience the same change as someone in Florida. In fact in Alaska there would be very very little change. So they would never know the difference as someone in Florida being much lower closer to the equator.

Because of this the further north you go, the colder the climate more active the animals are because of the cold weather. They have to fatten up before winter.Because of the intensity is lower further North of the equator, the intensity is not as projected causing a more active animal to get caught. There is less induction change or higher intensity to be felt or sensed by the animal.

As far as the Moon is concerned the full moon could change the intensity of a trap as much is 20%. Most animals travel at night so if you set a trap That had a high intensity reading already and you checked it daily it would have a strong effect on your ability to catch the animal. If the full moon was high during daylight The intensity of the field would be lower during the time that the animals would be most active. Which would increase your catch.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: loosanarrow] #6847691
04/19/20 11:46 AM
04/19/20 11:46 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Kirk, can you describe the hypothesis, the experiment, and the results/conclusions?
Basically that’s what I feel has to happen for you to be proven correct. And I do think that what you are saying is in theory possible. But one of the tenets of scientific inquiry is that the ideas and observations must be shared freely, and the results must be repeatable (devices and processes based on the ideas and phenomena one discovers are patentable, the knowledge itself is not). In this case, that means you can not expect others to “get a feel for it” because they have caught thousands of animals while keeping it in mind over the course of many years. What we need is a succinct experimental procedure(s) that tests your hypothesis, and which is clearly understandable, does not violate known previously demonstrated scientific principles, and is replicable and repeatable. Outside of that, we will all have to scratch our heads and debate and wonder if your idea is just voodoo or solidly based truth.
I’m not sure where the roundup talk comes from, I’m only discussing potential influence of magnetic objects or disruption of magnetic fields by magnetic objects.

I could not see how I could get a patent on something I have had for years that some people have but Do not realize what they have.So I copyrighted and wrote a book . As my patent attorney said, “you’re not a known scientist it’s going to be hard for you to prove and be excepted , no matter that is accurate.”

I used to believe that the more open the trap the better way to catch the animal. I thought that if I have a trap that was completely open as it will make all the difference in the world. I found out it doesn’t, Unless the magnetic field is reduced inside the trap or device.
I noticed the animals responding to the different parts of the traps that I was using. I watched hours and hours of night vision videos. Because the way animals responding to the videos being projected by the camera I thought they were telling me something.I deducted that it was a magnetic field or a magnetic projection of ions. I did not have a magnetometer and I talked a local engineer at our electric co-op to meet me in a field to use his magnetometer. I brought a couple truckloads of traps and test and tested them. I went back and reviewed by results. I learned that I could turn my IiPhone into a magnetometer to do the tests.
Based on results I decided that the best way to test the traps were to set the traps almost side-by-side and see which traps caught the most animals. I also paid close attention is to how animals responded.
At eachtest site one trap had a high intensity field going through the trap and at least one trap had a low intensity field going thru it. Sometimes there were five pairs of traps at each location.I went over 100 locations testing beavers and Otters. I got to where I didn’t even want to take the high intensity traps.I found it was a waste of time and took away from being able to use other traps.
Because of what I learned I started testing footholds snares and conibears.That’s when I realized what I had found. That it affected the whole realm of the trapping industry.
Because I was a trap maker I had customers that had my traps and other traps that I knew had high intensity. They confirmed my testing by the results they shared. I found that unless the trapper had one of each type a high intensity trap and a low intensity trap they would never know the difference.

They both caught animals put the lower intensity trap caught up to 4-5 times more over a season of continuous trapping.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6847882
04/19/20 03:11 PM
04/19/20 03:11 PM
Republic of CO
Cootswatter Offline
trapper
Cootswatter  Offline
trapper

Republic of CO
So a 15" long cable stake drove 15" down has (no/some/major) effect on the magnetic field of the trap???

"I've come to chew bubble gum and to kick ars, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper - They Live
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Cootswatter] #6847899
04/19/20 03:23 PM
04/19/20 03:23 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Cootswatter
So a 15" long cable stake drove 15" down has (no/some/major) effect on the magnetic field of the trap???

Pull out your magnetometer and see.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6848538
04/20/20 07:38 AM
04/20/20 07:38 AM
Mich
B
bbrennan Offline
trapper
bbrennan  Offline
trapper
B

Mich
Please explain animals crawling under and through woven wire fences?

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: bbrennan] #6848569
04/20/20 08:08 AM
04/20/20 08:08 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by bbrennan

give me a little while and I’ll have time to get started on it. That’s a good question. There are several answers to Explain why some works one way better than another way.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: bbrennan] #6848700
04/20/20 09:45 AM
04/20/20 09:45 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by bbrennan

First of all the ability of an animal to to determine if a magnetic field is harmful or not is a learned ability. The more experiences he has while his brain is developing the better his chances are of survival.
A fence creates a field of its own. I would think that woven wire fence to a coyote would be like a screen in your microwave. If there was a hole in the fence It would show up as a tunnel in his vision Just like a reduced field inside of a conibear or a cage trap, or in this case a snare.

If he has the ability to key on a magnetic Emission or intensity the best way to reduce that emsission or intensity is to use a snare that has the smallest snare lock and smallest diameter cable with the fewest swivels possible.ADC On this forum has the best kill Pole set up and snare set up that I have seen to reduce The magnetic intensity that the animal may see.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6849395
04/20/20 08:22 PM
04/20/20 08:22 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Maybe in should bury a magnet at my bait test holes in the spot I would bed the trap and see what happens.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6849492
04/20/20 09:40 PM
04/20/20 09:40 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
I think everyone who is interested in this topic needs to start with an understanding of the differences and similarities of magnetic fields created by permanent magnets (or magnetized objects that can attract other metal objects) and electromagnetic energy fields. They can interact, but they are not the same thing. Again, they aren’t even measured by the same instruments, and they are quantified by different units.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6849531
04/20/20 10:22 PM
04/20/20 10:22 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I was actually being sarcastic. I guess you can say i am thinking this is like a conspiracy theory of.sorts. my method of trapping is K.I.S.S. This topic reminds me a lot of the contaminated trap theory. I am not saying the magnetic field isn't there, I am saying everyone has it and some guys catch big numbers and some guys don't. Some guys have good catch percentage and some don't. I would rather make a set with confidence and catch coyotes rather than worry about what might possibly go wrong. To each his own.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6849634
04/21/20 12:25 AM
04/21/20 12:25 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Well I’m the eternal skeptic also, especially considering my observations involving strong magnets. But I do leave open the possibility that magnetic forces may have some effect in certain situations. And I don’t think it is crazy talk to explore the idea, especially given that animals have been shown through solid experiments to use the earths magnetic poles to navigate, and that ability can be messed up by STRONG magnetic fields. These magnetic fields were much stronger than any hand size magnets can produce.
I admit I’m having a lot of trouble thinking that a coyote or beaver can “see” or sense the disruptions caused by metal they encounter in “everyday life”. HOWEVER: in a situation where an animal is on high alert, preceding cautiously, and trying to sense anything abnormal, I leave open the POSSIBILITY that it might be able able sense a disruption in magnetic field. But honestly, I think an animal that is on high alert is an animal that is already educated, and it seems relevant that I catch a lot of educated beaver “cleaning up” after other trappers and landowners try to catch them and EVERY ONE of those educated beaver are caught in a steel foot trap or a snare. Presumably those traps and snares have some effect on magnetic fields, so again it raises my skeptic flag. In the end, with foot traps and snares and body grips, I’m seriously doubting it has a SIGNIFICANT effect on my trapping success. But I really could be wrong. What will convince me are WELL DESIGNED experiments, with controls, that are repeatable and isolate magnetism as the test. And I can tell you this, beaver, coyotes, mink, and raccoon have no avoidance of a plain old strong magnet.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: loosanarrow] #6849671
04/21/20 05:29 AM
04/21/20 05:29 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Well I’m the eternal skeptic also, especially considering my observations involving strong magnets. But I do leave open the possibility that magnetic forces may have some effect in certain situations. And I don’t think it is crazy talk to explore the idea, especially given that animals have been shown through solid experiments to use the earths magnetic poles to navigate, and that ability can be messed up by STRONG magnetic fields. These magnetic fields were much stronger than any hand size magnets can produce.
I admit I’m having a lot of trouble thinking that a coyote or beaver can “see” or sense the disruptions caused by metal they encounter in “everyday life”. HOWEVER: in a situation where an animal is on high alert, preceding cautiously, and trying to sense anything abnormal, I leave open the POSSIBILITY that it might be able able sense a disruption in magnetic field. But honestly, I think an animal that is on high alert is an animal that is already educated, and it seems relevant that I catch a lot of educated beaver “cleaning up” after other trappers and landowners try to catch them and EVERY ONE of those educated beaver are caught in a steel foot trap or a snare. Presumably those traps and snares have some effect on magnetic fields, so again it raises my skeptic flag. In the end, with foot traps and snares and body grips, I’m seriously doubting it has a SIGNIFICANT effect on my trapping success. But I really could be wrong. What will convince me are WELL DESIGNED experiments, with controls, that are repeatable and isolate magnetism as the test. And I can tell you this, beaver, coyotes, mink, and raccoon have no avoidance of a plain old strong magnet.

Educated beaver

Everyone you caught with a foothold or snare set underwater the reason I’ve already explained on this written in my book. I said: Animals are responding to the change in magnetic induction of the earth. That can be measured with a magnetometer. How that change affects each trapping device is the Key.

The field can’t be measured underwater with the magnetometer. That’s why you set the trap under the water to hide the field.The beaver can’t sense it when it’s an underwater set.

You are arguing a moot point. There is no argument. The animal can’t sense when it’s a trap set under the water.
A magnetometer just gives you best indication as to what device might be best to use.

Last edited by Kirk De; 04/21/20 05:55 AM. Reason: Clarification

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: strike2x] #6849675
04/21/20 05:49 AM
04/21/20 05:49 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by strike2x
I was actually being sarcastic. I guess you can say i am thinking this is like a conspiracy theory of.sorts. my method of trapping is K.I.S.S. This topic reminds me a lot of the contaminated trap theory. I am not saying the magnetic field isn't there, I am saying everyone has it and some guys catch big numbers and some guys don't. Some guys have good catch percentage and some don't. I would rather make a set with confidence and catch coyotes rather than worry about what might possibly go wrong. To each his own.

It’s much easier to understand what works than why it works.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91